<2000 Piratical Wych Cult - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piratical Wych Cult

Haven't played for quite a few years now...so I may be a little out of touch. Bear with me...

Wych Archite - 165
    - Punisher
    - Combat Drugs
    - Tormentor Helm
    - Trophy Rack
    - Shadow Field
    - Animus Vitae

Wych Lord Retinue (9) - 216
    - Wych Weapons
    - Plasma Grenades
    - Raider
    - - Slave Snares
    - - Scythes
    - - Trophy Rack

Wych Squad 1 (10) - 248
    - Succubus
    - - Agoniser
    - Wych Weapons
    - Plasma Grenades
    - Raider
    - - Slave Snares
    - - Scythes

Wych Squad 2 (10) - 248
    - Succubus
    - - Agoniser
    - Wych Weapons
    - Plasma Grenades
    - Raider
    - - Slave Snares
    - - Scythes

Wych Squad 3 (10) - 248
    - Succubus
    - - Agoniser
    - Wych Weapons
    - Plasma Grenades
    - Raider
    - - Slave Snares
    - - Scythes

Wych Squad 4 (10) - 248
    - Succubus
    - - Agoniser
    - Wych Weapons
    - Plasma Grenades
    - Raider
    - - Slave Snares
    - - Scythes

Reaver Jetbike Squad 1 (5) - 156
    - Succubus
    - - Terrorfex

Reaver Jetbike Squad 2 (5) - 156
    - Succubus
    - - Terrorfex

Ravager 1 - 105

Ravager 2 - 105

Ravager 3 - 105

TOTAL: 2000

Note that this is supposed to be a themed army, using nothing but Wych Cultists and airborne troops. As such, the only thing not on the list already that I would consider adding are hellions.

Criticism welcome (and actively encouraged).

Last edited by Stryder; July 25th, 2010 at 17:12. Reason: Stupid smilies...

OBSTACLES ARE THE THINGS YOU SEE WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR GOAL

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest cutting a wych from each group to spread blasters all around. Tank killing, power armor killing, still keeps wych theme.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Welcome to the forum!

I will give you some ideas for your list - just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    Wych Archite – Punisher - Combat Drugs - Tormentor Helm - Trophy Rack - Shadow Field - Animus Vitae
    I would only add plasma grenades – probably the 3rd most “must have” item, you do not want to be initiative “1” when charging into or through cover now do we?

Wych Lord Retinue (9) - Wych Weapons - Plasma Grenades
    The retinue is kind of large and with an Archite the squad is rather powerful so most DE players would cut this down to a 6 or 7. Of course this is only done if you include a succubus into the squad – she would be armed with an agoniser.

I would also include 2 blasters as this would give them some flexibility in popping armor, transports and dreadnaughts – I am not say they should be hunting armor but later in the game the flexibility to pop that pesky rhino or wave serpent without having to assault it would be nice.

Raider - Slave Snares - Scythes- Trophy Rack
    This a little too much for a transport like ours – I would drop all of these and just take a horrorfex for every raider. Some do use slave snares but I haven’t seen Scythes used at all and the only time I have seen Trophy Racks taken on a raider are in lists that focus on pinning (yours is not one of them). Granted I suggested taking horrorfex’s but that too is not a situation I would take a trophy rack – I just do not believe the point cost is worth the benefit.

Wych Squad 1 (10) – Succubus – Agoniser - Wych Weapons - Plasma Grenades
    Same as the retinue, I think they can be cut back to 6 or 8 and again I like the 2 blasters in each squad. Blaster are cheap so if you find yourself fleeting a lot you are not losing too many points there and sure you are losing an extra attack in close combat but are trading the attack to being able to kill something in the shooting phase instead (it’s easier for a wych to kill a marine with a blaster than it is with a hand slap).

Now lets’ discuss the whole idea of a retinue – for the wych cult, the retinue is just another troop choice that cannot score. You could easily drop the retinue and make them a regular scoring unit (I prefer taking advantage of being able to sport more troop choices than my opponent so 5 is the minimum I would have at 2k but I normally run 6 troop choices).

As for the Archite – she really does not need a retinue, she is a one man (or woman) wrecking ball that can fend for herself. The only time I would say a retinue is needed is when you choose to use Lelith but an Archite can start on any raider you like and can act like a guided missile if you need her to be. I prefer this kind of freedom as sometimes I need her to move, fleet and 12” charge a target where you might not be able to do that with a retinue (unless the retinue has the 12” charge rule). In my last game using an Archite she started off with a wych squad but later ran off by herself to engage other scoring units. By herself she took down 2 squads of marines, a chaplain and a sang priest while high on the animus vitae – she really does not need a retinue, trust me.

Raider - Slave Snares - Scythes
    Drop those for a horrorfex

Reaver Jetbike Squad 1 (5) - Succubus - Terrorfex
    I would drop the terrorfex for a punisher and tormentor helm. This takes advantage of the strength bonus of the bike and the succubus is now a base of strength 5. I would also give this model plasma grenade as well as the goblet of spite.

Understand this is a fragile unit and I normally play them this way at a minimum of 6 with a lord on a bike to help as well. Since you have 2 squads of them you might get something out of them but remember they tend to attract a lot of attention and will be shot at starting on the first turn so be sure to use cover or be turbo-charging when you are not assaulting.

I would also like to have you add 2 blasters to this group as they are not as strong as you think in close combat and would desperately need production of the blasters to soften the target before the charge. I know I keep saying they are weak in close combat but have to consider that the squad is small, they have only 1 attack and a 4+ armor save isn’t as good as it sounds so be careful who you charge these bikes.

Ravager 1, 2, 3
    I do not have a problem with this but I think one or the ravagers should have 3 disintegrators. Most people would normally have 2 ravagers like this but Wych Cult is a close combat army and the disintegrators compete for the same targets as the wyches. So I may be the only one who likes 2 or more ravagers with 3 lances (as I have terrible luck with lances and if I do not crack open enemy transports on the opening turns then my wyches will not have anything to charge).

Where I do find the 3 dissy ravager’s role is in hitting gunline squads (like devastators, long fangs or broadside units) that are usually too far away to get a wych squad to. Yes, there are things out there I would rather not charge with my wyches so this is where I find a 3 dissy rav has a role.

the only thing not on the list already that I would consider adding are hellions.
    I will not pretend I know anything about using Hellions as I am a strong believer of only making a recommendation on what you tried – I never tried them so all I can do is guess (as do 95% of the forum).

So with that disclaimer – they “look” as if they are not worth their points as they offer very little as compared to the other choices you can take. They extremely cool looking and you might have a good game with them but just looking at their gear, stats and rules they seem too fragile and too expensive
    For what they do.

Now with all the changes I have suggested you might find you have enough points for another squad of something. I would prefer you get another scoring unit or taking a 2nd lord but that’s purely optional.

Hope that gives you some ideas, try out your list and see how you like it – good luck and happy hunting!
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice. It'll take me a while to think things through, though.

OBSTACLES ARE THE THINGS YOU SEE WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR GOAL

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Welcome Stryder,

I mostly agree with KwiKwag's comments.

I would only add this: I believe the Night Shields to be one of the nicest upgrades available for our skimmers.
    As I witness a lot, wyches die in a heartbeat once they are out their raider and not in Close Combat. So anything that helps keeping them alive is worth it's points in loot (gold).
    I helps very much against rapid fire weapons: keep 19" distance and you will be able to charge them next turn if they decide to shoot you but don't pop you (since only 1 shot a gun...), as we can charge 20" without fleet move...

Personally I only tried the Horrorfex once and was a little dissapointed in it: you need to come in 18" range, if it misses it leaves you open to a lot of counter fire: marines move 6" and rapid fire 12"...
    On the other hand if they are pinned, you will be the one with the large smile on your face...
    So I'm still undecided on those fexes.

Just my 2cnts

+ Reply to Thread