<3000 First Tyranid List - 2500 Competitive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

First Tyranid List - 2500 Competitive

Hey tyranid players, below is my first attempt at a tyranid list - I still don't know if I've got everything figured out so far as synergy and redundancy (probably not) and I don't own any models yet so rip it apart if need be.

Swarmlord
    - 2x Tyrant Guard with Lash Whips

3x Hive Guard
    3x Hive Guard
    2x Zoanthropes
    - Mycetic Spore Pod

30x Termagants
    20x Hormagaunts
    - Toxin Sacs
    20x Hormagaunts
    - Toxin Sacs
    Tervigon
    - Catalyst
    10x Genestealers
    5x Warriors
    - Boneswords/Lashwhips
    - Scything Talons

Trygon
    Trygon
    Carnifex
    - Mycetic Spore Pod
    - Bio-Plasma
    - 2x Scything Talons

Ok, so, largest concern for me is AT power - Hive Guard can cover most lighter stuff, but heavy stuff will have to be done in by MC's like the Trygons, etc. for the most part. The main idea here is a swarm/horde approach that deploys mostly on the field and then advances quickly and (hopefully) overwhelms the opposition. Genestealers outflank and the Carnifex comes down in the pod to try and disrupt the enemy a little bit.

EDIT: And I am short a fair few points, so suggestions welcome there, I was thinking maybe a couple extra genestealers or perhaps some upgrades (toxin sacs?) on the warriors?

Last edited by hotspike18; June 14th, 2010 at 19:21.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

The list is very... disorganised would be my thought. For example what are the gargoyles there for? Youve got a lot of anti infantry in the guants and horms, and theyre a totally different speed to the rest of the list.

Just a quick pointer before i get to the main list, youve got 7 troops

Okay first things first, im gonna recogmend a few upgrades and units to drop, to free up some points. First to go are those gargoyles, swiftly followed by all the upgrades on the Trygons.

Now the first thing to do is to combine the 2 squads of termaguants, then add 10 more models. Then put adrenal glands and toxin sacs on your tervigon. Not only does this bring you to 6 troops, you have also created a potentially lethal unit. This combo is possibly my favorite in the entire dex, and when it goes off its a beauty. Basically use the swarmlord to give prefered enemy to the guants, then use the tervgion to give them feel no pain. Use guants spawned from the tervigon to form cover, and you have a unit that can take most units in the game (barring dedicated assualters, like nob bikers or TH/SS termies.) 4+ cover and 4+ feel no pain, 60 attacks weither your charged or not, re-rolls to hit and wound against most targets. Very nasty.

Id then consider losing the warriors for a brood of 3 zoanthropes in a spore pod, simply to dea with the inevitable landraider or other heavy vehicle at this points level. Replacing the carnifex with a T-fex might also be an idea.

One other small detail is to add a Broodlord to the genestealers, and at this level id be tempted to say a few more models aswell.

As for being short a good few points, how many is a good few? If you can afford it, id go for another tyrant instead of the prime (if you drop the warriors) or simply more warriors and a spore pod.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

At the moment the list is illegal as you have 7 troop choices. Will be glad to take a look at the list after that problem is solved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

I agree with most of what Heirodule said. Not much focus in the list. It looks like you're trying for a horde list.

Gargoyles are nice with a fast list, but most of your army are foot sloggers. (Although you could deep strike them.) Unless you're going to deep strike them with more of your army, I'd dump them. Maybe give thought to dropping some hive guard and replacing with zoanthropes. Those are your best AT unit.

You also have enough deep striking units that you should give serious thought to adding hive commander, or the swarm lord equivalent. You want your pods to get on the table fast and at the same time.

Personally I'd drop the swarm lord and put in a flyrant to deep strike as-well. I love the idea of the swarm lord but I like the flyarnt better. That also frees up a ton of points for upgrades.

So in summary, a few things I'd alter:
    - swarm lord + guard
    + flyrant
    (may keep the gargoyles to DS with.)
    + zoans in a pod
    + hirodules gaunt/tervigon combo
    - drop a unit of core troops or replace with some warriors

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I would like to echo every point so far made by those previous to me.

