What to add to a small army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to add to a small army?

I am new to warhammer 40k and want to start a small 500-1000 pt. ork army. I bought the ork battleforce and a box of killa kans and warbikers that I found for half price.

So I currently have:

20 ork Boyz
    2 Nobs
    5 warbikers + nob
    3 killa kans
    1 trukk

What would be some things I should add to make this an effective small army. I will be playing only against eldar, space wolves, and tau. And their armies are based off their respective battleforces too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

You NEED the rules, and the best place to get them is the good ol' Assault on Black Reach boxed set. It just happens to contain a fantastic collection of Orks for your army! You'll get:

A well equipped Warboss
    5 crappy nobs
    18 Slugga boyz (Slugga boys have the choppa/slugga combo and are meant to get stuck in to hand to hand combat)
    2 Shoota boyz
    3 Deffkoptas with twin-linked rokkits

The Warboss is a must have. Powerklaws are vital to the Orks and you have TWO from your battleforce. That's not enough yet....get a Nobz box as your next purchase. You'll want a well-equipped Nobz mob with a couple of PKs to ride in the trukk with the Warboss. The battleforce boyz make great Shootas. This gives you two good sized mobs of boyz. A lot of people like grotzookas on the kans, I prefer rokkits, but make them all the same whatever you choose. The Warbikes and both boyz mobs need to be led by a Nob with PK and bosspole - this is why you NEED the Nobz box!

I always recommend starting with the AOBR orks, battleforce and nobz box, with one of the very next choices possibly being the kans...you are on the right track.

To follow all of the above, consider Lootas, a Big Mek with Kustom Force Field, battlewagon, MORE BOYZ.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

its all depending on how you build your army (footslogging / mechainized / Dreadbash ....). But you cannot go wrong with KFF mek, Warboss, Lootas and battlewagons... and Power Klaws!! PK's should be in every boy units. They are one of our best ways to deal with pesky 2+/3+ saves and tanks. The boys are good by themselves, but they are all there to get the PK in to the fight.

I myself am a big fan of mechanized armies. So I use battlewagons, and a few trukks for support. Inside the wagons is a good ammount of boyz with shootas / sluggas and choppas for veriaty, and a hammer unit of Nobz. To back up my core army, anything goes. KFF adds ALOT to mechaniced armies and dread armies. 4+ saves for vehicles and only 5+ for footslogging. So I always use KFF in my mech lists. But for the rest of the army it is alot of personal choices to make.

Bikes / Buggies / Deffkoptas / stormboys are all good in its own way. They kind of do the same role in your army, but their uses are a bit different. They all support your army with a spesific task. Buggies and koptas zoom around dealing with tanks and such. Stormboys help your troops in CC or tie up weak shooty enemies. they work good against vehicles too. Bikes zooms around shooting at units to soften them up befor the boyz get in. They are a good way of getting a PK in the rear of a enemy vehicle, so theire role is to support fire and hunt vehicles. Its all about choice here. they are all good in what they do.

Lootas is far supperios to burnas (who absolutely needs transport to be effective) and tankbustas (who also needs transport). Kommandos is probably good, ive never used them. Tankbustas can be good, Ive heard some people always taking them for popping tanks and such. Ive not used them much, because I rater want Nobz, Manz and Lootas in my army.

I would also suggest to get some grots. Those little buggers can help your army a lot! I always use 10 of them with a runt herder, and their main purpos in the game is to grab objectives and table quaters. They do the job, so that your tougher troops can get to the fight! If you run a footslogging army, you could always use them as shield for your boys. Probably want more than 10 then.. 20 might be good enough. These are a great asset to you army, but are not mandoraty.

I played 500pts a couple of times with combat patrol rules. "40k-in-40minutes" was the name of the rules, and you can finde them by searching the internet. I won a great deal of games with two very different lists:

2x20 shootaboys with 2 bigshootas
    3kannons
    and some lootas

This list will tear you opponent down with massive firepower. And to have 40 boys running about is absoulutely stunning at such a small point game! If the opponent is shooting, then you walk forward while you shoot them. Are they CC oriented, then you stand your ground and fill those bodies with bullets!

another fun list is a bit more speedy and with less boys, but just as lethal.

