<2000 Semi-Competitive Mech List - 2000 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Semi-Competitive Mech List - 2000

Well, this is what I've come up with to finally get my FW Nightspinner on the table. Thinking of using it for an upcoming tournament as a take-all-comers tournament list. I never keep up with what others arouned here play, so i have to expect to be suprised.

Eldar Roster - 2000

HQ:

Farseer - Doom; Fortune; Runes of Warding; Spirit Stones; Eldar Jetbike; Singing Spear - 178 pts

Warlock Unit- 270 pts
    - Warlock - Enhance; Eldar Jetbike
    - Warlock - Embolden; Eldar Jetbike
    - Warlock - Embolden; Eldar Jetbike
    - Warlock - Destructor; Eldar Jetbike
    - Warlock - Destructor; Eldar Jetbike

Elite:

Fire Dragons - 207 pts
    - 4 Fire Dragons
    - Fire Dragon Exarch - Crack Shot
    - Wave Serpent - Spirit Stones; TL Shuriken Cannons

Fire Dragons - 207 pts
    - 4 Fire Dragons
    - Fire Dragon Exarch - Crack Shot
    - Wave Serpent - Spirit Stones; TL Shuriken Cannons

Troops:

Dire Avengers - 263 pts
    - 7 Dire Avengers
    - Dire Avenger Exarch - Bladestorm; 2 Avenger SC
    - Wave Serpent - Spirit Stones; Shuriken Cannon; TL Scatter Lasers

Dire Avengers - 263 pts
    - 7 Dire Avengers
    - Dire Avenger Exarch - Bladestorm; 2 Avenger SC

Storm Guardians - 262 pts
    - 10 Storm Guardians- Flamer x2
    - Warlock - Destructor

Heavy Support:

Fire Prism - 115 pts

Fire Prism - 115 pts

Night Spinner - 115 pts

Total Roster Cost: 1995

I can't figure where to use the last 5 points yet. Not sure it could fit anywhere.

It's pretty much a three-four part army. The Dragons move up to bring down the big, bad units I don't need near my troops, or on a good day, stall/trap a tank column. The DA's and SG's stay in their Serpents who can provide mid-range support fire to the Dragons. The Fire Prisms and Night Spinner sit in the back, to either soft the enemy defences or slow the enemy advance. The Council can provide a good flank assault unit or point-defense/counter assault unit. Also excellent for bringing down non-SS/TH transports or tanks.

Not sure if I need to run full reserve or not, but I think I could live without if there isn't too much enemy artillery or DS units. With the Council being the only non-mech unit, they would have to be reserved or hid during the initial enemy shooting phases.

Should the initial turns prove fruitful, I could escalate my assault by moving up my SG and DA squads to deploy and further increase press my advantage. I know that "advantage" I speak of is rare for us now, but better to plan for success as well as defeat. I can provide cover with the FD Serpents and use my troops to crush an enemy flank, or possibly drive a wedge into an advancing force, getting my Council into the soft, tender areas of their army.

If, more likely, my offensive is blunted, I can feint the continued attack, hoping to draw my oppnents forces in. If this works, then I run flat-out with my troops to secure objectives. FD Serpents and even my HS units can provide cover while my Council can slow down any heavy hitters trying to dislodge my units.

Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated and rep'ed

Arvan'drynn Craftworld - 15,000pts (deceased)
    Tau - 2,000 points (atomized while on patrol)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Id say that its a pretty good list. You tend to see a lot of 'balanced' lists made of same basic units. (Farseer, Multiple Fire Dragon units, Dire avengers and Fire Prisms. and lots of Wave Serpents to put them in.)
    I made a Campaign list with the advice of the guys in the forums and ended up with the same thing. :p I made a few tweaks to it after trying the list out but largely it remained unaffected, check it out if you want I posted my tweaked list in the forum. Its titled Army List to Fight Tyranids and Space Wolves. 3000 points. You'll see what I mean about the similarities. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the only way to build a 'balanced' list for the eldar is to depend on several units and just take multiples of them.

Only thing I can really suggest for that 5 points is to upgrade one of your embolden Warlocks to a destructor warlock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Macleod

And your observations about sameness of units is correct. I believe the reasons behind it, though, are our lack of useful options in the various areas of the force org chart. And with lack of LOS blocking these days, our troops have to be in transports to avoid getting shot to pieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

We have an old codex. It's as simple as that. Eldar were hit pretty hard by the transition to 5th edition, and now there there are several codexes designed specifically for 5th edition, it only gets harder for us, hence the short list of usable units. Your list is actually pretty much exactly what I use, except I don't take fire dragon exarchs, and instead of the jetbike council I take Banshees with a doom/fortuneseer in a wave serpent. I'd recommend losing the dragon exarchs and trying to up your DA squads to full strength, if only to take full advantage of bladestorm. Though I can understand wanting crack shot. It's too bad that only applies to the exarch and his squad, or I would always take it.
    The enemy's gate is down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Der_Kaiser View Post
    We have an old codex. It's as simple as that. Eldar were hit pretty hard by the transition to 5th edition, and now there there are several codexes designed specifically for 5th edition, it only gets harder for us, hence the short list of usable units. Your list is actually pretty much exactly what I use, except I don't take fire dragon exarchs, and instead of the jetbike council I take Banshees with a doom/fortuneseer in a wave serpent. I'd recommend losing the dragon exarchs and trying to up your DA squads to full strength, if only to take full advantage of bladestorm. Though I can understand wanting crack shot. It's too bad that only applies to the exarch and his squad, or I would always take it.
    I think the conversion to 5th was what hit us the worst. The lack of "rolling the lines" with assault units, inability for our tanks to move, fire all weapons, and still get defensive bonus with our tanks, and the proliferation of "everything gives a 4+ cover save". Can't wait for a new codex. Heck, I'd almost take the old Craftworld Codex if given the option. At least the armies were fluffier. Some a tad broken... but I'm not gonna go tit-for-tat.

As for the list, I figure the Crack Shot I look at it this way. An FD Exarch is almost guaranteed to hit and wound, yet a 4+ cover save (which the enemy will manage to get somehow) is all the enemy needs to avoid the shot. 5pts to take that away is worth it.

In the case of the DA's, I'm looking at using them in tandem. I figure the SG's can remove a squad from an objective on their own if needed, while the DA's probably need to cooperate to do the same thing. Thinking of swapping out a DA squad for another SG squad though. If I could get away with it, I'd probably go with just three SG squads, but I only own 20 of the buggers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

Heh, glad you saw through my typo and realized that i meant to type "the exarch and not his squad."

Sadly, a new dex is a long way off. GW still has space marines to update. But luckly for us the way codex creep is going, by the time we get a new dex, mind war will just read "pick a target. It dies."

If you find the exarch works for you, by all means take him. I usually just prefer to keep my dragon squads as cheap as I can. They tend to have unhealthy numbers of bullets directed at them :/

But yeah, overall I really like your list. I've been debating between the Night Spinner and a 3rd prism myself, but I can't seem to make up my mind. I'll probably end up going with the spinner though, just cause it's neat.
    Last edited by Der_Kaiser; September 25th, 2010 at 04:06.
    The enemy's gate is down

+ Reply to Thread