<2000 1500 Spearhead - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1500 Spearhead

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    149 (x3)

1500 Spearhead

Our store is having a 1500pt Spearhead tourney this week. They do know that 1500 is a little small for spearhead, but they want the games to go fast.
    So here's what I'm thinking of bringing.

HQ
    Farseer-Spear, Spirit Stones, Fortune, Guide

Warlock with Shining Spears x3, 1=Spiritseer, 1=Enhance
    Wave Serpent-Spirit Stones, EML

Mechanized Assault Spearhead
    Fire Dragons x6

Fire Dragons x6

Ambush Spearhead
    Wraithlord - WraithSword, EML
    Wraithlord - WraithSword, EML

Tank Hunter Spearhead
    War Walkers x3 - Bright Lance, EML

1500 pts exactly

Here's what the spearhead formations do (the formations .pdf are free on GW's site: Spearhead: Formations (Rules Download) | Games Workshop )

Mechanized Assault +60pts: Place unit in reserves. Formation automatically outflanks in turn 1 (still roll for which table edge the come onto).

Ambush Spearhead +75pts: Units gain the infiltrate and Stealth special rule

Tank Hunters Spearhead +60pts: Units gain the Tank Hunters special rule

The force organization chart for Spearhead is very different and has no minimum requirement. Also any spearhead formation and any vehicle counts as a scoring unit.

So here's my plan with that list.
    Infiltrate Wraithlords (hopefully within 12" of Spiritseer Wave Serpent) with the intent of assaulting asap.
    The farseer hangs back with the War Walkers to guide their shots and fortune cover saves.
    The Fire Dragons kill 1-2 vehicles in turn 1. They can move 12", disembark 2" and melta short range is 6". So any unit within 20" of the table edge can be 'hopefully' wiped out turn 1.

I should have a devastating first turn and by turn 2 my Wraithlords should be able to assault something. The Warlocks can always disembark, then 'shoot' their singing spears at vehicles and assault them if necessary. They will work in tandem with the Wraithlords.

This list is a tank killer! I may have some trouble with Tyranids, but the Wraithlords have dual flamers and 8 EML plasma missiles is nothing to shake a claw at.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

149 (x3)

So I still really like the above list. Our tourny was agreed to be 'no super-heavies' as only myself and our IG player have them. I had already planned on being late due to work and they were to fit me in a later round. I was then told that the IG player brought a Shadowsword (the no super heavy was not posted, just generally agreed upon). So my new mission...crush the IG player!!
    Reluctantly I brought a Scorpion, to face his shadowsword. Part of me would've preferred to beat him without a super-heavy...but I rarely get a chance to use it!

Here's what I brought (figuring he had the guys that give him +1 reserve roll and -1 to opponents reserve roll)

Mechanized Assault Spearhead
    Prince Yriel (first time I've ever used him-would've preferred a 2nd reg Autarch, but don't have a model)
    Fire Dragons x6

Autarch - Mandiblasters-power sword-Fusion Gun
    Fire Dragons x6

Super-Heavy Spearhead
    Scorpion Tank - EML

Heavy Support
    3x WarWalkers w/dual EML

Kind of a hack list, I felt I needed 2 Autarchs to ensure my Scorpion arrived on time.
    However, our deployment was Escalation and you MUST deploy one Spearhead or 3 non-spearheads. Since the Mechanized Assualt arrives on turn 1, I was forced to deploy my Scorpion. My holo-field saved me from the initial hit.

I pretty much hid behind terrain and denied any shots from his Shadowsword (it only got one shot off in turn 5). He deepstriked stormtroopers with meltaguns but they didn't last long.

In the end, I held the Vital Objective, he held all 3 minor objectives. I destroyed 5 of his units and he only killed one of my War Walkers. A thorough win.
    My Scorpion didn't inflict much damage as it was stunned most of the game. It did however soak up a lot of fire! Losing 2 structure points. Had he focused more on my main army and less on the Scorpion, it would've been a much closer game.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

149 (x3)

I double checked with Forgeworld regarding the Scorpion's Eldar Titan Holo-Field and indeed it would NOT provide a save against any hits on turn 1 as it has to have moved in the previous turn.

Also, had I known that his Basilisk was open topped, it would've suffered a weapon destroyed result in turn 1. It was the Basilisk that inflicted most of my Weapon crew stunned and driver stunned results. He 'conveniently' forgot that they were open topped. He also thought his Vendetta had 3 fire points and that his empty Stormtrooper Chimera could outflank.
    See why the other players wanted me to give him a good stomping?

+ Reply to Thread