<2000 My first shot at a competitive 1500pt force. Criticism please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    132 (x2)

My first shot at a competitive 1500pt force. Criticism please

My Tau list MkII

I love the idea of truly modern warfare and tau encompass that exactly so I'm starting my collection as of pay day.
    This is the army I would like to build up to.
    I like the fire knife suit build and it's proven itself against me in the past [using the holding a midget at arms length while repeatedly kicking him in the nuts method of warfare].
    I've got enough marker-lights to light up a target like the 4th of July.

Let me know what you think.

HQ

Commander Shas'el
    Plasma rifle
    Missile pod
    Targeting array
    Hard-wired multi-tracker
    Bodyguard Shas'vre XV8
    Plasma rifle
    Missile pod
    Targeting array
    Hard-wired multi-tracker

Elite

Shas'ui XV8 (x2)
    Twin-linked missile pods
    Targeting array

Troops

10 Fire warriors
    Shas'ui
    Bonding knife
    Devilfish
    Disruption pod

10 Fire warriors
    Shas'ui
    Bonding knife
    Devilfish
    Disruption pod

10 Fire warriors
    Shas'ui
    Bonding knife

Fast Attack

Pathfinders (x8 )
    Shas'ui
    Bonding knife
    Hard-wired target lock
    Devilfish
    Disruption pod

Heavy Support

Sniper drone team (x2)

Hammerhead
    Railgun
    Multi-tracker
    Birst cannons
    Disruption pod

Hammerhead
    Railgun
    Multi-tracker
    Birst cannons
    Disruption pod

Last edited by Davidian; October 23rd, 2010 at 16:38.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey! It makes me happy when I see someone start a T'au army. Here's my two cents on your list.

HQ

Commander Shas'el
    Plasma rifle
    Missile pod
    Targeting array
    Hard-wired multi-tracker

Bodyguard Shas'vre XV8
    Plasma rifle
    Missile pod
    Targeting array
    Hard-wired multi-tracker

Bodyguards are generally not worth it until you get to much higher points.The only benefit of of bodyguards is the Targeting Array + Multi Tracker combo. Since you have so many markerlights, you really don't need the targeting Arrays, on your commander included. This would free up 50 points just by itself.

Elite

Shas'ui XV8 (x2)
    Twin-linked missile pods
    Targeting array

Good unit. Usually its a good idea to try to max out the Elite section though (3x3 suits) as these are the strongest units we have for the points we pay.

Troops

10 Fire warriors
    Shas'ui
    Bonding knife
    Devilfish
    Disruption pod

10 Fire warriors
    Shas'ui
    Bonding knife
    Devilfish
    Disruption pod

10 Fire warriors
    Shas'ui
    Bonding knife

Kroot are better than warriors. Always. They provide a buffer between your opponent and your valuable troops that will take the opponent several turns to get through. Cheap is better so just take the minimum 10 kroot and however many extra you take, take as hounds. They are an absolute must for any competitive T'au army. Fire Warriors are probably some of the best shooty troops in the game, BUT they are not worth the points we pay for them.

Fast Attack

Pathfinders (x8 )
    Shas'ui
    Bonding knife
    Hard-wired target lock
    Devilfish
    Disruption pod

Why are target lock on the ui? His ML will miss half the time and even if you hit, one ML isn't going to help much. And if you want the bonding knife bad enough, stick it on a team leader instead of an ui. That's 5 free points.

Heavy Support

Sniper drone team (x2)

Sniper drones teams are great fun for casual play, but rail rifles are VASTLY overshadowed by their big brother the railgun. Any competitive list should have three units of railguns. Always.

Hammerhead
    Railgun
    Multi-tracker
    Burst cannons
    Disruption pod

Hammerhead
    Railgun
    Multi-tracker
    Burst cannons
    Disruption pod

These are your only weapons strong enough to hurt AV 14. Because of this, you would probably lose against a necron army with more than one monolith. You would probably lose against a chaos marine army with berserkers in a land raider. You would probably lose against a blood angels army with death company in a land raider. You would probably lose to a tyranid army with 3 dakka-fexes. And the list goes on. You need railguns. Lots of railguns. Preferably on Broadsides with either Advanced Stabilizing Systems or Targeting Arrays. You need to be able to take those enemy power units out turn one. Hammerheads are nice, but mostly for the large blast template they provide, considering you can get two twinlinked railguns for just a few more points. I suggest at minumum 1 railgun per 500 points, more if you can afford it. My 1500 points list has 5. An option you might take is one HH and one unit of 2 or 3 BSs with ASS (or TA) and 2 shield drones.

So, in conclusion, your list is great for casual play, but needs a bit of streamlining to have an edge competitively. More railguns, suits, and at least two units of kroot would make this list fare better in aa competitive setting. Hope my advice helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

point a: you can only have 3 systems on a battlesuit your shas'el had 4 (your guard to)...........
    point b: cut down the pathfinders to 4-6, 8 are a bit much............
    point c: try putting the b'guard in the suits unit. it much more use there
    point d: kroot are not for getting shot up, they should be put in woods and keep anything scary (like dreadnoughts) away.
    point e: railheads not only: broadsides are a cheaper version of the railhead and MOSTLY overlooked by the enemy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lokyar View Post
    point a: you can only have 3 systems on a battlesuit your shas'el had 4 (your guard to)...........
    hard wired systems are allowed on shas'el and body guard and do not take up a system slot.

As to the list, drop the bodyguard and drop him, into the crisis team, the commander can join them for some serious kick-ass.
    Drop the snipers and take 2 broadsides with TA's, with those eating up armor like it was lunch time a fat camp, your railheads can spend some time submunitioning the hell outta infantry, a far superior setup than with snipers. The only reason to take railheads in my eyes is with at least some broadside support (TL makes them better tank killers anyways). (now if only my love crisis teams didn;t get in the way of only taking one broadside with 2 railheads in 1500 pts :<)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eh, I am sure a lot of people will say this. Though I haven't had much experience on this lvl, 4+ reroll should (not is always) enough to not need the targetting array. I think it would be better to take those broadsides with the advanced stablization systems, since the enemy is probably already mad enough at a gun with the strength and AP of a railgun, so one that can move and fire will just make their day (and it will also bring your number of mobile guns from 2 to 4)

+ Reply to Thread