<2000 1850 semi-competitive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

1850 semi-competitive

For a truly competitive list, the feeling is that you must field at least ten fireknife crisis suits, no more than six fire warriors, nothing but railguns for heavies, lots of pirhana, and of course some kroot (since you must take two troops, and of course taking only two is very risky)...Well, as you'll see, this list is very loosely drawn up along those lines, primarily violating the fireknife spam "requirement." It also violates the "take nothing but dpods for vehicle wargear" (exceptions like multitrackers on railheads granted, of course) rule.

HQ:

Shas'El with Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Hardwired Multitracker (joins crisis team)
    Shas'El with Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Hardwired Multitracker (joins crisis team)

Elites:

Crisis team with 1xFireknife, 1x Helios
    Crisis team with 1xFireknife, 1x Helios
    Stealth team with 5x Stealth suit, 2x Marker Drone, 4x Gun Drone

Troops:

6x Fire warrior (go in pathfinders' fish)
    10x Kroot Carnivores
    10x Kroot Carnivores
    10x Kroot Carnivores

Fast Attack:

8x Pathfinders, Devilfish with disruption pod, flechette discharger, and smart missile system
    Pirhana with targeting array, fusion blaster, disruption pod
    Pirhana with targeting array, fusion blaster, disruption pod

Heavy Support:

Hammerhead with rail gun, multitracker, disruption pod, target lock
    Hammerhead with rail gun, multitracker, disruption pod, target lock
    Broadside team with 2 advanced stabilization systems, team leader with target lock and 2 shield drones

The flechette discharger on the devilfish and the target locks on the railheads were bought with leftover points...I considered giving the pirhana each a flechette discharger instead, but their purpose is blocking and tank hunting, not infantry killing, so I decided that making the one mobile troops choice riskier to assault, as well as letting the railheads shoot their burst cannons at a separate target was a better way to spend the points. After all, over the course of a game, four burst cannons are almost certainly going to kill more than two flechette dischargers will!

The stealth marker team, in addition to bringing a little variety and flavor to the list, gives me a second, not to mention harder to kill, set of markerlights, as well as 19 S5 shots. The common argument against any S5 weapons in a tau list is "there's plenty of S5 elsewhere," but when you actually examine the lists that those who say such things are happy with, you'll find virtually no S5 shooting. What you'll find is 6 fire warriors that aren't supposed to dismount, two gun drones per pirhana, burst cannons on railheads (that don't have target locks, so they have to shoot at the same target as the main gun...which is usually firing solid shot at a tank), SMS on broadsides (that aren't being used because the rail guns are firing), and two gun drones and a burst cannon (that you'd prefer is more than 18" from any enemy) on the pathfinders' devilfish. When you count it up, most of the "S5 shooting" that exists on paper in an "optimal" tau list will never in fact shoot!

Anyway, this isn't supposed to be a GT or Ard Boyz list (I wouldn't take tau to such an event in the first place!), it's supposed to be a list to take down to the FLGS on the weekend for some casual gaming, but with a realistic chance of winning.

Last edited by Marnepup; March 14th, 2011 at 23:37.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Looks like it would work to me. Don't worry, I've been violating the Fireknife requirement myself, to the point that I don't take them any more! I just got tired of their dependence on Markerlights.
    Tau Empire: We never stop hiding from you

+ Reply to Thread