So first order of business is to make a legal army list.

Second order of business is to cover the glaring and obvious anti-armour deficiency that you yourself note. You're playing 2500 pts! Are you just hoping that you don't encounter Space Marines, IG, Tau, and Eldar?

Third order of business is to focus your list strategically and tactically. The one comment from earlier that I really wish to highlight -- and everybody said it -- is that the list is very disorganized. It really is just a grab bag of units thrown together until the points limit is reached.

Focus the list.
    Ensure that you can compete against any army list you are likely to face. You cannot be satisfied with a list with glaring tactical holes in it.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Ok, went back to the drawing board and wanted to see what you all thought of this (thanks for all the posts by the way!)

Swarmlord

3x Hive Guard
    3x Hive Guard
    2x Zoanthropes
    - Mycetic Spore Pod

30x Termagants
    20x Hormagaunts
    - Toxin Sacs
    20x Hormagaunts
    - Toxin Sacs
    Tervigon
    - Catalyst
    10x Genestealers
    5x Warriors
    - Boneswords/Lashwhips
    - Scything Talons

Trygon
    Trygon
    Carnifex
    - Mycetic Spore Pod
    - Bio-Plasma
    - 2x Scything Talons

Some concerns:
    - I like having a unit that can handle almost anything, but would it be smarter to switch out for a regular Tyrant with a HVC for a little more AT punch?
    - Is the Carnifex worth keeping? It's honestly in there because I wanted to use one, but it might be better with a Tyrannofex or something I'm thinking.
    - Are the warriors too redundant with all the CC power already present? Those are also a 'fan favorite' of mine, they may not have a strong purpose, I just wanted to use them
    - I dropped the gargoyles as asked, I put them in there because I wanted to give cover to my bigger bugs. And have a unit that could quickly jump ahead and nail down a unit, try and clog up enemy plans.

Where possible, I'd prefer to avoid an all drop list (though sounds very fun) I am trying to stick with a horde/swarm approach so long as that is viable. Please keep the advice coming - how do you think I should focus the list/make it less disorganized?

EDIT: Also, I meant to add more love to the Tervigon but couldn't find the points for the glands and such after squeezing in the other changes. Big deal?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Much better

Just a few couple of jiggles and i think the list is good to go.

The first Jiggle is to keep the devourers on the warriors, but take dual boneswords instead. As you say, with the power in the list already, PW's will do perfectly. This should give you enough points to put the toxins and adrenal on the Tervigon.

Im in agreement about killing the fex for a T-fex, however there are alternate options available. To get the extra 60 points, ditch a Tyrant guard, provided you put guants infront for cover, id say one will do. If you dont fancy the idea of a lone T-fex (and i admit i prefer mine in pairs, but ones have worked before now) then a straight swap for a trygon, or a mawloc with change is a good idea.

Appart from the jiggles, i like the list and think it should be very effective.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

283 (x6)

Alright, dropped the Lash Whips on the Warriors and grabbed the Glands and Toxin Sacs for the Tervigon, anyone have some more suggestions? (Oh, and used the extra five points for Frag Spines on the Carnifex) Have been considering dropping the Swarmlord for a Tyrant with HVC and Hive Commander and Old Adversary, no idea if that actually ends up being cheaper though (need to double check).

Swarmlord

3x Hive Guard
    3x Hive Guard
    2x Zoanthropes
    - Mycetic Spore Pod

30x Termagants
    20x Hormagaunts
    - Toxin Sacs
    20x Hormagaunts
    - Toxin Sacs
    Tervigon
    - Catalyst
    - Adrenal Glands
    - Toxin Sacs
    10x Genestealers
    5x Warriors
    - Boneswords x2
    - Scything Talons

Trygon
    Trygon
    Carnifex
    - Mycetic Spore Pod
    - Bio-Plasma
    - 2x Scything Talons
    - Frag Spines
    Last edited by hotspike18; June 23rd, 2010 at 20:44.

+ Reply to Thread