<2000 First Attempt 1500 - "Good" Will Hunting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

First Attempt 1500 - "Good" Will Hunting

Hey

Have been having a look through the Tau Empire codex, and I have to say that it is radically different to the other armies that I play. So please bear with me if the list is unbalanced and out of proportion, as I am yet to fully grasp the principles that make a Tau army, and this list is sort of based around how I would fashion the other lists that I would make.

Therefore, I appreciate any feedback and critique that you are willing to provide me. And if you must, some criticism too. Thanks in advance.

HQ
    Shas'o 123
    Twin-Linked Missile Pod
    Plasma Rifle
    Hard-wired Multi-Tracker
    Bonding Knife
    Hard-wired Target Lock

RETINUE
    XV8 Crisis Battlesuits ( x2 ) 180
    Targeting Array ( x2 )
    Plasma Rifle ( x2 )
    Hard-wired Drone Controller ( x2 )
    Gun Drone ( x2 )
    Marker Drone

TROOPS
    Fire Warrior ( x 9 ) 235
    Photon Grenades ( x9 )
    Shas'ui
    Markerlight
    Bonding Knife
    Hard-wired Drone Controller
    Gun Drone

Devilfish (Dedicated Transport)
    Targeting Array
    Dirsuption Pods

Fire Warrior ( x9 ) 235
    Photon Grenades ( x9 )
    Shas'ui
    Markerlight
    Bonding Knife
    Hard-wired Drone Controller
    Gun Drone

Devilfish (Dedicated Transport)
    Targeting Array
    Disruption Pods

HEAVY SUPPORT
    XV88 Broadside Battlesuits ( x3 ) 240
    Rail Gun
    Smart Missile System
    Targeting Array ( x3 )

Hammerhead 135
    Ion Cannon
    Smart Missile System
    Target Lock
    Disruption Pods

Hammerhead 135
    Ion Cannon
    Smart Missile System
    Target Lock
    Disruption Pods

TOTAL: 1500

Please tell me what you think, but please refrain from the overuse of technical Tau related jargon, as I am still coming to terms with the army. If you must, then could you please explain yourself meticulously. Cheers.

Good Hunting.

Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

~ Broadsides - drop targeting array, swap for A.S.S. on each. For dawn of war missions or any that force you to walk on from table edge you want these to be able to move and still shoot, not become a fire base that has to wait to shoot.

~ Ion cannons are OK, depending on the meta you're up against, if it's not so mechanised than it's fine, but otherwise it's much recommended that you take railguns as once your broadsides are down (or let's imagine it's a DoW mission and you have to walk on as is) you have no real anti-tank. If you do switch to rail, swap out the SMS for burst cannons, and the target lock isn't really needed so much, it's more of a necessity but more or less your HH should not be near the 18" range enough to make use of the secondary system.

~ Devilfishes - drop targeting array in favor of multi-tracker. Limiting yourself to a 6" movement just so you can get a BS4 burst cannon is not as sensible as being able to move 12" and still shoot. In either situation the gun isn't as big of a deal, but don't push yourself to be less immobile. If you're moving only 6" to shoot, with an 18" range gun, more than likely whatever you're shooting is not going to die from the burst, will charge your tank, and instead of needing a 6+ to hit, only needs a 4+ in combat.

~ Gun drones are a waste to buy as an upgrade, if you really want them you'll get them from the D-fishes as they come with 2. Same with the markerlights in the Fire Warrior squads, it's an overpriced way of getting them. What's more recommended is add some pathfinders to the list for the markerlight support, it's the cheapest and more realiable way of getting them in there. Than just "borrow" the pathfinder's D-fish for the fire warriors, and the outcome will be the same with them in the tank, plus you've saved points.

~ Photon grenades are more or less useless, you don't want to be using these.

~ The most useful (in majority opinion) all around battlesuit configuration is the Fireknife build. Plasma Rifle, missile pod, and multi-tracker. With support of the markerlights you'll have the up'd BS, plus you can move and shoot both weapons at maximum range instead of limiting yourself to only a plasma rifle. The drones attached are useless.

~ For the HQ, stick with a Shas'el and save those points, give him same setup as his guard, PR, MP, and MT.

~ I don't have my codex nor a calculator on me at the moment but I do know overall that if you do accept to make those changes you'll free up quite a bit of points, with that in mind I'd add Kroot as the screen is a major defense for the Tau, without it any assault squads can basically charge right into your backline and will eat you up easy.

Give me your thoughts back and we'll go from there.
    5th E Sand(Grey) Knights: 11-3 (retired) 5th E Eldar: 37-4 (retired) 5th E Wolves 5-0

+ Reply to Thread