The Green Tide for Beginners - Suggestions? (1.5k) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Green Tide for Beginners - Suggestions? (1.5k)

Hello all,

I've decided to start building an Ork green tide footslogging army and was hoping to get some feedback on what I've put together so far. There's a lot of painting to be done on the boyz (but I had a light infantry IG army before, so I think I'm psychologically prepared for the horror) -- I'm hoping to get some advice / commentary / suggestions on how this will play on the tabletop once all of that painting is actually done.

--HQ--
    Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field (KFF, Eavy Armor, Bosspole)
    Big Mek w/ Shokk Attack Gun (SAG, Eavy Armor, Bosspole)*

--Troops--
    Slugga Boyz (29 boys w/ 2 big shootas + 1 nob w/ Power Klaw, Eavy Armor, Bosspole)
    Slugga Boyz (29 boys w/ 2 big shootas + 1 nob w/ Power Klaw, Eavy Armor, Bosspole)
    Shoota Boyz (29 boyz w/ 2 rokkits + 1 nob w/ Power Klaw, Eavy Armor, Bosspole) <<KFF Big Mek>>
    Gretchin (15 grethcin + 1 runtherd) <<SAG Big Mek>> (shield for the SAG and claiming home quarter)

--Fast Attack--
    Deffkopta Solo (Twin-Linked Rokkits, Buzzsaw)
    Deffkopta Solo (Twin-Linked Rokkits, Buzzsaw)
    Deffkopta Solo (Twin-Linked Rokkits, Bigbomb**)

--Elites--
    Lootas (10 lootas)
    Tankbustas*** (9 tankbustas +1 nob w/ Eavy Armor, Bosspole + 2 attack squigs)

* I've been toying around with a Weirdboy Warp'ead, on the idea that it will help get the boyz (maybe) across the table faster. Crazy? Genius? Tried before and horribly failed?
    ** Yeah, I know it's not great, but it certainly is Orky. I could drop this it will help reallocate points to optimize the army but it's in there for entertainment purposes at the moment.
    *** Sadly, Tankbustas' Glory Hogs rule seems... limiting. More sadly, I will have trouble resisting them in the army, since the models are great.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    113 (x3)

i would rather have war buggys than sigle coptas you realy would b better off with a second unit of lootas rather than the tank busstas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

Buzzsaw is not good, low S, high cost.
    Slugga boyz are not good on foot too, in friendly games You can ask Your opponent to count them as shoota boyz
    Nob doesn`t need `eavy armour in the mob, waste of points.
    If You like the models, just use them (tankbustaz), same with the bigbomb! You still can switch to be a powergamer later
    Buggies are better but I guess You have koptaz, they are not that bad!
    Warp`eads fun to play, easy to convert, or proxy before buy the actual model, and You will see.
    Try the SAG and if it does not work well, take an other KFF.
    From the extra points You can build a fourth unit of boyz in time.
    I would use the grots to shield the lootaz.

And later, when You boost up to 1750, You can take Killa kans, they are very good in footslogging armies.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Kaptin Elwazz; March 2nd, 2010 at 20:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback Fremen, tinytim.

>> Buzzsaw is not good, low S, high cost <<
    >> Buggies are better but I guess You have koptaz <<
    Hmm... with scout and turbo boost, I was hoping to use this to charge transports early in the game to limit the mobility of the scoring troops inside. If I trade in both buzzsaws, that nets a decent amount of points, but I'm not sure that I can buy more anti-transport capability with the 50 points than the buzzsaws give. Does anyone playing footsloggas buy big gunz kannons for that? What would you suggest instead?

> Nob doesn`t need `eavy armour in the mob, waste of points. <<
    Good feedback. Not sure what I was thinking there.

>> Slugga boyz are not good on foot too <<
    I can see how shootas are generally better, but with the run rules I was hoping they'd get across the battlefield quickly enough, given the opponent a tough decision of attacking the rapidly approaching KFF shielded boyz vs. taking on the units shooting at them from turn one.

Thanks for the commentary... some good stuff to think about here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Don't listen to the shoota fanboyz...I run two 30-figure units of sluggas and wouldn't trade them for anything. They are amazingly powerful and like you've figured out, you can't shoot if you're running! Don't waste points on big shootas in those units if you don't have to. Shootas are also good...but I totally disagree that they are BETTER than sluggas on foot.

There have been times when the Nob is the last figure left and he's still fighting. But I still have never given him 'eavy armor (because I haven't modeled him that way). But don't spend the points there if you don't have to.

Koptas are very good. You pay for what you get with them. since you have the models, use them and see how they work for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

I know a couple of shoota fanboyz will freak over what I said (as if you can actually VOTE on the effectiveness of a unit). Here is a demonstration of what I'm talking about and why big units of sluggas work well.

My army was designed to march across the board and take the fight to the IG.

See the battle report here. Ork Action Photos

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    113 (x3)

i like sluggas and shootas but i never really use eather on foot cause well moveing 120 modles a turn makes my brain hurt hence why i play meck but i will say this shoota or slugga on foot it is all mainly baised on how you play and use your army that is how you deside witch is be for you hence why most of my post start with i would rather unless of corce your one of those people that gives your boyz nob a big choppa rather than Pk then i feel i mut show you the error of your ways.

Ps. Nicely done army i really like your stompas and squigoth

+ Reply to Thread