<2000 1750 Competitive List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

1750 Competitive List

This is a list I plan on using until I get some zoanthropes. I already have everything needed for it and I'm wondering what you fellow tyranid players think of it.

HQ
    x1 Hive Tyrant: Two pairs of Scything Talons, Hive Commander
    x3 Tyrant guard
    Total: 375

Elites
    x5 Ymgarl Stealers
    x5 Ymgarl Stealers

Total: 230

Troops
    x12 termagaunts
    x1 Tervigon with Scything Talons and Catalyst
    x7 genestealers and x1 broodlord
    Total: 378

Heavy Support
    x2 carnifix with twin-linked brainleech worms, a pair of scything talon and bioplasma
    x2 spore pod
    x1 Trygon Prime with Regeneration
    Total: 755

Grand total: 1748

Strategy:
    Put everything in reserve except for hive tyrant with tyrant guard and brood of termagaunts. Hopefully my opponent will kill the termagaunts because I only have about twenty-some gaunts for the tervigon.

Then have trygon prime and carnifix's deepstrike. Hopefully they'll open up some transports and then have Ymgarl stealers and outflanking stealers assault stuff. In objective games the tervigon would be used to poop out squads of gaunts to sit on objectives. While all this is happening the Hive tyrant is walking up the battlefield to close off any chance of escape and to engage the enemy.

I've played a game using roughly this list and was doing great except for the fact I couldn't open up his land raider with a "death star" unit inside (assault terminators with chaplain and Kosarro Khan"

Comments and feed back are always welcome!

Last edited by Reeses; June 5th, 2010 at 22:52.
    Reese's Space Marine and Tyranid WIP Thread: Warp Masters and Friends

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

This seems like a flawed army. You can only capture one objective, that's not enough. The genestealers will die almost every game, you can't afford to objective camp with them. The Tervigon making a Gaunt wall works really well against many armies but sometimes it fails.

Starting a Tyrant on the board, even with 3 Guard, is a bad idea against shooting armies. He also doesn't really do anything except run and hope for CC.

Even worse, you have 0 anti-tank. It's all about CC and very little shooting. Each Carnifex has a chance to drop a light vehicle and the Trygon can do the same, but not heavy tanks and both are unreliable do to scatter, mid-range Strength, and lack of AP on the Carnies.

The Ymgarls are decent anti-tank but can be countered depending on terrain and how numerous the opponents infantry is. They're most likely suicide units, so if you don't get enough out of them it was a waste.

I really don't think is competitive. Even if your Heavy Support all comes in at once, they're easy to counter-attack. Carnifexes are vulnerable to assault as are Primes if the unit is dedicated CC. They're both easy to drop with shooting, I've killed a Trygon in one turn many times with very little of my army.

Sorry if that tears down your list, I think you need a bit better of a plan for objectives, at least buy more Gaunts so you can make a unit and have them move away. Your drop also needs more punch and you need a non-CC plan for heavy tanks.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

This seems like a flawed army. You can only capture one objective, that's not enough. The genestealers will die almost every game, you can't afford to objective camp with them. The Tervigon making a Gaunt wall works really well against many armies but sometimes it fails.
    I'm really not worried about objectives; I don't plan on making a gaunt wall I plan on using the tervigon to capture objectives by itself or drop a gaunt squad on lone objectives while the carnifixes, stealers, and trygon do all the fighting. If the stealers are getting shot at good for them. That's a few less squads shooting at my MCs

Code:
    Starting a Tyrant on the board, even with 3 Guard, is a bad idea against shooting armies. He also doesn't really do anything except run and hope for CC.
    All I really need to do is make my hive tyrant survive long enough to use his bonus reserve rolls. I'm going to put him in cover with his guard and its going to take a ridiculous amount of firepower to take his unit down. After first turn by all means my opponent could keep shooting at my hive tyrant as it runs at them but they'll probably to busy with the four other MCs and tides of genestealers that are closing in around them from all sides.

The Ymgarls are decent anti-tank but can be countered depending on terrain and how numerous the opponents infantry is. They're most likely suicide units, so if you don't get enough out of them it was a waste.
    I do agree with you here. Once I rake up the cash there going to be replaced with zoanthropes
    I really don't think is competitive. Even if your Heavy Support all comes in at once, they're easy to counter-attack. Carnifexes are vulnerable to assault as are Primes if the unit is dedicated CC. They're both easy to drop with shooting, I've killed a Trygon in one turn many times with very little of my army.

I do agree with you that carnifixs suck, unfortunately there all I have. I have played a game with them and they seem to be more survivable if the trygon deploys closer to the enemy and the carnifix behind them.

This list is not perfect but is all I have right now. If I could get all the warhammer I wanted in the world My tyranid list would look like.

HQ
    x1 Hive Tyrant: Two pairs of Scything Talons, Hive Commander
    x3 Tyrant guard
    Total: 375

Elites
    x2 zoanthropes
    x2 zoanthropes
    x2 spore pods

Total: 300

Troops
    x10 termagaunts
    x1 Tervigon with Catalyst
    x10 termagaunts
    x1 Tervigon
    Total: 450

Heavy Support
    x1 Trygon
    x1 Trygon
    Total: 625

Grand total: 1750

jur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Code:
    All I really need to do is make my hive tyrant survive long enough to use his bonus reserve rolls. I'm going to put him in cover with his guard and its going to take a ridiculous amount of firepower to take his unit down. After first turn by all means my opponent could keep shooting at my hive tyrant as it runs at them but they'll probably to busy with the four other MCs and tides of genestealers that are closing in around them from all sides.

[/QUOTE]

He Reeses,

You Hive Tyrant doesn't have to be on the board to get the bonus, so you can keep him in reserve if you want.

Second list is much better but I would take out a 1 trygon, 1 Guard and 1 zoan unit and go for 3*2 Hive Guard instead and at 1 zoan to the other unit.

gr
    Jur

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

You Hive Tyrant doesn't have to be on the board to get the bonus, so you can keep him in reserve if you want.
    Just read over the rules and your right Jur, thanks for the advice. That will open up a whole bunch of points and if I wanted to I could convert my tyrant guard into hive guard. Here's the new list

HQ
    x1 Hive Tyrant: Two pairs of Scything Talons, Hive Commander, wings

Total: 255

Elites
    x2x3 hive guard
    x3 zoanthropes
    x1 spore pod

Total: 505

Troops
    x10 termagaunts
    x1 Tervigon with Catalyst
    x10 termagaunts
    x1 Tervigon
    x8 genestealers

Total: 450

Heavy Support
    x1 Trygon
    Total: 425
    Grand Total: 1747
    Last edited by Reeses; June 7th, 2010 at 00:33.

jur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He Reeses,

I will run almost the same list for testing, I will run
    HQ
    x2 Hive Tyrant: Lash Whip, Bonesword, Scything Talons, Hive Commander, wings, devourer with brainleech wurms

Elites
    x2x2 hive guard
    x1x3 hive guard

Troops
    x10 termagaunts
    x1 Tervigon with Catalyst, Adrenal Glands
    x10 termagaunts
    x1 Tervigon with Catalyst, Adrenal Glands

Heavy Support
    x1 Trygon
    x1 Trygon

I will try this list against IG mech army. The list I was running until now, won every game against different SM army's but didn't stand a change against IG mech army so I will try this one.

(old list
    HQ
    Prime with dual boneswors and deathspitter
    Elite
    3 Zoans
    3 Hive Guard
    DoM in Pod

Troops
    6 Warrior with Dual Boneswords and Deathspitter
    10 Termagaunt
    1 Tervigong Catalyst, Toxin Sacs, Adrenal Glands
    6 Genestealer
    6 Genestealer

Trygon Prime
    Trygon Prime
    )

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

Good luck with your games tell me how you do. For now I have no intention of spending the money on all those zoanthropes and hive guard I dont have and try to work with what I got.

+ Reply to Thread