Space marines doing my nut in - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space marines doing my nut in

Rather than an actual army list this is a, am i doing something wrong with my lists sort of thread. My main opponents are tau, space marines and tyranids. I'm doing absoutely fine against nids and tau but the SM i win less than 20% of the games. I have been playing for about 5 months.

Please bear in mind that i do not want an anti-SM list, i want an all round list, but some tips on how to defeat my opponent.

Heres the average 2250 force i would field:

Deciever 300
    Lord, orb, chronometron, warscythe, gaze of flames, lightning field 200

10 warriors 180
    11 warriors 198
    11 warriors 198

4 destroyers 200
    3 destroyers 150
    3 destroyers 150

Monolith 235
    Monolith 235

My tactics include keeping one of the 11 strong in reserve and coming onto the board late game for my objectives and to protect me from phase out (unless i absolutely need them on the board). Using destroyers as snipers to outrange enemy elite units and pick them off, or to wipe swathes of incoming troops with their S6 Ap4. Using the Deciever as the "goalkeeper" only fighting combats i want to fight and allowing my troops to move along if neccesary. Monoliths as moving scenery for Decievers advance if the opponent is playing a gunline. Lord is equipped to allow the warrior unit to survive the combat before being ported out by monolith for 2x WBB.
    Hide destroyers and troops if neccesary and turbo boost to objectives in Non kill point games

The problem i'm having against SM is that all my tactics seem void. My destroyers are next to useless when theyre only killing one space marine per turn per squad, two if im really really lucky (this is our average, i know its not the statistical average, but it is whats happening). I lose my monoliths either by turn 2 if i deploy them (losing them before my first turn is a regular occurance against him even if i do get a cover save), or the turn they come down if i deepstrike because of the 10 lascannon devastators.
    The deciever gets pwned by his sternguard that drop pod next to him.

Is there anything i can do to improve my situation?

Quick edit: Im unsure wether to use orb and veil or the setup lsited above? which would you say is best for tournament conditions?
    Are space marines considered a hard matchup for us?

Last edited by Allabang; January 31st, 2010 at 01:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going against SM i play them and i play necrons i usally stay in a corner and let them come to me outflank some flayed ones or kill heavy stuff like dreadnoughts with my wraiths sitting in a corner generally works dont run at them because all SM armies have long ranged weapons that will slowly eat you men away. Also, i dont use my monolith against SM unless 2k pts then i use one i instead use immortals there a pain for SM to kill and they can stop tanks in thier tracks. Id run a second lord also instead of using deciver if your oppenets smart he would field scouts and infiltrate in and snipe him down. Necron lords are alot more scary than deciver with philacrity. Get philacrty on your other lord too. Monoliths get popped alot by marines. Run more warriors and only run 6 destroyers.

id use 4 squads of warriors 11 in each squad, 2 necrons lord with warsycths, philacrity,and orb, one monlith. squad of 10 immortals, 6 destroyers. Theres a 2k point list.

Have 2 warrior squads around each lord so they can get rez orb. and it keeps people from assualting your warriors( warsycth FTW) Keep monolith in the middle of your army. 1 necron lord to the left with two troop squads and 3 destroyers, one to the right with same stuff and use the immortals where they are needed.

This tactic is for anhiliation only.
    Space marines 6 dread army Wins: 4 ties:2 Loses:7 Modified Standard nilla marines Wins:37 Ties:8 Loses 42 Daemonhunters Wins:3 Ties:0 Loses:1 Full assualt concept army wins: 6 Ties: none Loses: 2

+ Reply to Thread