<3000 2.5k Death From Above list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.5k Death From Above list

alright, after a ton of deliberation i completely tossed the idea of a grotesque/wrack list led by hamecouli and went with this. i believe this is probably the most devastating list you can field for dark eldar. have to toss cost effectiveness out the window, but it hits like a ton of bricks:

HQ-
    Drazhar, Master of Blades- 230 pts

Duke Sliscus the Serpent- 150 pts

Elites-

9 Incubi- 303 pts
    Klaivex, Demiklaives, Raider, Night Shields

10 Incubi- 340
    Klaivex, Demiklaives, Onslaught, Raider, Night Shields

10 Kabalite Trueborn- 300 pts
    4x Blaster, 2x Dark Lance, Raider, Night Shields

Troops-

9 Kabalite Warriors- 186 pts
    Dark Lance, Raider, Splinter Racks, Night Shields

10 Kabalite Warriors- 210 pts
    Blaster, Dark Lance, Raider, Splinter Racks, Night Shields

10 Wychs- 230 pts
    2x Hydra Gauntlets, Hekatrix, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Blast Pistol, Venom Blade, Raider, Night Shields

10 Wychs- 205 pts
    2x Hydra Gauntlets, Hekatrix, Venom Blade, Raider, Night Shields

Heavy Support-

Ravager- 115 pts
    3x Dark Lance, Night Shields

Ravager- 115 pts

Ravager- 115 pts

2, 499 pts

so that's an army where every raider and ravager can deepstrike, you've got 20 dark lances, 5 blasters, 2 blast pistols, and a special character(the master of blades) who can rip open tanks with his hands if 20 dark lances somehow isn't enough. 70 bodies on the table and 10 tanks.

one incubi unit(with the master of blades in it), that's going to hit like a ton of bricks, and a 2nd 10 man incubi unit that won't be too shabby either. two 10 man wych squads to deepstrike the opponents back objective and take and hold it. the 9 man kabalite warrior squad with silscus imbedded to make their shooting more effective. that plus the 2nd squad of warriors form up a firing line that never needs to leave their raiders, thanks to the splinter racks. while the trueborn squad and their raider join up and augment said firing line considerably.

edit: oh yeah and don't forget, silscus lets you re-roll combat drugs, which means that he and the two wych squads may potentially be very good right off the bat.

all your close combat squads deep strike in to cause havoc in the backfield, while your ravagers and warrior raider squads squirt around the field at speed hugging cover and taking potshots, while your trueborns hopefully hole up in cover in a nice elevated position and get some shielding from the raider sitting near them(to cover a side firing arc).

the trueborn are the only thing the other guy can reliably shoot at, and it's fine if they die. as long as they pop a nasty juicy transport or predator or two before they go, you're golden.

seems to me that, at least on paper, it could be horribly, horribly nasty.

2nd edit: there's obviously lots of room for tweaking too, if you wanted to get in a fifth troop choice(and i kinda do. i like troops.) for instance you could drop the blasters from the trueborn and 10 man warrior squad, as one example. or drop bodies from one or both incubi squads.

Last edited by Pigeons; January 23rd, 2011 at 01:24.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think the Incubi are going to make it across the board (they can't assault from deep striking) in a 2500 point game? I know just about any IG list would tear this apart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

for this kind of army you want to go as much MSU style as possible cause you can't control your reserves so you have to have lots of the same thing coming in so you can make sure that you get the things that you need. Honestly I would make the warriors sqds 5 with a blaster + sarge + blast pistol in venom and then spam those and drop the wyches... drop the night shields on the ravagers and maybe take flickers... the trueborn sqd seems wrong it has heavy weapons and assualt weapons which is very wrong go one or teh other but never both... for this assualt weapons would be better... I think some 5 strong scourge sqds with heat lances would be great for this list... try to expand on the size of your list in terms of number first then if you have left over points put them into beefing up sqds... this way you can help insure that you get a sizeable chunk of your army in on the second turn so you can deliever the damage that you need to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeons View Post
    alright, after a ton of deliberation i completely tossed the idea of a grotesque/wrack list led by hamecouli and went with this. i believe this is probably the most devastating list you can field for dark eldar. have to toss cost effectiveness out the window, but it hits like a ton of bricks:
    You can never throw cost effectiveness out and get a good list. It is a member of the great pantheon of true Dark Eldar gods, Cost Effectiveness, Redundancy and Speed.

HQ-

No invulns=dead ICs, also the Duke is OK for the special he gives, but that is all, he is a weak CC unit. Drazhar is OK, but the lack of an invuln hurts him terribly, especially at that cost.

Elites-

9 Incubi- 303 pts
    Klaivex, Demiklaives, Raider, Night Shields

10 Incubi- 340
    Klaivex, Demiklaives, Onslaught, Raider, Night Shields
    These units are way too big. You will anhilate anything you charge (assuming you survive the massive amoutn of incoming firepower when you hit the enemy line peicemeal) and then stand there and get shot. You want a 2 turn victory and Incubi tune in to that at ~5 men strong. a 3 turn is better than 1 as you will have been able to respond to knowing it will happend nad use other units to tie up the ones that will shoot... these won't work too well. Additionally they are very expensive and still weak to shooting. Too many eggs in one basket.

10 Kabalite Trueborn- 300 pts
    4x Blaster, 2x Dark Lance, Raider, Night Shields
    Ahk! Blasters and DLs in the same unit are terrible, you are always always wasting one or the other and with this set up you will often waste the lot trying to get into position (Blasters out of range, DLs can't fire if you move the raider, no passengers can if you move >6" which will happen). Again way too expensive and vulnerable. This unit can't really do anything well except die and give your opponent a happy feeling.

