<2000 Experimental Close Combat - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experimental Close Combat

When you think of necrons you normally dont think close combat expexts. so ive come up with an iea for a 2000 point close combat specific army. sure to shock and surprise any opponent. please give me as much feedback as possible because i may put this list into action.

Necron Lord
    Res Orb
    Gaze of flame
    Ligtning feild

10 warriors
    10 warriors
    10 warriors
    10 warriors

3 tomb spyders
    3 tomb spyders
    3 tomb spyders

3 wraiths
    3 wraiths
    3 wraiths

Monolith

1999 point

I intend to keep the lord and warriors towards the back using them to capture objectives and provide cover fire. The lord can keep them alive with the res orb and the gaze of flame and lightning feild to help in cc if need be. The 3 squads of 3 tomb spyders will all move independently and will spawn only 1 scarab at a time to maximise wounds and kep average toughness high. This wil be used as anti-vehichle units and generaly cc. The 3 wraith squads will move around in a group preying on a squad of enemy trrops at a time using there high strength, initiative and manuverability to strike and eliminate entire squads at a time. The monolith will act as a target to draw fire as well as helping teleport wariors to where the are neded. The monoliths powerful guns also help with taking out enemies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive also considered takign a Warrior squad out and replacing it with 10 flayed ones and haveing the necron lord join them. just for more cc support.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone else will probably give a better assessment of the lists capabilities.
    However I should mention that as it is now, it isn't legal
    you can only have 3 heavy support slots, and at the moment you have 4, you need to either drop 3 Tomb Spyders or the Monolith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hha oh yeah. . . . i was watchin tv while i was writing that hmmmmmmmmmmmm this may need some rethink

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here i have fixed up the list and am lookign forward to hearing your fedback

Necron Lord
    Res Orb
    Nightmare Shroud

Necron Lord
    Destroyer body
    Warscythe

10 warriors
    10 warriors
    10 warriors
    10 warriors

3 tomb spyders
    3 tomb spyders

3 wraiths
    3 wraiths
    3 wraiths

Monolith

1994 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take out one tomb spyder and lose the nightmare shroud on the second lord to use the points to kit the D-lord with ResOrb, Warscythe, Phase Shifter and run him with the wraiths. This particular configuration has earned the name 'Wraithlord' because you have essentially kitted out your lord to be wraith. This will make the wraiths and the D-lord much more survivable and not to mention, the D-lord will provide hard hitting ignore all saves power where it is needed in CC.

The second lord only needs to have ResOrb just to support the warrior phalanx. If you happen to have spare points, give him Gaze of Flame to prevent enemy CC units from gaining the advantage from charging you.

Mind you, I'm bit hesitant about running this list as a pure close combat list. Why not drop 2 tomb spyders and a warrior squad to get 2 units of 3 destroyers to provide some ranged firepower while your wraiths and D-lord does the grizzly work?
    Necrons W68-D13-L10 (3rd edition codex)
    Necrons W3-D1-L1 (latest codex)
    Skaven still being assembled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay ive gone over the list again and changed around the lords war gear. I believe this makes them much moe suited for there roles. Its now 2004 points but seriously 4 points over? if anyones gana have a winge about then well tahst just stupid

Necron Lord
    Res Orb

Necron Lord
    Destroyer body
    Warscythe
    Res Orb
    Phase Shifter

10 warriors
    10 warriors
    10 warriors
    10 warriors

3 tomb spyders
    3 tomb spyders

3 wraiths
    3 wraiths
    3 wraiths

Monolith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sold on your 4 points over reasoning, if everyone else can get their 2000pt lists to fit in 2000, I'm sure you can too.

I'd recommend dropping 3 Wraiths and filling that slot with 5 Destroyers. You need them.

I would personally also drop 3 Tomb Spyders and replace with an Immortal squad. Run then with a lord + veil.

Sacrifice warriors if need be to fit the above in. Necrons phase out so I don't see what everyone's obsession with warrior spam is. Warrior spamming has it's downside, you lift your phase out count and provide your opponent with an abundance of T4 models to put str 8+ pie plates on.

By running tougher things like Destroyers and Immortals you're still having 'Necrons' which will get back up but will be harder to take down in the first place.

Worst case scenario, if you want to continue the warrior spam, at least get 5 Destroyers.
    Fear the awesome wrath of The ANZAC Clan!!!

Aussie Bogan: Beer Drinking, Steak Eating, Thong Wearing Maniac!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fair enough if u think 4 points is gana make such a massive effect on a game then u can argue it with a person your about to play against. Me and my mates just play for fun so 4 points over is not going to start a massive arguement.

The 5 destroyers do seem a good idea since i already have them and they wudnt get used much if i stayed with the list how it is.

If anyone wants to rigth hwo they think the list should be Id liek to see it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just remember, this is supposed to be a CC oriented list and 'experimental' is the operative word here. Since you only intend to use this list in a casual setting, then your list is fine. It couldn't hurt to fit in the 5 destroyers just to get a little bit of oomph out of the list. But yeah, try to hang onto to the wraiths and tomb spyders, drop a warrior squad if need be. I was thinking about the 9 wraiths and that's a bit overkill when you're running them with the D-lord because you're likely to win by massacre and will be left exposed in the ensuing opponent's shooting phase.

Use the wraiths as scalpels, pick your targets and attack with enough force so you don't clean them up in one go but you can stay in CC during the opponent's shooting phase and finish up in their assault phase. Of course, this is easier said than done.

More importantly, find what works for you in this particular list. Experiment, adapt and change if need be. Not so much in tourney setups but most opponents are reasonable when it comes to being a few points over the limit. Personally, I allow for a margin of 1% over the set points limit to allow some flexibility in my and my opponents' lists.
    Necrons W68-D13-L10 (3rd edition codex)
    Necrons W3-D1-L1 (latest codex)
    Skaven still being assembled

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast