<3000 Long time necron player- Moving on to Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

Long time necron player- Moving on to Eldar

I've played necrons to death, EVERY single list you could come up with I've most likely played (unless it includes pariahs or heavy destroyers, hate those crappy things). And after a win ratio as good as mine with most of my losses to eldar or guard I decided one of those two would probably be a good road to go down. I looked at guard for about a month and finally decided that I didn't like the style of play they use. As a result I went for eldar, I really like the eldar model line up as a start and absolutley love their style of play. So anyway onto the main article...

I decided as a good place to start I would look at a 1500pt list. I don't have enough money to give my dire avengers wave serpents so don't suggest it. I've played with enough footslogging army lists to be fairly good at using them. Clever use of reserves and deployment can be devastatingly more powerful than transports anyway.

So here is my list:

HQ

The Avatar

Farseer (Doom, Fortune, RoWitnessing, Spirit Stones)

Troops

10 Dire Avengers (Exarch, Defend, Blade Storm, Shimmershield + Power Weapon)

Elites

10 Striking Scorpions (Exarch, Scorpions Claw, Shadow Strike)

10 Striking Scorpions (Exarch, Biting Blade, Shadow Strike)

Fast Attack

5 Warp Spiders (Exarch, Powerblades, Twin Spinners)

Heavy Support

3 Dark Reapers (Exarch, Tempest Launcher, Crack Shot)

Basically when revewing this list, treat it like I'm allergic to wave serpents and have played footslogging lists my entire life. If you bear those things in mind you can see where my list is coming from. Basically I'm trying to come up with the most competitive footslogging list I can, but i'm completely open to change as long as I stick to that basic principle. I also like the models of striking scorpions so would like to field at least one unit of them and the same goes for warp spiders. I've got real nice conversion planned for an exarch

P.S Please don't comment sancrear, I can talk to you in person and you like mech lists so much it's bordering on a fetish

Ye Old Necrons (R.I.P.) (7000pts) W52 D5 L9
    New Crons!!! (5000pts) W1 D1 L1
    Blood Angels (2500pts) W4 D0 L1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay, congratulations on choosing eldar!
    Now your list I think needs much more anti-tank. How are you going to go about it? Nice work on not including Fire Dragons in your list, as they are too short-ranged for footslogging for they get shot to pieces if your opponent has any idea on what they can do. I like to keep my avengers cheap, but since they're out of serpents, maybe the defend, etc. might be worth it for better survivability. Maybe you can add some Wraithlords in - the Avatar can team up with them and you have a serious MC threat. They also might complement your anti-tank if you equip them with bright lances and EMLs. If you need the points, maybe take out the reapers as they are generally too expensive and cut down on the upgrades for your Dire Avnegers. Warr Spiders might fair pretty well, adding that speed that usually lacks in footslogging lists. I like Scorpians too so I'm prejudiced here .

Anyway, again congrats on choosing eldar and hope my critique helps...
    Fear is of the unknown...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shas_on_u View Post
    So here is my list:

HQ

The Avatar remove

Troops

Elites

10 Striking Scorpions (Exarch, Scorpions Claw, Shadow Strike) remove

Fast Attack

5 Warp Spiders (Exarch, Powerblades, Twin Spinners) remove

Heavy Support

3 Dark Reapers (Exarch, Tempest Launcher, Crack Shot)
    remove
    As above, take some wraithlords to run with your avatar, or get some wraithguard with a conceal warlock. Warpspiders at that squad size won't do you any favours, The darkreapers are a waste of points.

Other valid alternatives are;
    a) large squad of warlocks
    b) squads of harlequins
    c) an autarch with WJG to go with spiders
    d) pathfinders/rangers

There is an article on YTTH.. or maybe it was BOLS.. about someone using an avatar and several guardian squads to win tournament games, however no sane person would recommend repeating this, as it is very unreliable.
    My compiled thoughts blog.
    If someone posts something helpful +rep them

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by MrBenis View Post
    The darkreapers are a waste of points.
    Your other suggestions would be good if I didn't disagree with that statement. Against ANY meq unit they will earn their points back, or should I say the exarch will earn the squads points EVERY turn. If you get 3 marines with the tempest launcher twice then you looking at 4 dead marines, combined with 2 the reapers kill and it's looking like 6 MEQs dead per turn? So thats like 90pts per turn V the cheapest MEQ. Obviously your not gonna get 2 template hits every turn, but averages say roughly 3 out of every 4. So porbably something like 75pts a turn average. 2 turns = points back. Against anything with a 3+ save they will earn their points back in a game.

The Avatar is good and in a footslogging list where he gives me fearless, fairly amazing. Taking him out for the autarch you mentioned wouldn't be too bad an idea though...

The 2 units of scorpions are what gives my list most of it's strength, and if I dropped any it would be the biting blade squad as it won't do as much damage because of the biting blade not being a power weapon.

But say I did take all your suggestions into place, you would reccomend this then?

Autarch (WJG, Spinner, Power Weapon, Mandiblasters)

Troops

5 Pathfinders

Elites

5 Harlequins (60 extra points to be spent on wargear ect, not sure what's best.)

Fast Attack

10 Warp Spiders (Exarch, Powerblades, Twin Spinners)

To my eyes this looks worse? I'll stick with the first list for the mo but I do like the idea of the autarch, so will probably swap the avatar for him and a couple more spiders. I'll get back to you when I'm done. Can you tell me why reapers are not worth there points as well please, I just don't see it. I'm also considering dropping the scorpions with the biting blade for a unit of harlequins but I don't know about how to set theml. So If anyone could tell me some of the better wargear set ups of harlequins for 197pts that would be appreciated as well.

