<2000 1500pt first tau list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

1500pt first tau list

this is my first list as tau just using what i got, i tried it out againt my mates eldar and just about beat him, does this look like an ok list?

Commander(better type): Missile Pod, Fusion Blaster, Shield Generator, HW Multi Tracker, HW Drone Controller, 2 Shield Drones, Iridium Armor, Stimulant Injector=184
    Retinue: 2 Bodyguards: Missile Pod, Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array, HW Multi Tracker, Hw Drone Controller, 2 Marker Drones=268
    Ethereal=50

Battle Suit: Shas upgrade, Air Fragmentation Projector, Cyclic Ion Blaster, Targetting Array, HW Multi Tracker=85
    3 Battle Suits: Flamer, Burst Cannon, Multi Tracker=126
    Battle Suit: Twin Linked Fusin Blaster, Targeting Array=53

12 Honour Guard Fire Warriors, Champion Upgrade with Makerlight and Bonding Knife=169
    11 Fire Warriors with Champion Upgrade with Markerlight and Bonding Knife=135
    11 Fire Warriors with Champion Upgrade with Markerlight and Bonding Knife=135
    5 Pathfinders=60
    Devilfish=80(this hides and dies i wouldnt take it if i didnt have to)
    Broadside with Targetting Array=80
    Broadside with Targetting Array=80

this drops in at 1504 points.. what do you think? ( i dont wanna go mech at all if possible)

Last edited by Collins254; March 13th, 2010 at 11:56.
    Fantasy : Empire, Chaos Warriors, Chaos Daemons, Vampire Counts, Beastmen, High Elves, Lizardmen( but i have opinions on every army just not the money)
    40k: Black Templars, Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar, Tau (thinking of Eldar)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main weakness to a static gunline is its inability to capture and sometimes even contest objectives. So if you want to suck at 2/3 of all 40k games, then this is the army for you.

But no, really.

You say you don't want to go mech. Might I suggest a hybrid?

This would consist of bringing devilfish for all of your fire warriors (to capture objectives late in the game, or run away and form up your ranks along a different table edge if your line is breached), plus a few piranhas to send out to delay your enemy (a favorite tactic of number6, and quite an effective one at that).

The way this works is you try and put as much terrain on the edges as you can when setting up, then rush your piranhas up on turn one to fill in any gaps. If you opponent ignores them, good. They'll either be running through cover or going through the center instead (where all your guns will be pointing). If your opponent doesnt ignore them, also good. It will either put a immobile ship in their path, of a bunch of difficult terrain that doesn't block your line of sight. Its a win win situation.

Also, with a gunline, you want to bring as many guns to bear on the enemy as possible. Unfortunately, this means you must limit the options you put on you crisis suits. To begin with, all your elite suits right now (minus the TLF are designed to take out infantry, something your fire warriors will have no problem doing on their own (S5 AP5 en masse is pretty BA). Also, I'm assuming you've been using the TLFB unit as a suicide suit? If so, this is BAD. Never sacrifice points away like that. You should be sitting back as far as possible launching many hits, not deepstriking in and hoping for one lucky hit. Also, you've added way too many unnecessary options to your HQ units. So marker drones go bye bye, as do the shield generator, iridium armour, stimulant injector, and probably the shield drones as well. Also, you do not need the "better type" commander (known as a shas'o to the rest of us). Stick with the shas'el (the "worser type"): it'll save you points and let you take more guns, which is a must for any static/hybrid army.

Also, broadsides need ASS, even in a stay where you are army, just so they can move to get in line of sight.

Last point is that ethereals suck, even with a gun line. I'd keep the model though in case this changes if they make a new codex.

So here is a sample list using the above points.