2 trukkboyz squads
    some bikers

Soften them up with shooting from the bikes, and tear them down in close combat. You are fast, so use this to your advantage. If the enemy is CC oriented, drive around and shoot at them till they are soft enough for your boys to handle them. If they shoot at you, the choice is just to get in as fast as possible and chop your enemies down.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

I agree with Cossack. The assault on black reach set would help a lot, if you have someone to split it with.

It matters what type of army you're going to play, but I'd definitely get more boyz. Also, what's going in the trukk? If you get the assault on black reach set, you'll get some nobz and a warboss that would go nicely in there. Otherwise boyz work, but that would leave about 10 boyz on foot, which doesn't work well. You need at least 20 on foot.

In any case, I'd definitely get up to at least 3 troops (groups of nobz count, if you have a warboss) and an HQ before getting anything else. The assault on black reach set, grots, and lootas would be very nice additions when expanding your force.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

Thanks so much guys for your valuable and detailed input! I am buying an aobr
    set to split with a sm playing friend and am keeping my eye out for some nobs and a big mek on eBay for cheap. Thanks again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't add anything else in the way of "what to buy." You've got tons of great advice from the previous posts. However, I do suggest that you try to pick up some extra Nobs from AoBR if you can. And here's why:

A well placed Dremel tool or mini-saw can easily remove their arms. Remember all that fun junk from the Nobs box that you didn't have enough actual bodies to make? Well, there are your bodies! Also, a bunch of the AoBR nobs have stikk-bombs, perfect for re-posing into Kommandos, if you're building a unit of them.

So if you see some for cheap or in the bits bin, they're definitely worth keeping on hand for future orky development!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extra Nobs

Thank you for this advice. It's perfect because I actually won some of
    the aobr nobs on eBay yesterday. I got them dirt cheap and didn't know they weren't
    very good, then I read in here that they're pretty useless so I thought I wasted my money.

I actually have quite a few bits of various varieties left. But I'm wondering now
    what the best thing to convert them into would be. Should I convert them to nobs with better weapons, kommandos (are these useful in groups of 5) or put them on warbikes to turn my biker squad into a nob biker squad. Thanks for the input guys!

Also, I love my kills kans. They're the first thing I bought and I think they're the coolest. But can they be effective as a heavy choice if I have only three of them?
    Last edited by Jgroover; May 22nd, 2010 at 18:11.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

The first thing you should do, before assembling your army, is search for various army lists and find one with positive feedback that suits your play style. Then (and this is the important part!) read up on some conversion guides, to show you how to get there! You don't need to buy all sorts of extra boxes for the bitz, if you know how to make the proper conversions.

For example, with AoBR, I will be buying twelve Trukk wheels to convert my three Deffkoptas into three Nob ATV's (aka, Nob Bikers). Since I'll be removing quite a few parts from my Deffkoptas, I'll have some odds and ends to recycle with the rest of my models -- primarily the Kopta Blades off the top can be chopped up and bashed together to make Power Klaws for my AoBR Nobz.

Granted, you could use 100% out of the box GW models for your Ork army, but IMO the scavenging and converting are just as fun as actually playing. You can make just about anything in the Ork model range out of.. well.. anything. So long as in the end it looks adequately Orky.

Cheers!
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Holy crap, batman! The nob advice - outstanding!

I took one of my leftover sprues from my Lootas and using one of the AoBR nob bodies made THIS:

Therefore, one box of Lootas/Burnas and the five nobz in AoBR gets you five Lootas and five Burnas! No need to sacrifice regular boyz figures to do it!
    Last edited by Cossack; May 23rd, 2010 at 07:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

That there's one fine lookin' burna boy, ayup. I managed to turn a bit over a dozen AOBR ork boyz from sluggas to shootas with leftover guns from a couple of old packs of stormboyz. Not all of them were easy - they're all modeled with one arm holding a CCW, and some of the poses have a shoulder plate hanging over the arm in such a way that it's tough to cut the one off without ruining the other. (On the other hand, I've got some spare shoulder pads too, so you could just go ahead and ruin 'em, then replace with the other.) A little green stuff to fill gaps helped too. Been thinking about trying the same stunt with some of the remaining boyz to make burnas...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast