<3000 2250 Points First List with the new Codex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

2250 Points First List with the new Codex

Ok so with the horrors of the modern world such as exams and the like despite buying the latest Codex the day it came out I've only just put together a real list with it, with just a few more exams left

It's designed to be semi-serious: Not looking to go around winning tournaments, but not just for the lols either. But yeah as it is my first list I haven't really got a clue what's strong and what's not in the new codex

HQ: 255pts
    Hive Tyrant w/ Wings, 2x scything talons, Hive Commander.

Troops: 806pts
    5x warriors w/ Scything Talons, Boneswords, Adrenal Glands
    22x Hormagaunts w/ Toxin Sacs
    7 Genestealers (no upgrades) & Broodlord w/ Scything Talons
    10 Termagaunts
    Tervigon w/ Cluster Spines

Elites: 360pts
    2x Hive Guard (no upgrades)
    2x Hive Guard (no upgrades)
    2x Zoanthrope (w/Mycetic Spore)

Fast Attack: 84pts
    12 Gargoyles w/ Toxin Sacs

Heavy Support: 745pts
    2x Carnifex's w/ 2 sets of scything talons each
    1x Carnifex's w/ 1 set of scything talons & a heavy venom cannon
    Trygon Prime (no upgrades)

Total: 2250pts

As far as tactics goes the 10 man Termagaunt squad is primarily for sitting on objectives, the Tervigon just sounds really fun + can make more objective sitters.

The Trygon will be deep striking, Warriors & Genestealers will probably be out flanking. Hopefully therefore all the important powerful units will survive long enough to get into combat.

The Winged Tyrant will be charging down somewhere, being fast enough to keep the hormagaunts in check regarding synapse and shielded by the brood of gargoyles, so hopefully enough my main army will hit the enemy line to make a significant dent, and prevent them being able to properly manoeuvre to deal with incoming reinforcements.

With the Hive Guard, Zoanthropes & heavy venom cannon I hope I have enough AT to prevent my army being utterly blown to crap by tanks before they actually get into combat, all I really need on a pie plate dropper is it being shaken for a turn.l

So yeah... that's about it... so, all thoughts are very greatly appreciated

Not bothered about like how critical you are off it, I want to hear any words of wisdom I can.

Last edited by Chaosmaster; June 21st, 2010 at 13:15. Reason: List Edit
    and on the 8th day god made a talking poodle and forgot all about us
    The rep button is good

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

err... still looking for replies... please?
    The rep button is good

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

The hormaguants are the biggest weakness in this plan. If the Trygon and Tyrant Deepstrike, you are very limited in your synapse on the board. There isn't much that can keep pace with them. Yes the Tervigon has dominion, but you really should get catalyst for him and FNP as much as you can.

Zoanthropes could do with a pod or else they will be easy to avoid and kill at range.

Not overly bad list, but not 100% suited to the type of army you want to run. It'll be very easy the enemy to pick stuff off if you keep all those units in reserve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Consider toxin sacs on gaunts, makes them chew MCs to bits. Also, a simple answer to the above problem is to not DS both your Tyrant and Trygon. Plus the hormies really arent that fast, not like tey were in the last codex, mmm leaping. If you had raveners it would be different. Also, the Warriors look ok, but not really scary. Maybe add a few points into stuff like Boneswords, Adrenal Glands etc to make them really hit hard. Or go the other way with some cheap devourers or something. Agree with the Zoans podding it.

I think the 4 x fexs are a bit meh, but thats just me not really liking fexs any more (I think they are overpriced). They are set up fine for what they are though. If you got rid of one you could grab a nice big squad (20 odd) of fully upgraded gargoyles to accompany the Flyrant as living yet dangerous cover saves.
    And now my bitter hands cradle broken glassOf what was everything... - Black by Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Thanks for the advice, I am thinking about not deep striking my hive tyrant, and just have him fly behind a large shield of gargoyles.

Also with toxin sacs on gaunts do you mean hormagaunts or termagaunts?

I am looking at getting a Pod lol but as far as I know there's no official model.

Fexes are too expensive tbh but I'm pretty sure 2/3 Trygons is against human rights, and I've always liked fexes.

giving the warriors boneswords and adrenal glands costs 50% more points, is that like really worth it for a unit that can't fleet or leap?
    The rep button is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Talking about the hormagaunts with toxin sacs aka toxigaunts. In regards to the warriors, they can still run, and when you have as many fast tarpit units like the hormagaunts as you do, they need something that will then hit the unit they have tied up (eg. MEQ units)hard, like warriors, especially if you dont give your hormagaunts toxin sacs. Also, if your going to do it, replace the rending with boneswords, not the scything talons. Cheaper and more effective. So warriors would be:

5 x Warriors, Scy Tals, Boneswords, Adrenal Glands (225)

And these guys will hit really hard. Especially good for killing other tyranid MCs like trygons/mawlocs/tervigons/tyrannofexs with 6 wounds that can be instagibbed and insufficient strength/initiative to instagib the warriors. Worth the extra 50% to me, but others may think differently.

Bias
    And now my bitter hands cradle broken glassOf what was everything... - Black by Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I've edited the list above consdiering what people have said, basically:

I've dropped one HVC fex, given the zoanthropes a pod, hive tyrant now charges shielded by a 12 strong unit of gargoyles with toxin sacs, the warriors are upgraded as you suggested, and I've made the hormagaunts into one large unit (22 gaunts) With toxin sacs.

Is that like roughly what you had in mind? It does look like it has more punch now, but I might be fighting Tau a lot so one Spore Mine could probably beat their entire army in assault simultaneously.
    The rep button is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Well, yeah, tau are something different. You probably need more bodies over hitting power. So changing the list up probably hasnt done you many favours there, especially in regards to the warriors. Better off vs pretty much anything else though .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

with what you have, it looks to me like you could make a pretty good setup for a partial deep strike/firebase styled army

but I think having 2 fex's walking up the board with 0 shooting power seems rather silly to me, and thats 320 points or so that could be spending getting your other fex set up and shipped out, this is what I think might help a bit, also the warriors have no shooting as well and are also still walking without a means for transport there not going to be able to lend a hand attacking wise untill CC. so I propose a few changes.

First off, drop the 2 non dakka walking fexes, take adrenal glands off the warriors there nice but not necessary with D.boneswords, take away 2 hormies, also remove the broodlord and add 1 vanilla genestealer. with

Now with extra points given i'd suggest getting a dakkarant, 2 TL brainleech dev, hive commander, put the remaining fex in a spore and give him 2 TL brainleech dev, use the rest of the points to boost your gargoyle brood up to 20, give your tervigon catalyst, Adrenal glands, toxin sacs. any remaining points i'd say throw them into more termies.

Now the list will look something like this,

HQ:
    [255]Flyrant, 2x scything talons, Hive Commander
    [235]Dakkarant, Heavy Venom Cannon, TL brainleech devourer, hive commander

Troops:
    [175] 5x warriors, 5x Rending claws, Devourer (outflank w/hive commander)
    [160] 20x Hormagaunts, Toxin sacs
    [112] 8x genstealer
    [195] Tervigon, Catalyst, Adrenal glands, Toxin sacs, Cluster spines
    [80] 16x termagant

Elites:
    [150] 3 Hive Guard
    [100] 2 Hive Guard
    [160] 2 Zoanthrope w/spore

Fast Attack:
    [160] 20x Gargoyles, Toxin sacs

Heavy Support:
    [230] Carnifex, 2x TL brainleech devourer, W/spore
    [240] Trygon Prime

total- 2252

now to explain, the reason I like this list is because, with 2 hive commanders if you play house rules were they do stack to the reserver roll bounus also you have the choice to outflank a troops choice per hive commander,and now you have a 2+ on turn 2 which means your trygon, carnifex, zoanthropes genestealers and in this case your warriors. have a very probable chance of all coming in turn 2, while theres a horde of fast gribblies followed by another MC,

With a very power shooting fire base following the screen of gants, with hormies, and constant spawning termies( until it craps out) in front of your big guns. Personally I find very, drop in suprise, or fast lists to be quite enjoyable myself, and I although believe this would be semi-competative, this list confronts your enemy with if your list comes in on time, very hectic turn 2 and 3 target priority issues, as well as good amount of bodies on turn 1 to play with

If you dont/wont be able to get the second tryant, you definatly dont want 5 things deepstriking or outflanking and the list should be tweaked a bit.

just some food for thought from my end, hope it helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

Just remember that with the proper rules Hive Commander does not stack with the outflank, no matter how many Tyrants have Hive commander only one unit per a turn can outflank. However, the +1 to the reserve rules does stack.
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

+ Reply to Thread