Which 2k list ulthwe/Iyanden - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which 2k list ulthwe/Iyanden

Hey guys! First off I completely understand the trend of the current metagame. I also understand that most of the supremely competition eldar are mechanized. I like to build more fluffy factual lists, however this does not mean i want to sacrifice spending hundreds of dollars to get rolled everygame. I have come down to two craftworlds based of fluff and am trying to mix fluff and effectiveness. I am trying to have a good mixture of mobility survivability and short/long ranged firepower. What list is better and why. What changes do you reccommend. Both are 2k lists.

Ulthwe based list
    -3 warwalkers scatterlaser, spirit stones
    -3 warwalkers scatterlasers, spirit stones
    -Wraithlord Bright lance, missile launcher
    -9 guardian jetbikes, with 3 shuriken cannons, walock with embolden
    -10 dire avengers exarch (with power weapon/shimmersheild/bladestorm) wave serpetn twin liked bright lance, spirit stones
    -10 storm guardians, walock embolden2 fusion guns, wave serpent twin linked bright lance spirit stones
    - Farseer spirit stones, guide, 10 warlocks(emboldenx1, enhancex1) wave serpent twin linked bright lance spirit stones

Iyanden based list
    -Wraith lord bright lance, eldar missile launcher
    -wraith lord bright lance, eldar missile launcer
    - wraith lord bright lance eldar missile launcher
    -6 guardian jetbikes 2 shuriken cannons
    - 10 wraithguard, warlock conceal
    - 10 dire avengers, exarch (power weapon, shimmersheild, bladestorm) wave serpent twin linked birhgt lance spirit stones
    - 3 vypers all armed with shuriken cannonx2 and spirit stones
    - farsser spirit stones, fortune, guide, 9 warlocks, emboledn x1, enhancex1 wave serpent twin linked shuriken cannons, shuriken cannon

There is some points left, or can be made, for ustomization. All criticism or remarks accepted gladly!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, first of I'm not going to give an opinion on which is better but I will give you some weaknesses and strengths. Firstly the Dire avengers Lose the power weapon and shimmershield and give 2 shuriken catapults for the exarch. You need to keep your dire avenger squads out of combat because they can unleash 32 shots if they bladestorm and if the exarch has 2 shuriken catapults. Secondly the warlock in the wraithguard squad needs to be upgraded to a spiritseer otherwise they will could be stood there doing nothing. Next apart the wraithlord the wave serpent and storm guardians you have hardly any tank busting weapons. I know thats 3 tank busting units but you will find that there will be some lucky las cannon shots and then your wraithlords are dead. Wraithlords are great weapon platforms but they attract a lot of fire. They have toughness and saves so are less durable then a tank e.g. Fire prism, nightspinner. So maybe add in fire prisms. I know that your trying to stick to the craftworlds but for effectiveness you wont go far without a fire prism. Finally where are the aspect warriors all i can see is Dire avengers. A squad of fire dragons or howling banshees in a wave seprent supported by a farseer would do nicely. If you daring you could go for harlequins or warp spiders. I do realise your sticking to craftworlds but these would make your army a lot stronger. Theres proberley some other things you can change but i hope this helps

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

This thread belongs in the army-list section
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Of the two lists I think the Ulthwe one has a bit more speed on it's close range units so I would give the edge there at the moment. Both lists could use alot of polishing to make them better.

Fist off the Ulthwe one.

Warwalker squads don't need the spiritstones the squadron rules will do the same thing until there is only 1 of them left. The wraithlord doesn't have a dedicated psyker that will stay near him to negate wraithsight, not crippling in most cases but something to look at if you change or add units. The jetbike squad is a bit large for my taste, 6 + the warlock works best for me, easier to hide and move but still packs a decent punch and enough bodies to be durable. make sure to get a spear on the warlock for extra ranged AT. DAs are generally taken with dual catapults, the shimmershield defend build can work ok but I find it a bit overcosted. Storms in a transport work well, it appears you a building for AT again so grab another spear here for a 3rd AT shot. If you find you are having trouble with hordes look at switching to the tri flamer build instead. Council is ok but the farseer doesn't have fortune which is what makes them so hard. Also grab a second embolden and enhance for redundancy it's no fun when you lose the warlock to a bad roll. The serpents are nice and not overly upgraded, perhaps changing to EMLs for lower cost could be looked at brightlances are nice but often times the EML is just as good for less cost.

If you have points I would put the guide seer on a bike with a spear to join the jetbike unit ( can be close to the walkers at the start of the game for guide fun and then guide themselves for better spear and cannon shooting ). And add in a fortuneseer, also make sure you have runes of warding on atleast one of the farseers for its cost it is great against other psykers. Sprinkle in a few spiritseer upgrades for the bike warlock and one of the council warlocks to give your wraithlord a bit large safe zone to walk around in.

Now the Iyanden

The wraithlords are fine, long ranged AT will help silence some of the bigger guns that will be aiming at the core of the list. Jetbikes could really use the embolden lock ld 8 is a big risk for these guys and the spear for added AT shooting is always nice. The wraithguard are solid as noted the warlock should have spiritseer not so they don't go stupid ( the warlock is in the squad so always close enough to stop that ) but to make them a troop unit so they can score. The DAs should either go to dual cats for max shooting or grab defend as well to make them a better tarpit unit and use them to intercept enemies trying to tie up the guard in melee. Vypers shouldn't be given spiritstones, if they are together the squad rules will protect them and more importantly the vyper is to fragile to warrant increasing its cost with something it more often then not never get to use. Look at going with an EML and the cannon or just the EML to give you some more ranged punch against vehicles. The council is decent once again double up on the enhance and embolden. I'm not 100% sold on guide unless you plan to guide the vypers, most of the list is BS4 so it's effect isn't as dramatic as on the walkers in the Ulthwe one. The waveserpents are again decent, perhaps drop the nose cannon on the councils transport, it will often be moving very fast to get the council to the enemy so will loose out on shooting for a few rounds.

I feel this list needs another fortune for the wraithguard, I find them to much of an investment not to give them the extra layer of protection that it provides. I also think you could use a unit to dig them out of combat against terminators or similiar types of hard melee units. Dropping the council for harlies or banshees could do this well.

Thats my quick take on the lists, neither is extremely bad but with a few changes can be made better. Note I did this more from a normal game perspective. I think both will be a bit weak compared to win at all costs tournament armies.

@skullhead123 Wraithlords are more reliable than a tank, tanks can die to the very first shot to hit them and can be stunned, shaken, weapon destroyed which reduces their output. The Lord on the other hand must be hit a minium of 3 times and with T8 even anti tank guns are not guaranted to wound. I like tanks for the speed, but if you look at the durability of the unit the lords are not far off and will keep contributing to your firepower unit they are dropped unlike a tank that is taking fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skullhead123 View Post
    Secondly the warlock in the wraithguard squad needs to be upgraded to a spiritseer otherwise they will could be stood there doing nothing.
    wrong, if you read wraithsight again you will see that they don't have to roll if within 6" of friendly psyker. spiritseer only enhance the ability.
    but your right in that he needs a spiritseer but for the lords sake

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Sorry these lists wont be effective at all. If you want to choose one of the big 4 craftworlds, choose beil tan or whatever. But then put everything in serpents. Have fun.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

+ Reply to Thread