Starting Necrons at 1000 points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Necrons at 1000 points

So I'm starting out with Necrons aiming for a basic 1000 point army so that I can worry about building up later. I already have the Necron Battlefoce, but I'm still planning out the rest of my army. As I see it, I have some units I know I'm likely going to need, and then about two options from there.

Essentials:
    Necron Lord (w/Destroyer body & Res Orb) - 170 pts
    2x Destroyer Squadrons (3 ea.) - 300 pts
    2x Necron Warriors (10 ea.) - 360 pts.
    =830 pts. Phase Out at 6/27

From there, I see two options:
    Option A:
    + Immortals (6 ) - 168 pts
    =998 pts, Phase Out at 8/33

Option B:
    + Destroyer Squadron (3) - 150 pts.
    + Phylactery - 15 pts.
    + And Disruption Field for Destroyer Lord, just for the heck of it. - 5 pts.
    = 1000 pts. Phase Out at 7/30

I'm leaning heavily towards Option B, but I'd really like to get a second opinion on this before I start picking up any more models. It seems to me the extra mobility and firepower of the Destroyers would more than make up for the marginally lower Phase Out number, especially since I'd already have other Destroyers out on the table.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't mean to start two threads, I tried editing, and at some point it didn't seem to want to load, so I tried refreshing. What I meant to add:

"EDIT:
    Actually, I just realized there's an Option C.
    Essentials -830 pts.
    + Necron Warriors ( 8 ) - 144
    + Phylactery & Disruption Field - 20 pts.
    =994 pts. Phase Out at 8/35

Theoretically, this would work if I just split up the extra 8 between the two existing squads, as I already have the Necron Battleforce set; but the only catch is I kind of lost one of the guns when I was painting my Warriors.

...BUT, I could always just pick up some bits off ebay, right? I mean, Option B sounds great to me, it's just the price tag. I already have most of C. I think I'll pick up a second squadron of Destroyers, some bits for that one warrior, and then eventually work my way around to upgrading to a third squadron of Destroyers. You can see why I'd really appreciate a second opinion."
    Last edited by Dibs; August 16th, 2010 at 10:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to LO Dibs,

First off, could we move this the army thread please?

Anyways, I'm not a fan of immortals at 1000pts, 6 of them is just not enough IMHO. A personal preference of mine is the essentials + ResOrb, place them in a phalanx formation and take 2 squads of 5 destroyers. Destroyers are unbelievably good at 1000pts, where you'll be pumping out 30 S6 shots a turn and providing the necron warmachine with much needed mobility. If you can't manage 10 destroyer models, then I recommend going for at least 8, 4 a squad is a pretty good number too, leaving points to take a little something else (A tomb spyder can be good)

Be sure to visit the Arts of the Red Harvest threads for good insight
    Necrons W68-D13-L10 (3rd edition codex)
    Necrons W3-D1-L1 (latest codex)
    Skaven still being assembled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

I fully agree with the_pariah7 on this one, Destroyers are better than Immortals, especially at 1000 points. Personally, I'd only consider taking Immortals after already filling up on Destroyers, taking at least one more squad of Warriors and taking at least one Monolith (though I do usually run 2 of these at higher points games). My problem with Immortals is that, although they're a bit tougher and have a slightly better gun, they're just Warriors that can't take objectives. They don't have added mobility or some sort of crazy powers, they foot slog like the rest of the army, and have all of the same stats (minus the extra toughness) as a Warrior but for more points.
    World Eaters: W-47 D-10 L-9
    Necrons: W-19 D-3 L-2
    Protectorate of Menoth: W-36 D-0 L-7

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

I'm just starting out too and the Immortals choice, isn't working. It's bad. (see Comic Man Says "Worst Necron Loss Ever" thread) I started with 2 squads of 10 warriors w/ disruption fields, 7 Immortals w/ disruption fields, 1 Lord with res orb, Phylactry, Phase Shifter and 3 Destroyers. Bad news for me in every fight I've fought. Alot of people are telling me that more destroyers are better. It's best to read the above thread for the 1000 point choices people were kind enough to give me. There is certainly a ton of opinions!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by the_pariah7 View Post
    Welcome to LO Dibs,

First off, could we move this the army thread please?
    Done.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

+ Reply to Thread