<3000 2500 point Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500 point Tyranids

I am starting a new tyranid army from nothing, and I like to shoot for an eventual 2500 pt list to work my way up to. Here is what I came up with. I am going for a central firebase of termagants and tervigons with fast, hard-hitting units that can deep strike or outmaneuver the enemy on wings.

Right now, I'm not sure what to outflank (if anything) with Hive Commander on the Tyrant. It is mostly just there for the +1 to reserves.

I'm not sure about the Venomthropes. The 5+ cover saves (probably used for the tervigons and their spawn) will be useful, but are they worth the points?

I really like the Doom of Malan'tai, so he probably isn't going anywhere unless I hear a very compelling reason not to keep it.

If I had the points, the next thing to be added on would probably be 1-2 Screamer Killers in a Spore.

Tell me what you all think!

HQ

Hive Tyrant 290
    -Old Adversary
    -Hive Commander
    -Wings
    -Leech Essence
    -Paroxysm

Tyranid Prime 100
    -Lash Whip and Bonesword
    -Deathspitter

ELITES

The Doom of Malan’tai 130
    -Mycetic Spore

2x Hive Guard 100

3x Zoanthropes 220
    -Mycetic Spore

Troops

5x Tyranid Warriors 270
    -Boneswords
    -Deathspitters
    -Mycetic Spore
    -Barbed Strangler

Tervigon 195
    -Adrenal Glands
    -Toxin Sacs
    -Catalyst

Tervigon 195
    -Adrenal Glands
    -Toxin Sacs
    -Catalyst

15x Termagants 75

15x Termagants 75

FAST ATTACK

30x Gargoyles 240
    -Toxin Sacs
    -Adrenal Glands

Harpy 180
    -TL Heavy Venom Cannon
    -Cluster Spines
    -Adrenal Glands

Harpy 180
    -TL Heavy Venom Cannon
    -Cluster Spines
    -Adrenal Glands

HEAVY SUPPORT

Trygon Prime 250
    -Adrenal Glands

TOTAL: 2500 pts

Last edited by fatal_GRACE; June 16th, 2010 at 17:34.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Looks decent, a couple of points though;

You cant take Hive commander and old adversary together, its either or.

Im sorry, i will come back and comment on this in full, but my computer is about to have a meltdown, just thought id point that out know

Cheers
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, my mistake. The text for most exclusive options says "take one of the following" but those aiblities say "take any of the following," so I assumed I could take more than one.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your critique!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Right as promised, im back

The list looks solid actually, youve just got a couple of creases i think you could deal with.

Remove the venomthropes. On paper they're a great unit, but you can quite easily get 4+ cover through simple layering (ie guants infront of warriors, infront of MCs) You also need the elites slot.

Buy yourself a squad of 3 hive guard, theyre a great unit and will open up transports very nicley.

Drop the tallons from the tervigons, they dont need them.

Give the gargoyles adrenal glands too, its so cheap its a waste not to.

Finaly buy yourself a spore pod for the zoanthropes, in order that they dont get blown away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fatal_GRACE View Post
    Oh, my mistake. The text for most exclusive options says "take one of the following" but those aiblities say "take any of the following," so I assumed I could take more than one.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your critique!
    Actually, you can take more than one of those abilities. Not always recommended, but I've yet to see anything that says you can't.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

344 (x8)

Holy moly, your right! Sorry guys, ive just missed that totaly!

I still wouldnt recogmend it, as your tryant will often hit 300+,but if you wish, i belive you can then.

Rep for both, and my appologies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips so far, guys.

I'll go ahead and keep Old Adversary and Hive Commander on the Tyrant. He is likely to be screened by gargoyles, and with preferred enemy on top of Toxin Sacs and Adrenal glands, they will probably be pretty potent.

Thanks for the thoughts on the Venomthropes. I had my doubts about them, myself, so I will go ahead and drop them, as well as the scything talons on the Tervigons (for some reason, I thought they were mandatory). That leaves me with another 120 points to play with. It's a good sum, but not nearly enough for all the suggested additions. I can pretty easily add in the Adrenal glands for the Gargoyles, and give my Zoans a Mycetic Spore, which leave me with 50 points (40 if I upgrade the Spore). Should I find 100 points to trim for those Hive Guard, or just fill the last 50 points with an extra Warrior or some more gaunts?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

344 (x8)

okay thats a pain... what about.... drop a harpy, buy the hive guard, do all the mentioned upgrades with the Venomthrope points, and anything left over goes on the warriors or whatever else you think needs it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very reluctant to drop a harpy, particularly for a slower moving unit like the Hive Guard, as it doesn't really mesh with the fast-moving feel I want the army to have (plus I freaking love the Harpy). I did juggle some points around, so tell me what you think of the changes (edited into my original post).

I'm also considering giving one of the Tervigons Onslaught, so I can get units moving even faster. Is this a good idea, or is Catalyst just too darn good (I'm inclined to believe catalyst is the clear winner)?
    Last edited by fatal_GRACE; June 16th, 2010 at 17:36.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

344 (x8)

Catalyst wins. You havnt got a lot that needs to move faster and still shoot. Catalyst turns your gargoyles into irritaing nightmares, and your warriors into hardened killers. Keep it.

I do like what youve done to the list though, ill be damned if i can work out where the points came from, but good job.

One small surgestion, drop 5 gargoyles for another Hive guard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast