2 months in, got my first list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 months in, got my first list

I've finally developed a good list for my army. I did rather well against an eldar, and I'm only a little strategy away from winning consistently. Here is my setup:

HQ: 110
    Shas'el
    ABFP
    TA
    drone controller
    -2 gun drones
    Bonding Knife
    HWTL
    will join a drone squad or xv8

Elites 239

XV8 Squad 239

fusion
    PR
    TA

fusion
    PR
    TA

Shas'vre team leader
    burst cannon
    Twin MP
    stim injector
    HWDC
    - 2 gun drones
    HWTL
    HWMT

Troops 443

FW squad 120

FW squad 115
    10 FW
    +leader
    +BK

FW squad 115
    10 FW
    +leader
    +BK

Kroot squad 93
    15 Kroot

Fast Attack: 126

Pathfinder squad 48
    4 Pathfinders

Pathfinder squad 78
    +3 rail rifle +TL upgrade

Transport: 170
    2 Devilfish 160
    +DP

Heavy Support 335

XV88 Squad (85)
    1 XV88 70
    DC
    -shield drone

XV88 Squad (85)
    1 XV88 70
    DC
    -shield drone

Hammerhead (165)
    Hammerhead 90
    Rail gun
    SMS
    DP

There's another 72pts to play with here as well. I like to throw in a small group of stingwings, or put an ethereal with a firewarrior group. Of course, when taking an ethereal, you need to make sure that the big threats need to be dealt with before moving him out of heavy cover.

Basically, on the first turn (scout move), the devilfish will deploy their drones and move towards and sidelong two firewarrior groups whom have been placed ahead of the army.They will block fire on the first turn and depoly the pathfinders. A good strategy is to start the FW in some forest, move up to them, deploy the paths in the forest on one side and pick up the FW on the next turn. Since pathfinders can fire their ML through terrain, that is the most efficient use. The rifle paths should be left closer to a nearby cap point.

The drones that were dropped off will form a unit on the first turn and will join up with the Shas'el on the second. Kroot will outflank, XV8s will Deepstrike, one FW in reserve, and if you don't have first turn, so will the xv88s.

Another good idea is to use the drones from the devilfish to block the xv88s during opponent turn, and then JSJ so that the XV88s behind can fire. In this case, the shas'el will meet up with the xv8s.And the xv88s can drop the shield drones and DC and take, maybe a stabilizer to really make them hard to hit.

What is important to note is that there are 72 points free, you can switch to normal pathfinders (not rails), drop 2 FW off of the large squad, and drop 5 kroot, AND, if you have a good terrain and deployment setup, drop the HWDC on the XV88s. In total, that will give you a free 167 points to use. If you really want to tinker, drop a FW squad completely, freeing another 110 for a total of 277.

With this, you can add a group of vespids, an ion head with drones, and another xv88 to mash into a group.

Basically, every unit in this army is dealing AP1-3 damage except for the troops. You're going to use the pathfinders to ML incoming troops to easily deal with them while you leave nothing for any armor saves. You can then use several troops to outmanuever and deepstrike soft sniper targets.

Also, if you leave out the ionhead, you can add almost 4 MLdrones, or double the size of both pathfinder teams leaving the rail guys in. This will give you lots of room to pin or push many units using MLs to negate leadership.

Last note, this is NOT a great list for anti-Tide. To switch to anti-tide, change the XV8 weapons to something with more shots, keep the firewarriors, take 2 railheads, lose an xv88, and add flechettes to all vehicles as well as another FW or Kroot team.

What do you think?

Last edited by theprof00; February 22nd, 2010 at 19:24.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

One thing you really need to do post haste is remove all those individual points for wargear, weapons and so forth. Total unit costs are ok, but GW (and LO admins and mods) go crazy when they see GWIP posted like that.

Otherwise you do seem very confident in your list, so if it is working for you.... .

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the heads up on the point listing.
    all fixed now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

1. your shas'el NEEDS another weapon, just hard wire the drone controller
    2. take the stim injector and put it on the shas'el
    3. id add 1 to each pathfinder squad
    4. as for the 72 points take another broadside on one of the squads.
    thats it, nice beginning list.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HW the DC? Hmm ok I guess. I just had him to harass with the group of drones from the vehicles.
    What weapon should I give him?
    I agree that the paths should take one more, to prevent fallback mainly, secondly for more MLs
    Sure, i can agree with the stim, but listen, have you ever though about the detonator? Is it practical? I can see a lot of uses for it.

Broadside sounds good too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by theprof00 View Post
    HW the DC? Hmm ok I guess. I just had him to harass with the group of drones from the vehicles.
    What weapon should I give him?
    I agree that the paths should take one more, to prevent fallback mainly, secondly for more MLs
    Sure, i can agree with the stim, but listen, have you ever though about the detonator? Is it practical? I can see a lot of uses for it.

Broadside sounds good too.
    Maybe a missile pod or a plasma rifle. The problem with the detanator is its only used when the character falls back and we unfortunetaly don't have combat tactics so not really.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

+ Reply to Thread