<3000 2000 Point Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000 Point Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

2000 Point Tau

Alright, so I have gone and found out the competition I will be facing here at garrison. The folks here play 2000 pt games, thus my 1500 pt army is no longer enough. Therefore I have a general idea of the army I plan on running, but need the expert input of LO!

HQ

Shas'O

Shas'el

ELITE

XV8 Firestorm Team

XV8 Firestorm Team

XV8 Team

TROOP

Firewarrior Squad
    ~Devil Fish

Firewarrior Squad
    ~Devil Fish

Kroot Squad
    ~Hounds

Kroot Squad
    ~Hounds

FAST ATTACK

Pathfinder Squad

Pathfinder Squad

HEAVY SUPPORT

Hammerhead (Rail)

Hammerhead (Rail)

Skyray
    I am facing multiple Nid armies, one of which that deep strikes big bugs and gaunt blobs. There are also two Gaurd players who mass infantry and veteran squads. One ork player who mass boyz. Finally three Marine players, one of this is Space Wolves...

I figured flamers and such would work on the crisis suits... but I need firepower to down marines... Most armies here have no transports, and slog on foot. Fire knives would a good selection, but the massed blob units would be better dealt with with flamers and burst cannons.

I was also considering the Airburster for the Shas'O.

Frankly I rarely fight Nids, and have no experience with their new codex... My list is devoid of wargear or weapons as I await advice.

Last edited by Serran; May 27th, 2010 at 23:13.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potential Cuts
    For starters I'd the Shas'O unless you intend to make him a Ninja'O (anti-light infantry, 4+ inv. and H&R) and tie up gaunts/ light infantry in combat to prevent them from tying up your more valuable suits.

I would drop the second unit of Pathfinders, a 2nd unit is likely to just be a point sink that really contribute much in the way of a metagame, even with the abundance of cover saves you'll need to strip off.

Crisis Weaponry
    Onto Crisis loadouts. Seeing as you intend on maxing Crisis Suit presence, they need to be cheap. And seeing as you seem to be playing against a few horde armies, FireStorm (burst, pods, MT = 50 pts for Shas'ui) seem a good choice. Now don't scoff or quit reading. Advanced Tau Tactica :: View topic - [Tactica] Fire Storm should explain pretty well. Basically, disregarding markerlights this loadout will perform as well as fireknives against MEQs and far better against hordes due to sheer rate of fire. And seeing as there is no restriction on how many squads you can take you can take 3 squads of 3 dirt cheap. Given that the bugs tend to have a lot more less squishy targets nowadays (think Trygon, Tervigon etc.) I'd have a squad of Helios (plasma, melta, MT) in there to sort those bad boys out. The commanders should fulfil any roll not covered by the elites.
    A fun loadout you could try is the Heatwave (tl-flamer, bsf, 34 pts). Deepstrike and voila, gaunts/ orks/ guard on toast. Dropping one of these in your opponent's back line(s) can be a really demoralizing experience for them and they'll likely try to take it/ the squad out next turn as vengeance leaving another of your army free to advance (in theory at least).

Troops
    Moar! It's 2000 pts and you only have 2 (albeit mobile) choices, gonna be hard claiming and keeping objectives. I'd recommend some outflanking Kroot with hounds, a personal favourite of mine.

Hope this advice helps. Hopefully someone else will contribute too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

Thank you invoker, the Firestorm is a good idea and at least two of the three teams will be outfitted that way for point save and anti-blob effectiveness.

Kroot are always a must have, don't know how I forgot them.

As to the Shas'O... the reason I was making him a Shas'O was because of the Airburst weapon. I am not sure if it's the same as the submunition round from my Railheads, but higher BS effects scatter on the pie plate. I know a TL can up a Shas'el's BS, but the extra wound can help keep him in the fight against deep striking Glory Boys, and gunline Guard. I suppose the anti-blob ability of the Firestorms make taking the Airburst a over kill, but the no cover saves part of the weapon's rule can be a real life saver.

Question is, what weapon is best used in conjunction with the Airburst? A TL on the Shas'el means I will match the BS of the Shas'O, but will mean I cannot bring a MT to allow the use of both the Airburst and whatever other weapon he carries. Except maybe a hardwired one, but then I cannot bring drones with him. Point being I am stuck pondering the choice between Shas'O and Shas'el on the Airburst armed HQ suit.

Finally the pathfinders. It is more than likely too much, but I enjoy having enough Marker-light hits for everyone. Especially when I will more than likely by firing seeker missiles from turn one, and trying to guide in Railhead pie plates with as much distance as possible. While the Firestorm suits are good, they have to get into JSJ range and play dance of death with the enemy, where as a well places Railhead can fire clear across the table, possibly taking out the more dangerous blobs in early turns, or reducing them into much more managable mobs that the Firewarriors can mop up. As my list stands I have 18 Marker lights on the field. I also have pathfinders with railguns, though people generally tell me they are useless. I might be wrong... but rail rifles are Str6, which could be used to kill some big bugs who's have 6 Toughness. One pathfinder team could be shaved down into a sniper team without damaging my Heavy choices at all. And placed in a position over watching Pathfinder Team 1, the snipers could help keep the other team alive with pinning fire, assuming they have ML hits to reduce the enemy's Ld score.

Thanks for the advice so far. Further thoughts on the role of the secondary HQ suit, and the third XV8 team are welcome. Final unit compositions rely heavily on the outfitting of my Crisis teams so I know what point pool I have left over. XV8's are primary on my list, because my opponents here are largely foot bound, meaning I can use my superior mobility of XV8s to never even see return fire.

Also, as added incentive to my fellow Tau brethren... the guys here have scoffed at my Tau, and told me Tau are a useless army that I waste money on. The only Tau they have fought was a fellow running maxed Firewarrior gunline, with only one XV8 commander in the list, and no Markerlights... no crisis teams... one suit, and a lot of Firewarriors. clearly we/I have some educating to do to the guys here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding the HW-MT and HW-DC, there's no limit to how mant hard-wired systems you take. You could take all 4 if you wanted. I'm too tired to comprehend most of the stuff you've said so I'll take another bash at it tomorrow

+ Reply to Thread