<2000 1500 Point First Time list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Point First Time list

Hey future fellow Tau players! After lurking around here for more then a couple months and finishing up my Salamanders, I have decided its time to give Tau another chance (they we're my starting army)! So here is the list I'd like to get started with! Please Critique!

HQ
    Shas'el - 97pts
    -Missile Pod
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Targeting Array
    -HW Multi-Tracker

Troops
    Fire Warriors x 6 - 60pts
    -Pulse Rifles

Kroot x 10 - 100pts
    - Kroot Hounds x 5

Kroot x 10
    - Kroot Hounds x 5

Fast Attack
    Piranha - 75pts
    -Fusion Blaster
    -Targeting Array
    -Disruption Pod

Piranha - 75pts
    -Fusion Blaster
    -Targeting Array
    -Disruption Pod

Pathfinder Team x 5 - 140pts
    -Devilfish

Heavy Support
    Hammerhead Gunship - 175pts
    -Targeting Array
    -Railgun
    -Burst Cannons
    -Multi-Tracker
    -Disruption Pod

Hammerhead Gunship - 130pts
    -Targeting Array
    -Ion Cannon
    -Burst Cannons
    -Multi-Tracker
    -Disruption Pod

Broadside Team
    Shas'ui - 80pts
    -Advanced Stabilization System
    Shas'ui (Team Leader) - 110
    -Advanced Stabilization System
    -Hard-Wired Drone Controller
    -Shield Drone
    -Gun Drone

Elites
    Crisis Battle Suit Team 1 - 124pts
    Shas'ui
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Missile Pod
    -Multi-Tracker

Shas'ui
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Missile Pod
    -Multi-Tracker

Crisis Battle Suit Team 2 - 124pts
    Shas'ui
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Missile Pod
    -Multi-Tracker

Shas'ui
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Missile Pod
    -Multi-Tracker

Crisis Battle Suit Team 3 - 106pts
    Shas'ui
    -Twin-Linked Missile Pods
    -Targeting Array

Shas'ui
    -Twin-Linked Missile Pods
    -Targeting Array

Total: 1496

I was thinking of running it standered, DeathRains and Ion take out transports, while the Broadsides provide support and continue wrecking vechicles. The FireKnives cut down troops and the Pathfinders help out where necessary. The Kroot provide a screen for my mobile firing line to hide behind, and the FW bunk down on an objective. The Devilfish will either move to contest an Objective or provide cover for the FW. And finally the Piranhas will do their best at being roadblocks to keep the enemies movement where I decide it's ok to move.

Any thoughts or concerns?

Last edited by Swarm Tactician; October 14th, 2010 at 02:23.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Okay, I'll go through your list by FoC labels.

HQ - good. maybe give a shield drone, but good.
    Troops - good. Make sure to give the PF's DF to thet FW squad
    Fast Attack - good
    Heavy Support - you don't have to have extra points for a Targeting Array on Hammerheads, they automatically come with one. Get rid of the gun drone with thhe broadsides, and mayb e get rid of one of the Ionhead to beef up Elites.
    Elites - good. once again, maybe beef them up to 3 man squads by taking out the Ionhead, and (possibly, this is totally your preference) make your TLMP+TA battlesuits TLFlamer+MP. This allows you to deal with jinfantry, as well as use them to take out light vehicles and heavier troops at range.

Thats all I have to say! This is actually a pretty good list as is, and I could see it being competitive.
    Tau Empire: We never stop hiding from you

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is one of the most balanced lists I've seen in a while.

With that said, I'm disappointed that you don't have a full compliment of Crisis suits (1 HQ+3x3 elites= 10suits). However you may have enough heavy firepower that may compensate for the lack of 3 suits.

I wont add anything that taubeast has already stated so I concur with all of his suggestions.

Looks good, hope it works out for ya, and...

Welcome back to the greater good.
    http://www.videogamevoters.org/
    Support you right to play video games, its for the greater good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taubeast View Post
    Okay, I'll go through your list by FoC labels.

HQ - good. maybe give a shield drone, but good.
    Troops - good. Make sure to give the PF's DF to thet FW squad - That was my plan
    Fast Attack - good
    Heavy Support - you don't have to have extra points for a Targeting Array on Hammerheads, they automatically come with one. I just listed it in there to show all upgrades, I didn't charge for the upgrade.
    Get rid of the gun drone with thhe broadsides, and mayb e get rid of one of the Ionhead to beef up Elites.
    Elites - good. once again, maybe beef them up to 3 man squads by taking out the Ionhead, and (possibly, this is totally your preference) make your TLMP+TA battlesuits TLFlamer+MP. This allows you to deal with jinfantry, as well as use them to take out light vehicles and heavier troops at range.

As for the rest of this, I factored it out and my total is 1503. What would you recommend Trading out? I could drop the Fusion Blaster off of one of my Piranha's to make it even and just make sure to only use it only for rear armor attacks? I'm not sure where else to drop of points in my list, it's just to...efficient as it is. I think I would have to change another unit in order to squeeze out some points. That said, would maybe dropping a Kroot or a Hound be a good idea instead of the Fusion Blaster?

Thats all I have to say! This is actually a pretty good list as is, and I could see it being competitive.

@Blood Seriph: Thanks! I'm glad to be back! I think my mistake was trying out a more finesse army when I didn't understand the game, I have a few years under my belt now and think that I'm ready for the challenge!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the feeling, Remember Tau work best turtle fighting.

In order to be competitive you have to ignore a lot of the tau's fluff units(stingwings), gimmick abilities(deep strike), and none cost effective upgrades(any type of unit upgrade ex; xv8'vre).

Something I've come to realize though, don't just make your list invincible, make sure you enjoy playing it.

Good Luck to ya
    http://www.videogamevoters.org/
    Support you right to play video games, its for the greater good...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Well, I think that the best way for you to get rid of those extra 3 points would be to get rid of the Multi-tracker on the railgun hammerhead. With that Hammerhead, you should be playing it to not get close to the enemy, since it has a railgun(range 72), and giving it the multi-tracker makes you want to have it close to your enemies, where it is vulnurable. Keep that Hammerhead far from your enemy, and get rid of its multi-tracker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All right, thanks Tau Beast!

@Blood Seriph: Yah, I was way to aggressive with them when I should've been more standoff-ish and just blasted everything! I did manage to win against a friends Space Marine amy but the other about 8 games were all slaughterfests. I've read just about every guide to Tau on this site now, as well as alot of battle reports, and finally even looked up pictures of Tau battles that had deployment and everything! So I think I'm ready to start spreading around the Greater Good!

@Anybody: How would I play the TW Flamer/MP Crisis Suits? Do they JSJ their way towards the enemy, peppering Transports with their MPs and then blast whatever crawls out with the Flamers? Or are the Flamers just more efficient point wise and I should play them like Deathrains?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

I play the TL Flamer/MP suits by arriving them by deep strike on turn 3. This way you can have gotten some of the more deadly stuff out of the way, and most of the heavier vehicles are out of the way. Mine always pop 1-2 light tanks, and on turn 4 are close enough to start flamin away! This suit really is effective against massed light infantry, and is even good against basic space marines and other more elitish infantry. But anyway, I use them as late support units.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice list, like the way you dont stick to normal list basics. I personally dont like the ionheads but there is nothing bad about them; they just dont work in my playing style. I usually put more FW's in, but thats just me.
    "Victory is sweet, blood is sweeter." - Aun'Vre

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Taubeast View Post
    Well, I think that the best way for you to get rid of those extra 3 points would be to get rid of the Multi-tracker on the railgun hammerhead. With that Hammerhead, you should be playing it to not get close to the enemy, since it has a railgun(range 72), and giving it the multi-tracker makes you want to have it close to your enemies, where it is vulnurable. Keep that Hammerhead far from your enemy, and get rid of its multi-tracker.
    Bad advice. Multi-tracker is exactly what you need on the Railgun Hammerhead. Why?

Because Multi-trackers on Tau vehicles do not do the same thing they do on XV8 Crisis Suits. They do not allow the firing of all weapons, they allow you to move 12" and still fire a weapon (railgun obviously).

Your Railhead is going to want to move and shoot to keep range for that DP 4+ cover save, and by moving 12" you nearly negate the chance of being knocked out by melee. Speed plus 6's needing too be rolled to even hit the tank in melee.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast