<2000 Competitive WWP list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Competitive WWP list

I finally came up with a competitive WWP list, but I would like to see what some of the other experienced players can come up with if they HAD to use WWP to deploy 50%+ of their army. What I came up with I have not seen in any forum, so I'm hesitant to post it as I don't want it to influence other people's lists. Please include what you are reserving/deepstriking and a small description on how you would deploy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

what army size?
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500-2500, although my list will be in the 1850-2000 range

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So does everybody feel WWP isn't effective for competative play, or have you all forgotten about this thread? If it's the former I can understand. Give me like few army lists so I can point out the flaws I've found and what I've done to improve on the strategy. I'm looking forward to hear what people feel about it, as all the WWP lists I've seen in the past have 1-2 glaring flaws.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

225 (x6)

Ok, I'll bite.

Starting on the table:
    Haemy, agoniser, shattershard, WWp
    Haemy, agoniser, liquifier, WWp
    7 Wracks, Acothyst, Raider, FF, NS, GT
    9 Wracks, Liquifier, Acothyst, Agoniser Raider, FF, NS, GT (not always starting)

Most likely in reserve:
    Baron
    9 Hellions, Heliarch, stunclaw
    10 Wracks, 2 Liquifiers, Acothyst, Agoniser (not always in reserve)
    3 Beastmasters, 5 Khymeras, 4 Razorwing flocks
    6 Reavers, 2 Caltrops, 2 Heatlances
    10 Scourges, 4 Heatlances, Solarite, Agoniser
    Talos, TL Liquifier, TL Haywire
    Talos, TL Liquifier, TL Haywire
    Chronos, S Vortex

The list is the flavor of the week but the WWP deploying units are usually the same. I have played more games with 1 portal but have been playing 2 portals in the last 3 games - still not sure if 1 or 2 is best for my style of play yet.

Personally, list building tends to be built to ones play style - what works for one may not work for others.
    Last edited by KwiKwag; February 3rd, 2011 at 17:03.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with your list is the same thing I see in 95% of the lists out there. It relies 100% on going first. Going second is an instant loss as your opponent shoots down the raiders and you have 0 chance of getting into CC in any reasonable time. I'm not trying to say this delivery system is terrible, but it seems inherently flawed, no? Maybe I'm missing something in the deployment?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

225 (x6)

And your unflawed WWP list is?
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still working on it, but it centers around 1 Haemonculus with a group of Harlequins and all units able to shoot/assault from the 21" range (12" deploy + 6" move + 3" WWP). Essentially lots of jump packers declared as deepstriking but would be coming through the WWP. Other units I'm still considering and will be playtesting against my friend's IG and Space Wolf lists this weekend. It also would have 0 raiders, since the means of deployment doesn't rely on them, which is a huge point savings.
    Last edited by asdrubal; February 4th, 2011 at 19:39.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

188 (x4)

If the list gets into the bigger range of 2000-2500 you're def going to want another portal carrier. Also there's still some problems with relying on harlies, such as scout bikers (and to a lesser degree other infiltrators/scouts), and dawn of war deployment. Although having most of the army capable of DSing somewhat alleviates this (since even if the portal doesn't get into place they're not gonna end up coming in from the table edge). For 2000 I'd probably try something like:

Baron
    2 Haemonculi w/WWP

7 harlies, 6 kisses, shadowseer, 2 fusion pistols

3 wracks, venom w/NS
    9 hellions, helliarch, venom blade
    10 hellions, helliarch, venom blade, phantasm launcher

5 Scourges, 2 Haywire blasters

Ravager w/3 Dark Lances
    Ravager w/3 Dark Lances
    Ravager w/3 Dark Lances

Total: 1999

It's a shame Hellions can't take any sort of decent AT which leaves the list fairly light in that department. You got the harleis and the throw away wracks to set up a portal, and if you get DoW the harlies make a decent assualt unit out of the portal also.
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

I agree that you want Baron and Hellions, cause if anything arrives before your portal is where you want it, they'll be coming in on your board edge, so you want whatever's in there to be fast. Harlies work too thanks to their ability to ignore terrain. The biggest problem with the portal list is that DE have nothing to increase their odds of reserves arriving. I remember I used to play Ulthwe Strike Force back when it was legal, and what made that army effective was the fact that nothing arrived until your portal was placed, and all the units you had already rolled for would arrive at the first possible opportunity. This enabled the army to hit like a ton of bricks the turn after you placed the portal (and since you were giving the portal to your seer council, there was almost NO chance of you losing your portal. Plus you had beastly things like the avatar or maugan ra or 20 man guardian squads popping out to unload 40 shots at the enemy (at BS4 too!). Fun fact: I only lost twice with this army in the timeframe between Codex Eye of Terror and the 4th Edition Codex Eldar. Both were to Demonhunters.

The point I'm trying to make is that DE since DE units come in on their board edge if there's no portal, and don't have any capacity to enhance their reserve rolls, the WWP list lacks the "hits like a ton of bricks" aspect.

That said, I have a couple thoughts. The first issue to address is that it sort of depends on you going first. Vect can help with that, but unfortunately, costs you the ability to take the baron (you want at least 2 portals, and that means haemies). So that limits your hellions. However, you can do this: assume you're playing with Pitched Battle deployment. Place a raider with a Haemy and some wracks as far forward as possible, drive up 12" and disembark 2" (actually closer to 3" since your base only needs to be touching the 2" disembarkment range), and place the 3" WWP from there on turn 1. So anything that comes in on turn 2 is coming in up to 30" away from your table edge. Of course you are likely to sacrifice the haemy and wracks this way. Again, you pretty much need to go first in this situation unless there's favorable terrain, which would necessitate Vect, but if you can get your WWP that close to your enemy, it probably won't matter if the units coming out of it are slower. And besides, who can honestly say they don't want Vect coming out of a webway portal and shredding things? That'd be freaking awesome.

I'll think on this a bit more, and submit a list.
    The enemy's gate is down

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast