<1000 2000 pt first competative - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 pt first competative

Hello everyone. This will be my first post other than the reply i gave Seriph on his 750 list. Anyway, i have only been playing 40k for almost 2yrs now, I have only played in one tournament and it was a team tourny. I have one friend that i play the most often and he has a really nasty tyranid army and 15yrs experience under his belt. Needless to say, i don't win very many games. I have built list after list and i believe that this one might just best my buddy. I didn't build it just for the nids either, given it might be a good list for them, but i want it to be an all comers list. So any suggestions or insight is Welcome.

Shas'o- 135
    AFP
    CIB
    Shield gen
    MT

2 Crisis teams (3) with leaders- 428
    PR's
    BC's
    MT's
    2 shield drones each

Stealth team (6)- 185
    6 TA's
    2 Fusion's

2 Fire warrior teams (10)- 250
    Shield drone each
    2 Devilfish- 250
    MT's
    FD's
    DP's
    SMS

2 Pirahnas- 160
    TA's
    FD's
    2 Fusion

3 hammerheads- 525
    Railguns
    BC's
    MT's
    FD's
    DP's

This is it folks. The general idea is to create a super armored fire base with all the vehicles (hammerheads and devilfish), the pirahnas will lunge forward and try and take out the pesky one model units like IC's or MC's and kinda play speed bump for the fire base.

The Shas'o will also be in with the fire base just adding another pie plate and helping out with the pesky light infantry that are getting to close.

I was kinda thinking i would deep strike the Crisis teams and stealth team. If i could get them on the enemies back line I could take out some heavy support or HQ squads.

Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ: Most people dont mess with the Shas'O upgrade because it's just not very cost effective, If anything get a TA and some shield drones if need be to get rid of that costly generator. While most of the time I don't even look at the CIB, against nids however, might be a good application so I guess keep it.

ELITE: Don't bother with stealth suits past low points games, You need as many crisis suits as you can muster, as far as their load-out utilize a standard 3-man Fireknife squad, and a Deathrain (flamer setup) squad, the last ELITE slot I would advise either a Flamer squad or add another Fireknife or Deathrain squad. As far as making them leader's, I wouldn't bother if your just adding drones.

TROOP: In a 2k point game you absolutely need a minimum of 2 kroot squads either the standard 10xKroot 70pt squad or the 10xKroot+5xHound 100pt squad. For your Fire Warrior's I'd take at least 2 squads of 6x FW; no upgrades. this should run about 260-320pts, far cheaper than what you have and more than likely alot more effective.

FAST: In addition to your Piranha's I would take 2 squads of 5x Pathfinder's each, hide your FW in their Devil fish, attach at minimum DP's to both of them, and at max FD's. This should run 290-310pts

HEAVY: Not bad but maybe get rid of the FD's on your hammerheads, the enemy should never be allowed to break past your entire army and get to your back ranks (where these should be at). Maybe get rid of 1 HH and get a squad of broadsides in there to allow you to eliminate vehicles and monstrous creatures with greater ease.

ASSESSMENT: Never Deep strike, utilize the standard tau corner castle (see stickies in main tau forum). Just remember we are not fast, we are not strong, we out-gun and out-shoot other army's, so capitalize on this by slowly advancing in seizing ground missions, Turtle up in Capture and Control missions, and focus fire in annihilation missions.

SUMMERY: First and foremost make sure you like the changes I/we suggest or go with the list you have, just make sure first and foremost that you're having fun. Now with that said what you have posted seems like a lot of wasted points on unneeded gear and upgrades. You need to maximize your firepower first and foremost then if able add to defense, your kroot should provide all the defense you need (cover saves and army buffer). As always these are tips and suggestions and hopefully they will help you in your quest to fight and win in the name of and for the greater good...

Hope this helps.
    http://www.videogamevoters.org/
    Support you right to play video games, its for the greater good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much for the suggestions, they are more helpful then you know. I thought all of what you said is very sound advice, except i hate pathfinders, I hate mark lights period. Other than that i can tell i still have some revamping to do on my list. Still a couple days before i go have my 40k day out, So if anyone else wants to add anything, please do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

1. dont take CIB, on the off chance you get a 6 you'll still only get one
    2. swap BCs for MPs
    3. WOW, talk about a point sink, get rid of those targetting arays
    4. get some kroot in there
    5. swap a hammerhead with a squad of broadsides with 2 shield drones
    6. i personally am not a fan of pirahnas but if they work for you then by all means

i would infiltrate the stealths, the max range you need is 18' so just move 1-3' shoot, then jump back. also, why you hate the MLs?

@seriph, FDs are a good choice, the enemy is going to break through your lines at some point its just going to happen. they are mostly a hoard deterent, ask yourself if you were an ork or nid player, would you charge your 15 man rk mob or 30 man gaunt unit or even that 15 man genestealer unit into something that can wound you automatically on 4s? no, and that way you'd have to rely on shooting to take it down (or monsters in nids case). even if you did charge, say that 30 man gaunt unit into me, well 15 wounds, and your saving 2-3, and you'll now need 4s or 6s to hit. they work very well for only 10pts.
    Last edited by Blasterdude3; October 4th, 2010 at 00:48.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks BlasterDude for all the advice. like i said, i haven't been playing long and any suggestions will help.

AAAh, the CIB, this gun is a personal favorite of mine as is the AFP and they have done quite well for me more often than not. So i'm not sure i'm ready to part with it just yet, but i promise i'll think about it?

The BC's are gone, I think you guys talked me into going with the Fireknifes. I origanally went with BC's because I'm trying to squeeze as much volume of fire out of this list as possible. But after your guys advice I agree that the Fireknifes would be more ideal for Their purpose.

TA's. Did you mean on the Stealth team. If so the reason i did this was because these guys normaly don't live that long, so i wanted to make sure they did something before they bit the dust. But now that i think about it, thats probably the best reason not to sink the points into them. Thank you for that.

Ok. Are you guys ready for this, i have a confession to make.... I don't have any Kroot! There i said it now let the heaking begin.

I love broadsides. I love'em. Sadly though they don't fit the High volume of fire or good mobility tactic i have going.

I actually just got my first 2 pirahnas, so this will be my first time useing them, i've studied some tactics on them and I think they will do well for this list. We shall see.

Marklights... It would seem to me that MY ML's anyway always perform below average. One list i built had 20 ML's in it, I never hit with more than three of them the Whole game. On top of that, they're the most out dated rule in the tau codex. Phooey on the ML's.

I Love FD's... Nuf said.

Thanks again guys

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really no kroot...

*hmmm..... well I would HIGHLY suggest getting some (or converting some Fire Warriors or drones or something).

*The stealth team in my personal opinion is a waste of points for such an easily killed team with poor equipment and gear options. If your hell bent on a suicide team take a team of 3 XV8 w/TLF, BC; and deep strike them. They only cost as much as your TA equipped stealth's(only 39pts), have an additional wound(2), and anti infantry weaponry.

*WOW you have some real hate for one of the tau's greatest weapons. I do however find it funny that you hate these yet dont mind the CIB's horrific str.
    I would suggest reading the stickies on markerlight usage, also if your rolling badly switch dice.

@Blasterdude3, They are a great upgrade but I just meant to focus on getting as much firepower as you can before adding suicide gear.
    http://www.videogamevoters.org/
    Support you right to play video games, its for the greater good...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

kroot in my opinion arent a very high priority, but no tau list should be without at least 2 broadsides (above 1500 at least). they dont have to be mobile, with 72' range just set them in trhe back with a good field of vision to the batlefield and blast away.

if the stealths die so quickly why make them more expensive? you'll just lose more points that way, i dont blame you for trying, i to had used that exact build for stealths, but they are just to much. infiltrate them at exactly 18' (and if your opponent doesn't steal initiative)you'll jump forward 1-3' blast away then jump back.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again for the pointers guys, they really helped. Now i have revised my list using some of your advice and some of my original plans and i believe i will bring victory to the Greater Good. I'll let you guys know how it went, we do battle on wed.

Death to the Tyranid Hive mind infestation!!!

+ Reply to Thread