HQ

Shas'el w/ Missile Pod, Fusion Blaster, and Multitracker- 87 pts
    oh so much cheaper

Elites

2 Suits with Missile Pod, Fusion Blaster, and Multitracker- 124 points
    Commander goes with these guys

3 suits with Twin Linked Missile Launchers and targeting array- 159
    Does the same thing as your suicide suit, only gets 5 more shots and can do so from a distance

Troops

12 Firewarriors Shas'ui w/ Bonding Knife
    Devilfish w/ Disruption Pod- 215 pts

12 Firewarriors Shas'ui w/ Bonding Knife
    Devilfish w/ Disruption Pod- 215 pts

12 Firewarriors Shas'ui w/ Bonding Knife-130 points
    (this unit steals its devilfish from the pathfinders)

Fast Attack

Piranha w/ Fusion Blaster and Disruption Pod- 70 pts
    Also, do the same thing as your suicide suit, but leaves a nice little pile of rubble when it dies and is guaranteed to be up in their face by turn one.

Piranha w/ Fusion Blaster and Disruption Pod- 70pts
    Same as above.

6 Pathfinders w/ shas'ui with bonding knife
    devilfish w/disruption pod-155 pts

Heavy Support

3x Braodside w/ ASS and shas'ui with shield drones- 275 pts
    Increases survivability and gets you oh so many railgun shots.

Total: 1500

This list gets more shots than your original list, and also has more objective claiming power. Also, you're not over the point limit (some people get really upset about that). You don't have to follow it exactly, but i suggest trying to stick to the general guidelines I presented above.

Hope this helps.

PR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

hey thank for the advice it really cool... il def change the command squad around abit, il possibly keep the better commander type(im really rubbish with all these shas names i only had the stuff tuesday)
    only problem with the list you showed was, how do i deal with infantry in cover? i play alot of eldar, i think theres 4 in my local store, and 10 pathfinders is not uncommon, and if there is a farseer involed that usually means 2+ re-rollable cover saves, short of assaulting them as tau... il possibly move some points around.. keep the commander with a retinue(coz then he can be singled out if someone does cath you say with jump infantry, or jet bikes...) and keep either my unit with flamers(no they arent sacrifical, the aim is to combine fire with fire warriors to eliminate ork boys/ gaunts) or the guy with CIB/AFP just to deal with this type of foe, which tbh its quite common to see

the etheranl il agree is a waste of points, i initally put him in coz i think honour guard are cool!! but i got enough marker lights with the path finders to not need the points sink...

how is this maybe

Comander(shas'o? the good one) Missile Launcher, Fusion Blaster, Multi Tracker=99
    Retinue: 2 Battle suits: Missile Launcher, Fusion Blaster, Targetting Array, HW Multi Tracker=148

3 Battle Suits:TL Flamer, Burst Cannons, HW Multi Trackers=132
    3 Battle Suits: Missle Launcher, Plasma Gun, Targetting Array, HW Multi Tracker=216
    3 Battle Suits: TL Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array=195

12 Fire Warriors=120
    12 Fire Warriors=120
    12 Fire Warriors=120

5 Path Finders=60
    Devilfish w DP=85

2 Broadsides w ASS=160

thats 1455 i got 45 left? suggestions
    Fantasy : Empire, Chaos Warriors, Chaos Daemons, Vampire Counts, Beastmen, High Elves, Lizardmen( but i have opinions on every army just not the money)
    40k: Black Templars, Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar, Tau (thinking of Eldar)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trust me, cover saves wont be a problem. If you make the opponents roll enough dice, you wont have to worry about them at all. And this means bringing more guns. So I would get rid of the TL flamer and give them a TL MP and TA array instead. If you feel like doing a TL MP and a flamer just in case, by all means go for it.

Twin linked plasma suits are not really that effective and barely ever earn their points back. Switch to shas'el and just give him a targeting array. 15 points cheaper. Also, since you have pathfinders, you don't really even NEED targeting arrays; ballistic skill 3 works just fine I promise. Which means switch the fire knife body guard over to Elites and take out the TL plasma rifle suits. Also missile and fusion is not a good combo (too big of a range difference). Go either fusion and plasma or plasma and missile.

Also, elite suits cannot take hardwired options.

And you barely followed any of the advice I gave you except the points about the ethereal and the broadsides.

After making these changes, you'll prob be able to add in another unit of fire warriors (you neeeeeeed guns in a static army. As many as you can possibly get) and two piranhas to guard either flank. Static t'au armies are VERY hard to play well with, and if you plan on doig so you need your list to be as optimized as possible. Also, another railgun is never a bad thing. Ever.

+ Reply to Thread