<2000 1850 Competitive Tournament...WTF do I shoot first?!? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1850 Competitive Tournament...WTF do I shoot first?!?

Got a tournament coming up in 2 weeks, just looking for advice/critique, as well as suggestions as the best option for my last filler points. Thanks in advance!

HQ
    Big Mek - 105
    KFF, Burna

Pretty barebones, simply a KFF delivery system. The Burna is because he will be marching with my larger footsloggers and will hopefully get to see some combat.

Elites
    10x Lootas -150

10x Lootas -150

Had wild success with them before, well worth their points.

Troops
    30 Shoota boys w/ Nob, PK, BP, 3 have Rokkit Launchas - 250

These stay in range of the Mek for the KFF
    20 Shoota boys w/ Nob, Pk, BP -160

12 Slugga Boys w/ Nob Pk, BP -112
    Trukk w/ Grot riggers, armor plates - 50

12 Slugga boys w/Nob Pk, BP -112
    Trukk w/Grot riggers, armor plates - 50

Heavy Support
    3x Killa Kans - 150
    Rokkits

3x Killa Kans - 135
    Grotzookas

Battlewagon w/ Deff rolla, armor plates, grot riggers, big shoota -130
    (will contain the 20 man shoota squad for drivebys and rolla mayhem)
    Total points - 1554
    Basic theme: The killa kans walk in front of the shoota mob, both are covered by the KFF. Battle wagon and trukk teams cause havok long enough for the large mob and kanz to get where they are needed. Opponent has to worry about a lot of threats. The 20-60 guarunteed S7 loota shots? The Battlewagon with its max sized mob, deff rolla, and PK nob/boys? 6 Killa Kanz shielding a huge mob of boyz who have their own nastiness? 2 Wartrukks with boyz and nob nastiness that are going to rush their lines? And also, outside of the big footslogging mob (which is the most protected with the kanz and KFF), nothing is worth more than 150 points, so even losing a unit or two doesn't blunt the attack much.

Problem: what do I spend the remaining 300 points on? My initial thoughts are either a small meganob unit (4) in a battlewagon (gives me about 6 points left) as an additional threat to take out terminators, tanks, or other high value targets or the same wagon with a regular kitted nobz unit. Some fast attack vehicles like rokkit buggies and a unit of commandos/stormboyz for quick response. Nob bikers are another option. Need help here!

Im pretty happy with my core force, I just need some flavor to add to it/ cover my weaknesses. I don't see any glaring weaknesses, but someone else might be able to provide more insight. I might be light on anti tank a bit, but I think between 6 rokkits, 4 powerklaws, and 6 killa kanz I can get the job done (lootas as well provided not AV 14) and the deff rolla might even be an option. Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I recently wrote a list that was similar to this and I will tell you exactly what I was told. Basicly this army is exactly what your opponent wants. Many people who have a balance between anti tank and infantry will love playing you because they can use everything they have on you. The single battlewagon will be picked outs priority and without a Kff will be destroyed then your two trukks will not be enough to make it. After that the rest of your force is pretty much out in the open and 30
    Boys is really not that much. You will probably get tabled.

I would suggest rewriting the list and making sure you have enough speed, battlewagon or alot more boys to succed. Also trukks only need a ram they aren't worth anything else. When you read this don't feel bad I made the mistake and you probably would have been upset if you got wiped every game

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I dont see why. Lets assume you are correct, they priority the battlewagon. They need to use at LEAST missile launchers to glance, and even then only 16% of the time will cause any damage. Lascannons only 33% and thats not counting to hit rolls. Or something like a vindicator shell. Good, the big boyz mob takes no damage from ordinance. They will get all of one round of shooting on my wagon/trukks before they deploy their goodness. (they will get deployed in cover) The trukks you might have a point, but the same goes with all trukk mobs. If they concentrated on the wagons and trukks. They just ignored 20 lootas, and 6 kans that will make them pay. Plus if the transports got at least one round of movement, the foot sloggers wont have far to go (they will get shot up yes, possibly destroyed even with enough guns, but their odds are still decent). I also still have enough points to take a 2nd wagon with troops of some sort if one wagon wont be enough.

Is there something I'm not understanding? The only army that worries me really is IG, but then again it seems every list ive ever built has had trouble with them.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revised list is the same spirit, but I took some of you advice under consideration and retooled it a bit.

HQ

Big Mek
    KFF, Burna

Elites

15 Lootas

5 Lootas

Troops

30 Shoota Boyz
    Nob, PK, BP, 3xBig shootas

30 Shoota Boyz
    Nob, PK, BP, 3x Big shootas

20 Shoota Boyz (or maybe slugga, not sure yet)
    Nob, PK, BP

Heavy support

3x Kans-Rokkit launchas

3x Kans-Rokkit launchas

Battlewagon
    Big shoota, deff rolla, armor plates, grot riggers
    (20 man boyz squad here).

My flex points I came up with

Another battlewagon equipped the same as above and either

6 Meganobz (which leaves me 15 points for another item for the big Mek or some combi scortchers)
    OR

7 Nobz
    One is a painboy, 2 Big choppas, 1 PK, BP, all have cybork bodies. (10 points left for cybork on Big Mek).

I figure 2 battlewagon threats are better than 1 wagon and 2 trukks (in terms of staying power), however Im not locked into them, and could take another unit (have to drop the 2nd battlewagon though). I have a 2nd large footslogger mob, redid the weapons on the kanz and boyz, and redid the loota squad makeup. Same idea, Big Mekk KFFs the boyz mobz and Kanz, lootas bring the dakka, the BWs run over stuff and cause mayhem.(mainly need to know about to Nob or not, and mega or regulars.) Thanks!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

guess I dont see why. Lets assume you are correct, they priority the battlewagon. They need to use at LEAST missile launchers to glance, and even then only 16% of the time will cause any damage. Lascannons only 33% and thats not counting to hit rolls. Or something like a vindicator shell.
    Based on "internet" reading, the big thing to do in tournaments right now is transports. Thus I'd imagine there is an excess of anti-vehicle weapondry, as other players are going to be assuming everyone is going to mechanize, and run around in a bunch of chimera's/rhinos/land raiders.

As such, if you only have a single tank on the battle field, its going to face the entirety of the opposing sides anti tank weaponry on turn 1. Sure it's AV14 front, sure it's got a KFF...but when the opponent starts rolling dice after dice after dice, he's going to glance it to death. This has happened to me more then once, which is why I only ever take a minimum of two BW's if I'm going to use them. That way at least they have to divide the fire, or they'll just wipe out one, while the other makes it through. (This is also the reason that when I run BW's, I also run the deffchopta triple scout move threat targeting all enemy Anti-Tank on turn 1).

As such, I'd second the recommendation for more then 1 BW, if not multiple (3)

+ Reply to Thread