Dark Eldar list-----should i start Dark Eldar? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Eldar list-----should i start Dark Eldar?

Hey,
    This is (one of) my first attempts at a Dark Eldar list....
    I am about 85% likely to start Dark Eldar this month (i plan to get 500ish points a month, for 4/5 months, building and painting before i buy the next lot, so i have a complete army......) (Plus i actually like the Dark Eldar models, not sure why i didn't start them before.....)

anyway, here is my 2000 point list, i have some questions as well, but this list probably needs a lot of tweaking, as i am not 100% sure what upgrades i should be taking....

HQ:
    Archon (Shadow field, Trophy rack, combat drugs, Agoniser)
    -Retinue:
    5x incubi (2x blaster, Plasma grenades)
    Incubi master (hell mask)
    3x Warriors (2x splinter cannon)
    in Raider (Night shields, Scythes)
    464 points

Elite:
    Wyches x8 (Wych weapons, plasma grenades)
    -Succubus (Combat Drugs, Agoniser)
    In Raider (Night Sheilds)
    259 points

259 points
    (These may have had 2 blasters each as well....)

Troops:
    Raider squad
    6x warriors (1 splinter cannon, 1 blaster)
    Raider
    118 points

Raider squad
    Raider
    118 points

Raider squad
    Raider
    118 points

Raider squad
    Raider
    118 points

warriors x10 (Dark Lance x2) 100
    Warriors x10 (Dark Lance x2) 100

Heavy:
    Ravager 105
    Ravanger (3x disintergrator) 120
    1999 points
    (if any points are off, its Army builders fault i know sometimes points costs are wrong, and as i don't know the codex very well, i don't remeber points for much...)

Tactics i hope are fairly obvious (3 combat squads, close up fire support/extra bodies in combat from raider squads, long range support from 2 warrior squads, and 3 ravagers......)

questions:
    Archon's combat drugs..... if i chose 12" charge, does the squad get it?
    is this set up good enough/too much? (7 raiders, and 3 ravagers is quite a lot of mech, and 4 of the raiders have fairly week squads in them....)
    what upgrades do i have right/wrong? (in terms of usefulness....)

(also how does WWP work.... i know how it works in theory, but if most of the army is in reserve, meaning you leave 1/2 units on the bored, against a lot of armies, arn't those units going to be dead by turn 2? if you don't get first turn.....there is a lot of long range fire power around, against Tau/Guard even marines, it must be hard to get the WWP carrier to where he wants to go safley....)

Thanks

Last edited by rodgers37; March 2nd, 2010 at 17:53.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Your HQ is too much. Turn 1 their raider will be shot down unless you've got somewhere REALLY well to hide it.

If you must use Incubi, (and i'm personally not a fan) use a smaller squad. 4+1 master is more than enough, don't give them blasters, they're expensive enough. Drop the sythes from the raider, like I said it won't last.

The hell mask has no effedct on a unit, so unless your incubi master ends up being the last guy, (and that should be your archon who does that) he won't ever use it.

So that should save you 85 points, use it to buy another raider, and drop the combat druds from your wytch succubuses, they have 1 wound and they're not good enough to justify the expensive drugs, this should leave you with 80 points. 110 if you drop the night shields from your wytches raiders.

Use these 110 points to get yourself another wytch squad to go in the raider. 7 girls wytch weapons plasma grenades, succubus with agonisor. Get 2 of the wytches from your other squads, giving you 3 squads of 7. That should leave you with 12 points. Give one of your succubuses a goblet of spite and one of your raiders a horrorfex.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,
    but in response to you saying the raider will be shot down turn one, well if i'm not going first, shouldn't i keep it in reserve (that goes for all of them...) anyway?
    because otherwise, they could all get shot down....if playing someone like Tau or Guard........

But yeah, your suggestion sounds really good, about the wytch squads....
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by rodgers37 View Post
    … but this list probably needs a lot of tweaking, as i am not 100% sure what upgrades i should be taking....
    The is actually pretty decent for a start, good job.

Archon (Shadow field, Trophy rack, combat drugs, Agoniser)
    -Retinue:
    5x incubi (2x blaster, Plasma grenades)
    Incubi master (hell mask)
    3x Warriors (2x splinter cannon)
    in Raider (Night shields, Scythes)
    Archon with Incubi is a powerhouse bordering on overkill. Normally, an Archon and 5 Incubi is all you need to wipe out a squad of marines - adding the rest is just unnecessary. The Incubi Master is rarely used and is considered too expensive for his role. The splinter cannons is another odd addition, you got a wonderful CC squad and you are adding firepower to it. If the splinter cannons do well in the shooting phase then you run the risk of, 1) killing off the targets in your charge range, or 2) running the risk of the target failing their morale check and falling back out of charge range. You do not need to “soften” a target before the charge so these guys are really not needed.

My personal opinion on incubi is that they are perfect for a Dracon that is a 2nd HQ choice. The Archon would normally have the shadowfield so the incubi would make the perfect body guard for a lord that does not have a shadowfield.

I do recommend plasma grenades for everyone – do not waste our excellent initiative when charging into, out of or through cover!

Not liking the scythes – If you want to try them out on nids or something then have fun but overall not an upgrade that is very popular. I would drop it and add horrorfexs to the list.

259 points
    Your points are off by a lot – the most I can get this squad up to with what you listed is 224 points and 234 with 2 blasters (that is with 9 wyches total = 8 wyches + 1 succubus).

Raider squad 6x warriors (1 splinter cannon, 1 blaster) Raider
    Fine, I like that you have at least 4 of them running around.

warriors x10 (Dark Lance x2) 100
    Warriors x10 (Dark Lance x2) 100
    Fine – at least you have a total of 6 scoring units.

Ravager 105
    Nice

(if any points are off, its Army builders fault
    I used to be the Maintainer for the DE datafile for Army Builder – what version do you have? It must be the old version 3 as I corrected all the points in version 4. I think it was the blaster cost in Army Builder that had bad programming “if then” statements in it.

Archon's combat drugs..... if i chose 12" charge, does the squad get it?
    No, only the Archon gets the drug so if you are in a squad then you are limited to their speed. This is why I like running my Archons solo, they can ride with any squad he/she wants and I can separate them at will when I want to (Incubi will a “ball & chain” slowing the Archon down).

is this set up good enough/too much? (7 raiders, and 3 ravagers is quite a lot of mech, and 4 of the raiders have fairly week squads in them....)
    I run 7 raiders as well except zero foot squads – I am completely “mech”. I think I like the raider squads the way they are – use them for fire support and keep them out of close combat. Throw the HQ and elites at the enemy, let them draw fire and use the raiders for fire support and for scoring at the end of the game. I do not consider them weak, many people run raider squads at 5 strong – I run mine at 8 strong.

what upgrades do i have right/wrong? (in terms of usefulness....)

(also how does WWP work.... i know how it works in theory, but if most of the army is in reserve, meaning you leave 1/2 units on the bored, against a lot of armies, arn't those units going to be dead by turn 2?
    Theory would be a rather long explanation but to answer it shortly, yah, your starting units is going to face 2,000 points of the enemy especially when he/she finds out that the units that are used in the web can be destroyed by killing off the portal carriers. Too risky for little gain, just use reserves – its free, reliable and just as effective.

there is a lot of long range fire power around, against Tau/Guard even marines, it must be hard to get the WWP carrier to where he wants to go safley....)
    To ensure you get the portal down you would need 1st turn and drop the wwp where you are standing – having your portal in your deployment zone is not worth the cost of the gear. 5th edition rules made the WWP strategy extremely risky because of:

1. True line of sight, its hard to hide any squad on the table.
    2. The new IC rules makes you attach the IC to a squad for safety.
    3. The enemy (and the game itself) is inherently faster all around. The “run” move can allow the enemy to reach the 24” mid board on turn 1 not to mention some of the setup rules, outflanking, drop podding, infiltrating, scouting, teleporting, summoning, deepstriking and now creatures that come out of the ground underneath you.

Forget the WWP for now – get a few games in then decide if you think you can do a WWP. Personally, I think “Raider Rush” is the way to go for DE in 5th edition.

Hope this gives you some ideas, good luck and happy hunting!
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot, you have made up my mind
    I will go buy some Dark Eldar this week
    (will ask the other DE player if i can borrow his amry for a game or two as well, to get used to them, before i have all the stuff i want....)
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Should I start Dark Eldar?"

Definitely yes!

The only other change I would make to your list is to either drop your Raider Squads down to 5 warriors or increase them to 9. 6,7 or 8 in a squad will still be taking a morale check after 2 casualties so spending the points on them isn't really worth it. Otherwise everyone has given really good advice.
    Come and join my Kabal here at my Dark Eldar Blog!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I would drop the dissies on one ravager: your incubi kill MEQ's any day and your whyches can tie them up as well, if needed.
    That way you will have some more AT because your gunboat's DL won't be firing alot at tanks, with the Splinter Cannon not being effective vs them.

On the whole you have made a fine list, just rethink your HQ with Kwi's suggestions and you will have a very nice list.

Welcome to the Dark side btw ;-)

+ Reply to Thread