First Ever Tau List - 2000 Points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

First Ever Tau List - 2000 Points

Hey all, I'm still not sure what (new) army I'm going to end up playing but I'm shopping around for a new 40K home. I've done some light reading here on the forums for tips but I'm still a little hazy about what battlesuit formats are good or bad.

Commander Shas'El - Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Multitracker
    Shas'vre Bodyguard - Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Hard Wired Multitracker, Targetting Array

Crisis Suit Team (x2) - Both with Missile Pods, Plasma Rifles, Multitrackers
    Crisis Suit Team (x2) - Both with Twin Linked Missile Pods, Targetting Array

Fire Warriors (x12) - Shas'ui with Bonding Knife, Devilfish with Disruption Pods
    Fire Warriors (x12) - Shas'ui with Bonding Knife, Devilfish with Disruption Pods

Hammerhead Gundship - Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multitracker, Disruption Pods

"If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

I actually quite like the list. One thing I would recommend though is switching out some Fire Warriors for Kroot and hounds.

Two units of 12 FW's in Fish, with 2 units 10 kroot with 5-6 hounds gives you the good shooting capabilities, combined with some anti assault as well. Kroot hounds really are monsters in CC.

I would also try and find a way to get some Markerlights in the list too. BS 3 just doesn't cut it when you have such good guns.
    Try and find a spot for some pathfinders to up everyones BS.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Bodyguards are an expensive item. The points this one model costs you could pay for a Team Leader upgrade for the first Crisis team w/ Targetting Array, HW Multitracker (replacing the standard Multitracker), HW Drone Controller and 2 Shield Drones and still leave you with spare points. The Bodyguard's own Targetting Array should be given to the Shas'el (who then would take a HW Multitracker).

I too would be looking at a Pathfinder unit, which would top out at 111pts for full team with 'Ui and Bonding Knife. You need Markerlights to make proper use of those Crisis suits' weapons (although of course all units can benefit from them). To procure this unit I would drop a Fire Warrior squad. Pathfinders MUST take a Devilfish, so they will take the already-purchased DF from the dropped Fire Warrior squad.

Since Pathfinders will not spend their time in their obligatory Devilfish, it can be used by one of the remaining Fire Warrior units, thus allowing you to save points there too by removing one of the Fire Warriors' DFs. The points gained here plus the remaining points from the Bodyguard and the dropped Fire Warriors would be exchanged for Kroot/Kroot Hounds as per aussiedave's suggestion, giving you I believe 15 Kroot and 5 Hounds (or some variation on those numbers).

The triple whammy of the Hammerheads is nice, but for the cost of one of them you could have 2 Broadsides with Advanced Stabilisation System. Although it's preferable to have a 2-man unit with a couple of Shield Drones, Team Leader and a HW Target Lock and Bonding Knife, it is also feasible to take just the 2 BASS and stick them into hard cover where they will get a 4+ Cover Save. Added to their normal armour save, they will still be surprisingly hard to shift/kill. Finding the points to get a T'Ldr with HW Target Lock would also be nice.

Aussiedave said, the list "as is" is certainly playable, but it will struggle without those Markerlights.

As for your original question, which I just realised I hadn't addressed: There are some excellent articles here about Crisis suit configurations, but basically it boils down to "What do you want your XV8 team to do?" The configurations do have a "best used against" type of existence: Firestorms (MP/BC/MT) do well against things with low toughness and lots of models since the configuration can put out 5 shots from one XV8. Helios pattern (PR/FB/MT) won't decimate horde units but will cause Terminators and Big Boys lots of headaches. Fireknife (PR/MP/MT) is seen by many as the best all-rounder with a reasonable rate of fire depending on range to target, good AP and high strength weapons.

The important thing to do though is to assign a job to each unit in your Tau army and maximise the unit's efficiency in carrying out its assignment. Don't mix configurations in an XV8 squad for example, as you will almost inevitably weaken the efficacy of the squad.

E.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; February 5th, 2010 at 01:03.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread