<2000 Tournament next Saturday 1500 army list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Tournament next Saturday 1500 army list

I have my first tournament that I will be able to go to next Saturday, and, I have decided to go for the Greater Good, having recently traded off my Space Wolves with no intention of leaving the Empire again. It will be pretty competitive, with Deathwing, Dark Eldar, Orks, and other armies as well. Here is the army list that I am thinking of taking. If everyone could check my numbers and such, plus give some constructive criticism and tactical advice, that would be great!

1500 Tau Army List

HQ
    Shas’el – 127
    Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker, Hard-Wired Drone Controller, x2 Shield Drones

Elites
    XV8 Squad – 186
    3 XV8 Battlesuits with Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker
    XV8 Squad – 186
    XV8 Squad – 186

Troops
    Fire Warrior Squad – 70
    7 Fire Warriors
    Kroot Carnivore Squad – 70
    10 Kroot Carnivores

Fast Attack
    Piranha – 75
    Fusion Blaster, Disruption Pod, Targeting Array
    Piranha – 75
    Pathfinder Squad – 169
    7 Pathfinders, Devilfish with Disruption Pod

Heavy Support
    XV88 Broadside Squad – 200
    2 Broadsides, Shas’ui Team Leader with Advanced Stabilization System, Hard-Wired Target Lock, Hard-Wired Drone Controller, and x2 Shield Drone, Shas’ui with Advanced Stabilization System
    Hammerhead Gunship – 155
    Railgun, Burst Cannons, Disruption Pod

Total - 1499

I will post the missions for the tournament in the main Tau Empire forum.

Tau Empire: We never stop hiding from you

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Read my post in the other forum...You don't have to use the list I posted there...but this list will get you killed. You simply can't win the first and third games with only two scoring units. You need four scoring units, and they have to be a lot harder to kill than a min-sized unit of carnivores...if you're using kroot, spend at least 150 points per unit....but I really think the best solution is four 145 point scoring devilfish (6 fire warriors inside and a dpod outside).

Pretty much everything in this list is perfect for an all-comers tau list (except again, only two scoring units is exceptionally weak!), but for the specific scenarios in the tournament, it's all wrong.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

You are right, Studying the missions has lead me to this conclusion as well. The list I posted here first was my all-comers list, wasn't really expecting it to be the best list for this. The list you gave is quite handy. Using your ideas, I've come up with something like this: (Note: This is probably unlike any list before seen on this forum for the Tau. Cover your eyes if you do not want to see a very minimum elite slot)

HQ
    Shas'El - 112
    PR+MP+TA+HWMT+HWDC+x1 SD
    Bodyguard - 164
    x2, both with PR+MP+TA+HWMT

Elites
    XV8 - 141
    x3 TLMP+Flamer

Troops
    Fire Warriors - 145
    6 FWs, DF w/ DP
    Fire Warriors - 145
    6 FWs, DF w/ DP
    Fire Warriors - 145
    6 FWs, DF w/ DP
    Fire Warriors - 145
    6 FWs, DF w/ DP

Fast Attack
    Piranha - 85
    FB+DP+TA+FD
    Piranha - 85
    FB+DP+TA+FD

Heavy Support
    Railhead - 165
    Railgun, BC, DP, MT
    Railhead - 165
    Railgun, BC, DP, MT

Total - 1497
    Few points left over. I'm able to still have quite a few XV8 Battlesuits, and everything else you suggested, pretty much. This way I have better accuracy with all of the XV8s, which I especially needed because of a lack of Pathfinders. Also, I don't have 4 piranhas, and money shortages make it look like I wouldn't be able to get any in the next week. So, this is the list you suggested, based around my means! By the way, check out The Tau of War blog to see the army list he posted today, its eerie really....
    Last edited by Taubeast; February 16th, 2011 at 20:41.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Where's this "tau of war blog" thingie? Anyway, I think your revised list can carry off the tactics suggested in the other thread... The main thing is to have at least four really hard to kill (okay, by tau standards) fast troops choices, the ability to kill transports, and the ability to preserve battle points by denying the tertiary objective in each game. To that end, I'd suggest two changes, one to my proposed tactics, and one to this list. First, I'd make the bodyguards monat elites...same points cost, IIRC, and you do have two open slots. This allows you to hide the 'El in game three...you can't afford to risk him, since he's both a kill point and five battle points, but you can't afford to play KP denial games with a 300 point HQ, either! Second, I had suggested fleeing with the last pirhana standing in game 2...but if you're only fielding two of them instead of one, you'll instead want to play KP denial with at least one of them from the get-go. Making him work to harvest that tertiary objective will probably distract him from the primary!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Good idea on the body guard, will do.

Here is a link to Tau of War:

Tau of War

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

I know it is the night before the tournament, but play-testing has brought to my attention that this list we came up with doesn't have enough fire power for my tastes, and it has too many tanks for my style as well. I kept getting my tanks run up on each other while trying to maneuver to protect things. So, without changing too much, I've decided to drop a Fire Warrior squad and added 4 battlesuits. It fits my style better, and it still has plenty of troops and things. Note this is still a toss-up, and I still might take the other list instead. So pretty much, I'm asking for as many people as possible to reply to this and tell me which I should take, with their reasons for taking them. Of course, I may ignore what everyone has to say, and take the one I want to, but I want everyone's opinions first on what I should do. Play style wise, this one below is better. Mission wise the one above is better.

HQ
    Shas’el – 112
    Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker, Hard-Wired Drone Controller, x1 Shield Drone

Elites
    XV8 Squad – 186
    XV8 Squad – 141
    3 XV8 Battlesuits with Twin-Linked Missile Pod, Flamer
    XV8 Squad – 141
    3 XV8 Battlesuits with Twin-Linked Missile Pod, Flamer

Troops
    Fire Warrior Squad – 145
    6 Fire Warriors, Devilfish with Disruption Pod
    Fire Warrior Squad – 145
    Fire Warrior Squad – 145

Fast Attack
    Piranha – 75
    Piranha – 75

Heavy Support
    Hammerhead Gunship – 165
    Railgun, Burst Cannons, Disruption Pod, Multi-Tracker
    Hammerhead Gunship – 165
    Railgun, Burst Cannons, Disruption Pod, Multi-Tracker

Total - 1495

I need plenty of people to reply to this so I can choose before 8: 00 tomorrow morning. It is 9: 00 PM as I post this. Thanks!
    Last edited by Taubeast; February 26th, 2011 at 03:01.

+ Reply to Thread