2500 competitive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

2500 competitive

Hey guys. I tried this list in a practice game with a friend of mine. I lost, but if the game ended on turn 5 it would have been a win (plus I can't remember the last time I've beaten this guy and I helped design his list). Anyway it was a hard fought close game, but here's the list:

HQ
    Farseer with Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, Spirit Stones, Doom, and Fortune (with Banshees)
    155pts

Farseer with Guide and Singing Spear (with Guardians)
    78 pts

Elites
    10 Howling Banshees, Exarch with Executioner and Acrobat
    187 pts
    Wave Serpent with TL-Shuriken Cannons and Spirit Stones
    110 pts

6 Fire Dragons
    96 pts
    110 pts

5 Wraithguard, Spiritseer with Conceal and Singing Spear
    223 pts
    110 pts

Troops
    10 Dire Avengers, Exarch with Dual Shuriken Catapults and Bladestorm
    152 pts
    110 pts

10 Dire Avengers, Exarch with Dual Shuriken Catapults and Bladestorm
    152 pts
    110 pts

10 Storm Guardians with 2 Fusion Guns, Warlock with Embolden and Singing Spear
    125 pts
    110 pts

10 Storm Guardians with 2 Fusion Guns, Warlock with Embolden and Singing Spear
    125 pts
    110 pts

Heavy Support
    3 War Walkers with Shuriken Cannons
    120 pts

Wraithlord with Brightlance and Eldar Missile Launcher
    155 pts

Wraithlord with Brightlance and Eldar Missile Launcher
    155 pts

Total: 2493

My opponent in the practice game was running Space Marines. He had Vulkan, Pedro, and 7 Thunder hammer/stormshield terminators in a landraider crusader, 3 predators, a sniper scout squad, 2 sternguard squads in pods with a bunch of combimeltas, a podded tac squad with melta/multimelta, and 2 landspeeders with multimelta and heavy flamer. I took early losses on the first turn with his sternguard stranding a guardian squad and my wraithguard and eliminating my fire dragons. The wraithlords did fine, though one was killed early on because I botched his movement and he was brought down by a pred and a sniper combat squad. the other killed his LR with a lucky brightlance shot. The Terminators plus Vulkan and Pedro is simply evil. They get +1 attack and their weapons are mastercrafted. I also Bladestormed both DA squads and succeeded in killing.......one. Not good.

I'd consider replacing the Wraithlords with fire prisms, but the problem is that I don't actually have 7 wave serpents, so I might need to do some hasty conversions (won't be a problem I have the weapons on my prisms magnetized so I can use them as falcons too. Or wave serpents in this case). My only beef with prisms is that one glancing hit makes them useless. The wraithlords are slow, but the opponent needs to fire at least 3 lascannons to get rid of the threat it poses.

The wraithguard didn't do much, but that's because my opponent knew how deadly they can be and gunned for their serpent first. I don't use them much because they're so expensive, but with 2500 points I have room to indulge. I think that's why my lists at higher point levels are less efficient, cause I indulge. But anyway, let me know what you think.

Comments/criticisms of all kinds welcome.

The enemy's gate is down

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

The wraithguard unit stood out to me while reading through the list, do you have a reason for taking them over firedragons? Against most targets the dragons are just as deadly but alot cheaper. The added toughness of the guard is nice but not sure if it is worth such a high cost perhaps change these to another firedragon unit and use the points for some tank killing guns on the serpents. I was unsure what the guide seer was for until I saw the fusion storms. This is actually kind of interesting as that would make the unit fairly reliable AT. Does this work well for you? One possible change would be to switch the storms to tri flamer units. Drop the guide seer and pick up some actual tank killing guns on the serpents as they are already twinlinked. I personally would change the lords out for prisms in this list. They can keep up with the high speed of the rest of the army but I understand liking the reliable nature of the lords. One last thing, if you need to trim some points dropping a couple of banshees normally doesn't hurt their performance to much.

As for the game itself I am wondering why you started on the field at all unless you thought you could get alot of shooting at the units he had on the table. I would have aimed to go second held everything in reserve and let him drop the pods onto an empty table. You would be at the mercy of the reserve rolls but atleast you can come onto the table in response to where he is and get the first punch in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

Well the main reason for the wraithguard is that I have the models, while I only have the 6 fire dragons. One consideration would be to replace them with Outflanking scorpions, which would certainly be more fluffy, but this isn't a rogue trader so I'm not as concerned about that. Though I do like scorpions. A second dragon squad is definitely a good idea, I just don't know if I have the funds for it right now.

The Guideseer with stormies have met with mixed levels of success. I've used them in only a couple (maybe 4 or 5) games so far, but I like that it gets me a both a cheap unit that can hold objectives and a little more anti-tank for not much cost. I've had games where they do a whole lot of dying, games where they largely get ignored and just happily claim objectives, and one game where they killed a dread and it's drop-pod, though that was mainly the singing spears, the fusion guns managed to both miss both times despite guide. So they're kind of a mixed bag. I'll probably change the one without the farseer to tri-flamer and see how that works out. I guess then the warlock with a witchblade could offer some AT in a pinch.

I've tried AT guns on my wave serpents before. I've found it to be a points sink. I just never seem to get as much damage out of them as I should. Generally I have to avoid one-shot weapons as much as possible. The only way I ever cause any harm is when there are plenty of dice in my hand. Though if I did take out the Wraithguard for another dragon squad it would definitely leave me with some points to burn. Worth considering.

As for the game, I did elect to go second, and it probably was a mistake to even deploy, but I just didn't feel comfortable putting myself at the mercy of reserve rolls without an autarch or yriel. I also forgot that drop pods can't scatter off the table, so I thought I was being clever with my deployment, but it turns out I wasn't. Turns out I would have been better off with a random number of squads coming on, but hey, hindsight is 20-20.

Thanks for the advice!
    The enemy's gate is down

+ Reply to Thread