Troops-

Blasters adn LAnces don't mix, see above. Splinter racks and lances don't mix for the same reasons. Night shields are useless if you want to get into rapid fire range, splinter racks are if you don't.

10 Wychs- 230 pts
    2x Hydra Gauntlets, Hekatrix, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Blast Pistol, Venom Blade, Raider, Night Shields

10 Wychs- 205 pts
    These are OK, but the Night shields really won't help as you want to close, you want Flickerfields here. Also the Blast Pistol won't help much at all. Instead of Venom Blades you want agonisers or you won't ever kill anything.

Heavy Support-

Ravager- 115 pts

Ravager- 115 pts

Ravager- 115 pts
    These are fine

Sorry to be so critical, hope it helped. I will let you think on my comments and those of others before posting again. As the list really needs an overhaul I don't want to get into specific changes yet as that would involve effectively rewriting it and you want advice, not my list.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

karantalsis i'll respond to your comments later, when i'm more awake haha

i just wanted to respond to the first two because i realized that i was forgetting how deep striking worked exactly. i forgot you have to hold half of your deep striking units in reserve and put half on the table. for some reason i thought that i could for instance, choose to deepstrike just one ravager and one incubi carrying raider if the situation called for it. completely forgot that it's actually an all or nothing deal. so yeah that radically changes how the list would run. but i can still choose to just NOT deep strike, right? like depending on the army, deployment and who gets the first turn, i can always just not do it to avoid getting half the army shot up while the other half sits off the table...right? or am i still wrong?

but yeah thanks for the input karantalsis, i didn't find any of it harsh. i'm new to dark eldar, i play eldar and chaos space marines, so most of my thinking is just conjecture. i just couldn't resist trying out lists because the new codex seems to have so much potential. so yeah i'll get to your comments tomorrow

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"9 Kabalite Warriors- 186 pts
    Dark Lance, Raider, Splinter Racks, Night Shields"

This unit is illegal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops, just plain missed that one.

just some rough thoughts i had based on what you guys were saying, haven't worked out the points yet so not sure if it's even doable, but something like this instead?

master of blades
    the duke

5 Incubi, raider*
    5 Incubi, raider*

Troops-

10 Wychs- 230 pts

10 Wychs- 205 pts

10 kabalite warriors*

10 kabalite warriors*

Fast Attack-

6 Hellions*

6 Hellions*

Heavy Support-

Ravager- 115 pts

Ravager- 115 pts

Ravager- 115 pts

sorry for how messy that looks, but the things with asteriks by them are the changes. and it's without points costs and upgrades so far. but roughly something like that?

oh and i'll fix that 9 man kabalite squad, too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok here's the revised list:

HQ-

Elites-

5 Incubi- 205 pts
    Klaivex, Demiklaives, Raider

6 Incubi- 302 pts
    Klaivex, Demiklaives, Onslaught, Raider

5 Kabalite Trueborn- 180 pts
    2x Dark Lance, Raider, Night Shields

Troops-

9 Kabalite Warriors- 161 pts
    Raider, Splinter Racks, Night Shields

10 Wychs- 230 pts

10 Wychs- 230 pts

Fast Attack-

6 Hellions- 96 pts

6 Hellions- 96 pts

Heavy Support-

Ravager- 115 pts

Ravager- 115 pts

Ravager- 115 pts

2, 435 pts

cut down both incubi units and the trueborn unit, got rid of the unnecessary night shields on the incubi raiders, made the first warrior unit legal, and used the extra points to duplicate the wych unit, instead of running the 2nd one with less upgrades. also had enough left for the two squads of 6 hellions.

that leaves 64 points that i can use to either upgrade the hellion squads or upgrade something somewhere else. any suggestions?

alternate idea: drop one or both of the hellion squads and fit in another kabalite warrior squad in a raider. that'll add another 2 dark lances, more horde control and a 5th scoring unit.(really not sure if 4 scoring units is enough)

thoughts or suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

darn it, realized the points on the 6 man incubi were wrong. alright, revised again. dropped the 2nd incubi to 5 and and both hellion squads to 5 and upgraded them. left with 104 points that i have no idea what to do with. it's justttttt shy of being able to include another warrior squad. i was thinking just 5 in a raider to camp a back objective but it's a few points over. so suggestions on what to do with the 104 points left?

HQ-

Elites-

5 Incubi- 205 pts

5 Incubi- 220 pts

Troops-

9 Kabalite Warriors- 161 pts
    Raider, Splinter Racks, Night Shields

10 Kabalite Warriors- 195 pts

10 Wychs- 230 pts

10 Wychs- 230 pts

Fast Attack-

5 Hellions- 125 pts
    Helliarch, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Agoniser

5 Hellions- 125 pts

Heavy Support-

Ravager- 115 pts

Ravager- 115 pts

Ravager- 115 pts

2, 396 pts
    Last edited by Pigeons; January 30th, 2011 at 02:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry for all the posting guys, i'm just answering a lot of my own questions. i think i've pretty much settled on this as a final list. the damn one point over won't make it tournament legal, but i'm sure it'd be fine for friendly play, and if entered in a tournament just drop the least effective thing. a venom blade from one of the wych squads, maybe.

anyway, final version, i think:

HQ-

Elites-

5 Incubi- 205 pts

5 Incubi- 220 pts

Troops-

9 Kabalite Warriors- 151 pts
    Raider, Night Shields

10 Kabalite Warriors- 185 pts
    Dark Lance, Raider, Night Shields

10 Wychs- 230 pts

10 Wychs- 230 pts

Fast Attack-

5 Hellions- 125 pts

5 Hellions- 125 pts

5 Hellions- 125 pts

Heavy Support-

Ravager- 115 pts

Ravager- 115 pts