<2000 1000 pt vs Imperial guard. thoughts please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 pt vs Imperial guard. thoughts please

HQ

Tyranid Prime
    Scything Talons x 2 80pts

Tyranid prime
    Deathspitter 85pts

Elites

Lictor 65pts

Zoanthrope 60pts

Troops

3 x Tyranid Warriors
    2 x Deathspitters 110pts
    1 x Barbed Strangler

9 x Genestealers
    Broodlord 190pts
    Scything talons

10 x Termagants
    Strangleweb 60pts

14 x Hormagaunts
    Mycetic Spore
    Venom Cannon 144pts

Heavy Support

Carnifex 160 pts

Biovore 45pts

Total: 999pts

Ideally I would have taken out the genestealers in favour of more hormagaunts and zoanthropes but I have to work with what models I have so there it is. Thoughts please. I have been considering taking out the biovore and adding a couple of extra hormagaunts with toxin sacs for the reroll to wound it would offer. does this seem like a better Idea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Hive Fleet Macarbe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

Okay. First of you dont need 2 primes, just a waste of points. Trust me on that Drop the zoanthrope. As a rule of thumb if your taking them you need to take at least 3 and give them a mysetic spore, they just dont work otherwise. Loving the warriors and stealers. I would run the termagautns vanilla (Plain) they are only used as screening units, so dont waste points on them. Drop the spore for the hormagaunts and lastly, I would drop both the carnifex and the biovore.

NOW for the fun bit to replace your loss of anti tank, you would want 3 hive guards, which come in at a nice 150 points. Bump up the hormagaunts squad to 20 and YOU MUST give them toxin sacs, that way they can take out key figures REALLY easily. Lastly for the heavy support I recommend two options.
    1. A trygon (If you have extra points make it a trygon prime or give it regen.)
    2. Get a carnifex with 2x twinlinked brianleehch devourers, they can pump out a staggering 12 strength 6 shots a turn.

(I would proxy the models you dont have, almost every player will be fine with it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

this list im sorry to say isn't going to do alot against anything, theres no coherancy or redundancy in any of your choices,

If you lose one part of your army, its gone and what it brought to the table is well useless, and with guard they are very good against eliminating things they want gone very quickly.

1 lictor, 1 walking thrope, a biovore, a vanilla fex, stranglewebwhy? spores dont need upgrades

sorry its not going to fly I suggest droping the biovore, 1 prime, the lictor, the spore and its upgrade the termagants. making the gaunt squad 20x getting a VC on the warriors, get another zoantrhope (2x total) put them in the spore, (much more helpful) the carnifex needs a HVC. maybe add a warrior

dump the rest of your points into hive guard to fill out your elites something like

tyranid prime, D.boneswords, deathspitter

2 zoey's spore
    2 hive guard
    2 hive guard

20x hormagaunts, toxin sacs
    4 warriors, 4 scy talons, 3 deathspitter, 1 vc
    8 stealers, broodlord

carnifex, hvc, TL brainleech dev

I dont have a total but thats just a rough outline of something a bit more ... redundant. more units can now, effectivly kill more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take your point on the singlemindedess of most of the units but this is a young force. bear in mind i have not chosen a list and bought the models to fit, I have been told I am fighting 1000 points of guard and built a list based on what I have available! (I like to represent what I am using with the correct models).

I do realise now that possibly 2 primes is a bit of a waste and i guess I was just a bit worried about synapse. I have dropped the biovore and 2nd prime in faour of more gaunts and a 4th warrior (I love a swarm!) however I will be keeping the lictor, for the pheremone trail when the spore comes on, and the Zoanthrope as an anti tank. If worst comes to worst it can hide behind the carnifex which now has a heavy venom cannon (good shout on that one. don't know why i didnt take that to begin with)

O and I put a venom cannon on the spore because absolutely no one would ever consider doing it! I am bankng that my opponent will be busy taking care of what emerges and not bother about the spore until it is already taking pot shots at the next available unit. I have however now changed the weapon to twin linked deathspitters. At 10 points for 3 strength 5 shots with rerolls to hit even if it only manages 1 turn of shooting it should be worth it. just an experiment!

If I can get them in time I will use multiple zoanthropes and drop the termagants but for now the bullet shield stays!

Has anyone used the doom of malan'tai? just wondering if it as good as it looks on paper in battle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

generally you only want 2 or 3 troop choices at 1000,

also banking on the lictors pheremone trail doesn't work very well, you have a 50/50 for him to come in, if he does the unit you wanted to come in as well equally has a 50/50 to come in

if you manage the lictor first and the other not, the earliest you can have your wanted unit is in by turn 3. and thats half the game!

im also not saying the biovore is bad, hes good in in own right he just didn't fit in with your list, well most things didn't but were working on that ;p

if your worried about synapse dont attack your prime to your warriors, you now have 2 beacons instead of one (if that was your idea)

and yes, I do use the Doom occasionally. some argue hes not worth it. i argue I like him. mostly because he is a giant distraction your opponent has to deal with. but its a one trick pony. if he gets to shoot off his cataclysm more than once its just gravy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

point taken. i guess i got carried away with the idea of dropping a ton of spikey death on top of a platoon of terrified guard! so it seems like there is little point in single lictors or thropes so i have bitten a bullet and got another zoey (trying to find another at a reasonable price from ebay) so I will have at least 2 and i think they go in the spore to remove the inevitable wall of iron death that will be rolling towards me.

were now lloking like:

HQ

Tyranid Prime
    Scything Talons

Elites

2 x Zoanthrope
    Mycetic Spore

Troops

4 x Tyranid Warriors
    3 x Deathspitters
    1 x Barbed Strangler

9 x Genestealers
    Broodlord
    Scything talons

17 x Termagants

17 x Hormagaunts
    toxin sacs

Heavy Support

Carnifex
    heavy venom cannon
    bio plasma

Total 1001pts

with the option of removing the termagants (85 points) and replacing with either another zoanthrope and another genestealer or possibly the doom of malan tai if i can get models to represent.

maybe im stuck in the 2nd edition (probably the last time i had a serious opponent was in the days of rogue trader) but i still think that tyranids should be about overwhelming swarms. it just feels right!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive been looking at a Tervigon and have come up with a couple of variations including one in my 1000 ptsbasically this involves removing the termagants completely as well as some other troops and my spore so is a big change.Is it worth taking a Tervigon in a 1000 pts battle (10 termanagts free and spawned halfway up the board would be nice but you cant rely on it but that catalyst does sound interesting) also at the same time i was looking at changing the genestealers for Ymgarl or possibly reducing the size of the unit or removing them completely in favour of enlarging my gaunt unit.

+ Reply to Thread