<2000 1538 point tau list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1538 point tau list

ey i just got a hold of the tau dex and i am putting together a tau list as i am thinking of starting a second army since my first is almost done. i know the army is rumored to be getting a new dex at some point but i find the tau models too good looking to keep away from lol

this is what i have so far on my list;

Shas'o
    plasma rifle
    Fusion Blaster
    Hard wired multi tracker
    targeting array
    hardwired drone controller
    shield drone
    gun drone

Xv8 ( bodyguards)
    2 suits
    plasma rifle
    Fusion blaster
    targeting array

Elites
    xv8
    shas'vre
    Missile pods
    targeting array

Troops

firewarriors
    12 fire warriors
    devilfish with disruption pods.

firewarriors
    12 fire warriors
    devilfish with distruption pods.

firewarriors
    6 firewarriors
    bonding knife
    hardwired locator
    drone controller
    marker light drone
    shield drone

fast attack

pathfinder squad
    4 pathfinders
    3 rail rifles

heavy support

hammerhead
    smart missile system
    target lock
    flechette discharger
    disruption pods
    Multi tracker
    rail gun

hammerhead
    smart missile system
    target lock
    flechette discharger
    disruption pods
    Multi tracker
    rail gun

skyray
    disruption pods
    Targeting array
    multi tracker
    flechette discharger
    Decoy launcher
    burst cannons

so far this is 1538 i was going to base this on the battle force box so i may put in the stealth suit team as well and the kroot not sure on that part, i am aiming for a 2000 point force as well. i am thinking about dropping a hammer head for some xv88's but i would rather get some feedback on the list at the moment before i finish it off.

the skyray would be mostly trying to stay out of combat using the burst cannons to catch out outflanking troops while the two hammer heads take out as many tanks as they can the xv8s would be trying to take out heavy infantry and fast attack with the troops taking out everything else along with the pathfinders, and the commander and his xv8's supporting the army where he is needed most likely puting waves of fire into anything coming at the troops.

dark angels army: vengance of caliban 3500pt army
    wins:1 draw:2 loss:1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

One of the first things we always say to new Tau players is read, re-read and then re-read the Codex before getting stuck into making army lists. There are a lot of little things in it that are usually missed on the first read-through. I don't mean to be rude or condescending when I say that; I've been playing Tau since they came out and even in the last year I have been noticing a thing or two which I've missed.

Anyway, on to your list.

Commander: Targetting Array is pointless, as he is already at the highest BS attainable. Mixing Drones is also not a good idea. If you're taking any drones with a commander then it's two shield drones, not gun drones.

Bodyguards: You've no Hard-wired Multitrackers on these guys, which is essential. The individuals cost 10pts more than a standard XV8, with no real benefit to your army. You would be better IMHO to use these guys as standard XV8s, making one a T-Ldr with TA and HWMT and the other as a standard PR/FB/MT if you're insisting on the Helios combination. Personally I would be looking at Fireknives (PR/MT/MP)

Elites: The Shas'vre upgrade is pointless unless you intend to have him take one of the Special Issue items. Twin-linked Missile Pods and a TA are fine as is on a standard suit.

Troops: The two 12-man units in the Devilfish are fine, but the DFs need to take Multitrackers to allow them to move further and still shoot their Burst Cannons. Firepower is the main secret of the Tau army, so you don't want to cut some of it out by not taking standard upgrades like the Multitracker.

The 6-man unit is a bit of an odd one. You need a Shas'ui T-Ldr in order to take all those upgrades, and personally I wouldn't be taking any of the Drones at all. Take a 'Ui T-Ldr, give him a Markerlight and a Bonding Knife and shove the unit into the hardest cover you can get. If you're dead set on taking the Marker Drone (which equates to 3 Fire Warriors!) then give it to the Pathfinders.

Pathfinders: Upgrade one of the to T-Ldr with a Bonding Knife and [I suppose you could] give him the Marker Drone, since that way at least one of the Rail Rifle guys might be able to benefit from it. Personally I wouldn't bother.....

Rail Rifles are ok, but you're doing yourself out of 3 Markerlights in this unit by taking them, and Markerlights are very valuable for the Tau. A Rail Rifle may be of decent Strength and AP, but don't rely on causing a successful Pinning Test with them. There are too many un-pinnable units out there now.

