Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
been loving the look of the firestorm(burst cannon/missile pod/multi track) setup lately, whats the thoughts?
HQ - 150
Elite - 350
Troop - 427
10 Firewarriors, Devilfish, DP
10 Firewarriors (using pathfinders devilfish)
16 Kroot, 5 Hounds
Fast - 181
8 Pathfinders, Devilfish, DP
Heavy - 390
1498 points total.
HQ's will go into the 2 2man crisis teams, not entirely convinced on only having 1 broadside, could get rid of some firewarriors i guess and make 2 slightly smaller kroot teams and grab one more broadside, however i do like the firepower the firewarriors give, esp into lit up hordes.
Anyhows give the suggestions and i'll revise the list from there.
First of all it seems like a nice list, without any big errors. The following are just some thoughts of mine that may help you improve your list and make it more competitive.
1. upgrading your XV8s to a shas'el seems a bit like a waste of points since you're not using any special issue wargear or the "Hard-wired" wargear. You are basically paying 25 points extra for a few extra stats (BS 4 for 25 points isn't worth it).
I would upgrade the missile pods for twin-linked missile pods and make the multi-tracker hard-wired. (this is only 6 points more!) My favorite setup with a commander is: Airbursting fragmentation projector (AFP), twin-linked missile pods and hard-wired multi-tracker. (This setup is almost overpoweredly good vs light infantry and still got the option of taking out light tanks)
- AFP ignores cover saves, does not need line of sight, causes pinning and is no longer a guess weapon for 20 points!
2. You do not really have anything to counter heavy infantry as your army is completely lagging AP 1, 2 or 3 apart from your railgun weapons. I know the whole point of this list was to make it based around Firestorm setup (But no army works if you just spam the same army). Since you got plenty of missile pods you wouldn't need fireknives... I would instead change 1 XV8 unit for helios setup (plasma rifle, fusion blaster, multi-tracker).
Firestorms are nice against light infantry, but are really really really weak against space marines or necrons for instance
3. Unless you use railrifles, pathfinders usually work best in groups of 6 (just a magic number for pathfinders). Since you already have 2 DFs in your army I would probably even take 2 squads of 6 pathfinders as they are 1 of the best units in our codex.
4. As far as troops go, there are 2 competive army setups... Either go for 1 squad of 6 fire warriors and 2 squads of 10 kroot and 5 hounds (Soften up your opponent's squads with your XV8s and finish them off with kroot).
Or just go for 100% fire warriors... They may be lambs to the slaughter in close combat, but if you got several ranks of them, the enemy has to chop through a lot of groups (remember that you can no longer make a sweeping advance through multiple squads, so if a squad gets charged and killed, you got another squad to blast the enemy unit in the next turn). I personally prefer the 100% fire warrior setup.
5. If you got the points get 1 more Broadside, replace the TA with ASS and give the team leader a hard-wired target lock. The added mobility for your broadsides tends to be better than the extra BS.
Either ways, its all up to you... this is just what I would do to try and optimize the list if I was playing with it.