<1000 1,000 pt. Competitive List (please comment) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1,000 pt. Competitive List (please comment)

Hello all,

Next week I finally return home for a summer of constructing, assembling, and playing a 1,000 pt. Nid list that I hope to use in tournaments. I have had limited actual experience playing the new codex and have instead been reading volumes upon volumes of reports/articles/lists in preparation for my return. I appreciate commentary and criticism (especially from some of the more active/seasoned fellows, such as jy2 and number6 and the like):

HQ
    Hive Tyrant** - 241** or less
    See description below. Most likely going HVC, BS/Lash, Paroxysm, Leech Essence.

Elites
    2 Hive Guard - 100

Troops
    Tervigon - 185
    Catalyst, Toxin Sacs
    10 Termagants - 50
    8 Genestealers - 112
    8 Genestealers - 112

Heavy Support
    Trygon - 200

Effectively, the Tyrant is a walker. I was considering Wings or a Guard, but then he starts going over 250 points, which is over 25% of your army for a 4-wound model. So instead I gave him a long-range AT weapon and some up-close psychic powers when he is near enemies. The list gives him up to 241 points to fiddle with, so any other configurations/additions that would work with this list I would be open to hearing about.

I have heard/seen how difficult it is to come up with a truly "competitive" 1,000 point list (especially when I have to deal with BAngels all the time), so I tried to stick to what are generally considered the "best" or most efficient Nid units: Tyrant, Hive Guard, Terv/Terms, and Trygons. I threw Stealers in my list because I play assault-heavy armies on a very regular basis (BAngels, Templar, Ork).

To initially critique my own list, I don't foresee any grave weaknesses with the layout except maybe clarifying the Tyrant's role. There is a healthy amount of MC's, mid-sized units (Stealers, HGuard), and swarm effect from the Terv/Terms. I think it properly addresses all the "criteria" necessary to be well-balanced and successful (can it take on Mech? can it capture objectives well? how does it handle psychic powers? etc.). Of course, this is just my own opinion, and I'd like to hear from others on the matter.

/TC/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Looks like a very good list for 1000 points, ive just got a 2 points though.

What do you intend to do with the stealers? Will you be outflanking them or footslogging? If your outflanking then Id get hive commander on that tyrant, makes sure they turn up on time, most of the time.

I also wouldnt go mixed on a Hive Tyrant, you either want to set him up to shoot, or to fight in CC. Going by your list i think either will be okay, but id prefer Assaulty and wings, as a good counter punch unit, or a fast assaulter.

Other than that, i think it should do very well for you.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the quick response, Heirodule. I suppose I could have included you on the list of people that venture these boards frequently

I will be footslogging the Stealers and therefore will not need Hive Commander. Old Adversary is a possibility, however, I have found that ability to work best with the swarm strategy instead of a mixed list (although I'm sure it could work here if I tried). My top two loadout choices would be:
    1. Walking 'Rant w/ Guard and a transport-popping weapon for 250 points or less;
    2. Flyrant w/ TL Brainleech

I wish I had my codex with me right now so I could check points, but I'm hoping neither of those options runs more than 240-250 points.

To be honest, I don't know if wings are necessary because I never have problems getting him stuck in CC. In fact, I find him to be slightly vulnerable in CC against heavy-assault armies, and at least with the Guard you have 2 more T6 wounds to soak up first. As Tyrants seem to be more support-oriented than ever, I didn't think a balanced approach would be bad... pop transports the first 1-2 turns, end up in CC by turn 3...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Regarding the tyrant - If it works for you then go for it, if you can make it alive and dont mind losing the run move then theres no reason at all not to give it a gun. The guard will keep him alive a bit longer if you take this aproach so its certainly a build that works. If you find your getting hurt in assault though, then Acid blood is your firend. I meant to surgest it eariler but forgot. In 1000 point games this will deal a lot of damage on top of what you do normally, and may give oppoents something to think about if they assault you with a dangerous unt (ala Nobz or termies) and can provide a nice sting to even out combat and prevent no retreat.

Your tyrant builds come to 255 and 200 respectivly (i presume hes got 2 devourers) So the second option gives you a fair bit of room for points options elsewhere (maybe the prime upgrade for the trygon, a personal favorite) either will work for you, and if you take the second tyrant and bought the prime upgrade, it gives you a decent anti light transport/skimmer shot aswell.

Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

+ Reply to Thread