Your Heavy Supports are pretty much on the money, although I would be taking Burst Cannons on all of them, a) to save points and b) because of the range discrepancies between the Railguns and the SMS/Burst Cannons. Basically you shouldn't be in a situation where you have to use the Burst Cannons if you keep moving properly.

Have a look at some of the Tactical suggestions around this site, many of which are stickied. There are some excellent articles which go into considerable depth about playing Tau, and it is well worth taking the time to read them.

Hope some of the above was of help to you.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't find the comment about the rule book condescending or rude quite the reverse in fact. i find this more helpfull than anything else i had to read the da book a couple of times in second edition to get a full sense of the rules, just a shame most of those were left out 4th ed.

i do see your point on most of the choices going to sit down tomorrow and read the rule book a few times before i redo the list i will most likely keep the Heavy support the same, as for the rest of the army it will most likely change. i do like the tau for one aspect you have to maximize there firepower and mobility in order for your troops to stay alive, i do see your point with the rail rifles, marker lights all round ^_^ i think.
    dark angels army: vengance of caliban 3500pt army
    wins:1 draw:2 loss:1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

A little help with ideas
    Look on the forum for battlesuits - your main build will be the fireknife and then you will use deathrains, torch and helios at your own personal choice (i only use the torch out of the 3 + fireknifes (as well as a commander with the Airfrag projector (love that gun - put it with a plasma)), but know others who only field deathrain and fireknifes.
    Firewarriors. At this point level i would have 6 of them so think again before going and buying tons, others may field 2 squads of 6 but most competative players field as little as posible
    Look at getting kroot field them as 10 krott and 5 hounds = 100 points nice and easy numbers. at this points level 2 squads of these are a MUST!
    As said pathfinders all need markerlights - keep them doing the main job the army needs.
    Your HS is fine, i dont like the skyray and would choose broadsides but thats my personnal choice.
    Battlesuit numbers - an easy way to think is about 3 for every 500 points.
    In one of my 1.5K list i have 9, in another i have 10.
    And yeh i still read the codex and pick up on new things.

ANd as for the targetting arrays
    You can get better than BS5
    I read that if you have higher (some of the new DE HQ have WS 7 and BS 7) then BS6/7 just means that you get a rerole to hit. So why can't we use wargear and markerlights to get the same thing ????
    However, that aside, just keep to standard commander and give him Target array than get the upgraded one.

Tau are very limited in how to field a successful army compared to new codexes but they can be very powerful when played right. It took me about 10 games (over 1.5 years) to fully understand them to the point where i knew i had them to the best i could and thats with the help of this forum.
    Last edited by Rafici; December 21st, 2010 at 00:18.
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

HQ:
    the targeting array is pointless, BS5 is the limit. I agree with you using the shas'o but if your going tp spring for the higher rank i wouldnt make his weaponry so short range. swap the fusion for a missile pod. same with the gun drone, waste of points. bodyguards are stupid (not to imply you are). they are 10 points more than a normal suit and yet they have no bonuses in stats and can have special issue wargear...yay, swap for more plasma, missile suits and save some points. I'll repeat no short range weaponry! your suits should not be suicide units ever.
    Elites:
    shas'vre is pointless, u get +1 WS for 10 points, lame. take team leader, he is cheaper and still gets to use wargear.
    troops:
    drop the drone and markerlight on the 6 man squad, thats to much of a point sink for such a destructible unit. better yet, just drop them totally and invest in some kroot

fast attack:
    rail rifles, pointless, drop them and give the squad one more member. also just to make sure, you know pathfinders have to have a devilfish right? because they do.

heavy support:
    swap skyray for 2 broadsides with 2 shield drones

overall its not a bad list for one read through, welcome to the greater good!
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This list really isn't that bad for a first try, I've seen worse from people who have been playing for a couple of years.
    As it's already been stated you need to tweak things here and there but on the whole it's quite good. When it comes to arming your suits some people will swear by the fireknife and others will swear by the helios but it all depends on your play-style. I run an HQ pretty much the same as yours and if used properly it can be lethal, however there is nothing to say the fireknife isn't equally good or better either so I would test both setups to see which one worked for me and because they both come to the same points level you won't need to redo your list. Just remember it's your army and don't let anyone choose for you, we are only giving you advice and it's up to you wether you take it or not, Don't forget the most important rule. HAVE FUN!

+ Reply to Thread