@Skyleap: Thanks, I have taken a LONG time making that descision so it's good to have some support on it

And one last note on wraithlords, I like them. Just not enough to spend £25 on a model thats probably gonna be about 100-150pts. They are probably the worst value in the eldar army except for wraithguard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

I am going to base my comments off of the first list. The first problem is a major lack of range and few ways to get into range quickly/safely. The dark reapers are the only unit that can consistantly have a shot first round. You also lack anti tank. I only see the avatar the witchblade of the farseer and scorpion/warpspiders mass attacking the back armor of tanks. That simply won't cut it if you have to face a mech army, and if it is a fast mech army the problem only gets worse as you won't get close to them. If a landraider is used you have a total of two models that can hurt it.

You pointed out how damaging dark reapers can be but how are you going to save 3 T3 models? The average is 9 wounds for you to fail the 3+ save enough and if you fail the exarch save the other two will do very little. The other problem is they can't really do much if the enemy is still in a transport. They are a threat to MEQ armies and they know it. Don't expect them to get many chances to fire before they are dead.

Personally I think switching out a DA squad or two for some guardians so you have a ranged weapon that can try to stop vehicles is worth considering if you keep the avatar the fearless can help them alot. I would also say a AT wraithlord or lords would be a good addition. Barring that some warwalkers with scatterlasers or EMLs would give you some more ways to break open transports.

In short find some better tank busting. If you need to find some points I would look to drop a couple of the scorpions and the dark reapers, the scorpions because with two squads you can use them together as a big squad and even with a model or two dropped they still work well. The reapers because I don't think they will be as useful as you believe they will be. Playing a few games with proxies could help cement what you like and don't like.

Final thought if you do go with an autarch buy him a fusion gun. With high BS and good mobilty he would instanty become a legitamate AT unit, perhaps the best one in your list.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shas_on_u View Post
    Your other suggestions would be good if I didn't disagree with that statement.

And one last note on wraithlords, I like them. Just not enough to spend £25 on a model thats probably gonna be about 100-150pts. They are probably the worst value in the eldar army except for wraithguard.
    I would recommend you get some experience with eldar before telling people who do have it what's good and what's not. Cheers.
    My compiled thoughts blog.
    If someone posts something helpful +rep them

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Read my post, I did not. EVEN ONCE. Say what was good and what was bad. I simply said AS YOU QUOTED. "I DISAGREE".
    I didn't mean any offence, and I have had plenty of experience playing against eldar. And from that experience I have seen how powerful dark reapers are. In my opinion they are good, I never told you that my word was law or even that it was better than yours. I just told you my opinion. Infact better than that, I actually gave a reason for my opinion. Rather than a simple "They are not worth their points", no explanation or anything. That was telling someone what is good and what isn't, not what I said.

Anyway, onto someone with reasons behind their thoughts and helpful advice:

Thank you for clearing up the issue on reapers nakaruru, I didn't consider their fragility. Mostly due to the fact that I generally play fairly slow armies and their range has protected them. But your right all the same. It seems every one is saying I need a wraithlord. Looks like I'm gonna have to save up even more money *sigh*. Oh well.
    SO...
    If I were to add the wraithlords for some anti-tank... What do you think of this?

HQ

The Avatar

Troops

Elites

Heavy Support

Wraithlord (Scatter + Missile + Twin Flamer)

Wraithlord (Scatter + Missile + Twin Flamer)
    Last edited by shas_on_u; April 14th, 2010 at 15:20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

I'm not saying you have to take wraithlords I just feel the list needs some better AT. If you arn't going to take waveserpents the number of options drops quickly with the lords being fairly high on that list.

I personally set up AT wraithlords with the EML and brightlance so they can have 2 str 8 shots. I also noticed you took runes of witnessing but not warding. I will not argue against witnessing as there are alot more things effective leadership and psychic tests being fielded in armies lately. But unless you don't expect to fight any psykers the runes of warding are a great investment.

Perhaps dropping a scorpion or two from each squad to get two brightlances and the runes would be a change I would look at. If you don't want to use wraithlords you could get a couple of warwalkers or vypers. More fragile but a bit cheapers so you can get a couple more shots to start and not worry about wraithsight. Another option is to try and keep the dark reapers and equip the exarch with a EML but that removes the majority of the units MEQ killing power and doesn't solve the issue of them being a very expensive low model count unit. I think the lords would do the best for you but trying to list some other options that don't include him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

dropping 2 scorpions is a good idea, mainly because 3*6 = 18 so I won't have to buy 4 boxes .

No, the wraithlords are fine. I'll stick with them. It just means I've gone slightly over budget but I can save that up in a week anyway. So then, from all the suggestions I've had as well as my own opinions I'm going to work with this:

HQ

The Avatar

Troops

Elites

9 Striking Scorpions (Exarch, Scorpions Claw, Shadow Strike)

9 Striking Scorpions (Exarch, Biting Blade, Shadow Strike)

Heavy Support

Wraithlord (Lance + Missile + Twin Flamer)

Wraithlord (Lance + Missile + Twin Flamer)

So I have anti-tank in the from of 2 wrath lords, the Avatar a biting blade and a Farseer, anti-horde in the form of 30 Avengers and 18 Scorpions and Anti-MEQ in the form of... The Avatar and possibly the wraithlords. Since a lot of armies nowadays are MEQ this does seem to be a bit of a problem. I can still shoot my non-MEQ stuff at them but are there any suggestions to deal with that?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

If you are on foot, and depending on how is your local meta gaming, you should consider some form of anty artilery unit. That means for footdar shadowseer upgrade on harlequines.
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast