<2000 1500 Friendly Annihilation List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Friendly Annihilation List

Hey there everyone! This is my first shot at a 5ed Tyranid list above 1000pts. What I'm looking for is input on what people believe to be the strong points, the weak points, and where I can make improvements to my list. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Most of the models I can expand to for my list are of from the plastic range (Warriors, Gaunts, Carnifexes, Genestealers, Ravenors, etc.) though I'm not opposed to picking up a few metal models if they prove useful. Because this list will be used mostly for learning the codex and getting a feel for the army, the game type won't contain any objectives... I know, I know, but sometimes muscle flexing competitions are fun . Anywho, here it goes...

HQ
    Hive Tyrant (2 Scything Talons, Wings)
    Tyranid Prime (Boneswords, Scything Talons) // Unsure about ST vs Dev

Elite
    Zoanthrope x 1
    Zoanthrope x 1

Troops
    Tyranid Warriors x 4 (Boneswords, Scything Talons) // Unsure about ST vs Dev
    Hormagaunts x 20 (Toxin Sacs)

Fast Attack
    Gargoyles x 10

Heavy Support
    Trygon Prime (Regeneration)
    Old One Eye

I plan on using my Tyrant to rush up the field with the Gargoyles as a meat shield (separate squad.) The Hormagaunts, while trying to rush up out of line of sight, will also play a meat shield for the Prime and Warrior retinue. The Zoanthropes will be my tank-hunters and will likely be on each side of the board. The Trygon Prime will deep strike and try to disrupt/destroy my opponents backlines while Old One Eye (as expensive as he is!) will foot-slog it up the field, lending support to the squishier of units if needed.

As far as possibly list improvements, I know that the Trygon and Old One Eye are heavy point-sinks. I was tempted to play a basic Scything Talon Carni or possibly a TL Dev Carni in place of OOE. I understand that Carnis are expensive in this edition, but I've ALWAYS had good luck with them and consider them to be worthwhile targets/distractions for my opponent.

I'm also unsure about whether or not Scything Talons or Devourers would be more useful on my Warriors. Rerolling 1's in CC isn't so bad, but neither is softening up the squad I'm going to try and tear into. Would Genestealers with a Broodlord be more cost effective in place of these? I haven't gotten the chance to test either in 5ed yet.

Thanks for any input! I'll try and reply to any responses later today!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Hive Fleet Macarbe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

Hmm, the main problem I see with that list, is they are ALL CC. Only range you have in there is your tryogn prime and the gargoyles! I would drop a squad of 20 hormagaunts and add 15 termagaunts, I would also run your warrios as:
    3x Warriors- Toxin Sacs, Deathspitters, Barbed Strangler = 125
    You only need 3, these guys will add some much needed fire power, also consider dropping old one eye and replacing him with a dakkafex
    Carnifex
    Devourer with Brainleech worms
    Devourer with Brainleech worms
    He gives 12 strength 6 shots in a single turn of shooting, I would also run 2 or 3 hive guards for the great anti-tank they provide, and also consider putting those thropes in a spore so they can get nice and close with the enemy nice and fast. And yes, I do recommend taking 8 stealers and a broodlord, since 60% of the player you will vs are marines, the ability to ignore armor saves is invaluable. I would run ST on your prime, and if you find it hard to squeeze points drop regen on your trygon, besides from that all good! Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the late reply... I've been really busy with work and school...

I should have mentioned that I built this list with CC in mind. I understand the weaknesses of it and definitely see the need for some ranged units. Dropping a unit of Hormagaunts for some Termagants doesn't sound like that bad of an idea. I do have a Dakkafex (named "Bananas" for the simple reason he wrecked house in 4th edition and therefore needed a silly name to make my friends feel the need to NOT kill him) that I could put in place of OOE AND supply some much-needed fire support. I could always run 7 Stealers with a Broodlord (w/Scything Talons) at exactly 160 points in place of a squad of 20 Hormagaunts (w/Toxin Sacs) depending on who I face... I'm personally glad the numbers work out that way!

All the advice given is great and I do appreciated it, but I would rather keep my Warriors CC-oriented. Possibly due to my Warrior obsession back in 4ed, I feel the need to be very careful in how I kit-out my Warriors. I'm hooked on the idea of Boneswords (for the sake of taking down anything the gaunts don't,) but I don't know what else to equip them with! Would the Scything Talons help for the sake of rerolling 1's (which is half of my misses versus basic units) or would softening a target up via Devourers be of more use? Does anyone have any suggestions for or experience with this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

for your warriors if you really love them at CC but want them to compete with range I'd say try this
    [130] 3x warriors, 3x boneswords, 2x devourer, 1x barbed strangler

you have you CC wrecking crew when they arrive, at 36" they can start attempting to pin your opponent making it that much easier to approach and you have some guns to soften them up even more before you go in to slice n dice them, or you could drop the dev's for talons if you want them just CC with the lil bit of ranged support.

I'd say listen to nid, put those thropes in a squad and a spore and throw them at a tank, the thropes usually win
    other than that, dropping the 20 gaunts for 7 outflanking stealers and broodlord if your lucky apearing with a trygon apreaing will be a great distraction, and painful to boot.

but the problem with this is, you have a large portion of your troops off the table at the start, maybe make a dakkatyrant instead and give him hive commander, and rework your gargoyles into upgrades?

just some ideas to play around with, hope it helps!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Your only problem i can see is that you have a very limited amount of anti-tank. 2 zoanthropes is not going to cut it. What you need to do is drop old one eye, and get yourself 3 hive gaurd, a 3rd zoanthrope and a spore pod. Then investigate ways of getting hive commander on your tyrant, to speed up your zoans arrival.

Also take devourers over tallons, the tallons wont actually get you that many more kills, and having devourers means your a threat at range.

Other than that, looking good.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old One Eye is definitely a point sink. Dropping him for some Hive Guard, an extra Zoanthrope and a Spore for the squad would definitely supply more options for anti-armor... though I'll have to run OOE at some point to see how big of a can opener he can be!

Thanks for the advice and help everyone! Here is an updated version of my list. Please keep in mind that my friends and I are pretty easy-going about list making, so I can easily exchange a brood of 7 Genestealers and 1 Broodlord (w/ST) in place of 20 Hormagaunts. If anyone would like to suggest any further changes, feel free!

HQ
    Hive Tyrant (2 Scything Talons, Wings, Hive Commander)
    Tyranid Prime (Boneswords, Devourer)

Elite
    Zoanthrope x 3 (Mycetic Spore)
    Hive Guard x 1
    Hive Guard x 1

Troops
    Tyranid Warriors x 4 (Boneswords, Devourer)

Fast Attack
    Gargoyles x 10

Heavy Support
    Trygon Prime

+ Reply to Thread