2500 Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2500 Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500 Tau

HQ
    85 Commander
    TL Fusion, Missile Pod, HW multitracker
    50 Ethereal
    149 Body Guard (12)
    Team Leader, Bonding Knife
    Troops
    135 Fire Warriors (12)
    220 Fire Warriors (12)
    Team Leader, Bonding Knife, Devil Fish W/ Disruption pods
    220 Fire Warriors (12)
    220 Fire Warriors (12)
    220 Fire Warriors (12)
    220 Fire Warriors (12)
    Fast Attack
    196 Pathfinders (8
    86 Vespids (5)
    Strain leader
    Heavy Support
    260 Broadsides (3)
    Team leader, HW Drone controller (2) shield drones
    260 Broadsides (3)
    Team leader, HW Drone controller (2) shield drones
    175 Hammerhead
    Rail gun, Smart missile system, Multi tracker, Disruption pods

setup is Ethereal squad, non-mounted firewarriors, pathfinders , and broadsides in a building. The rest of the firewarriors mounted and hammerhead ready to roll out. the non-mounted firewarriors hitch a ride with the pathfinder devilfish. From turn to turn the broadsides pathfinders and ethereal squad chill in a building and the 6 mounted firewarrior teams and hammerhead move around and isolate and eliminate parts of the opponents army and claim objectives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

When you eventually get your Fire Warrior units out of their respective Devilfish to deliver the Fish of Fury attacks you're presumably planning, they will be at the mercy of return fire from whatever you don't kill plus potential assault as well. You've no Multitracker on your DFs which means you're limited to 6" moves if you want to fire the Burst Cannon at all. You would also be preventing yourself from firing the Gun Drones too, since they fire "in addition to any weapon which the DF would normally be able to fire". The argument here would be that since the DF can't fire its Burst Cannon if it moved >6", your drones would not be able to fire either (this comment may just create a 'discussion'!)

The Ethereal is a waste of space and if any of your FW squads happen to be out of their DF at the time when the Ethereal is killed then they will have to take a Price of Failure test which could well see them running away, thus preventing them from mounting up into their DF for another turn or two. Kinda spells disaster to me.

You've no Crisis suits bar your commander?

Your Broadsides have no way of splitting their fire, nor can they move and shoot. Advanced Stabilisation Systems are pretty much de rigueur for Broadsides, and the T-Ldr should have a hard-wired Target Lock. That way you would at least get to target 4 different vehicles rather than having a potential overkill on a single one.

Please don't take offence at this, but good luck with the Vespid. They have no back-up squad (Kroot), they are not particularly brilliant as a unit and the range of their guns brings them too close to the enemy for comfort/survival.

I guess you're just really wanting to try out an Armoured Force, but to be honest you'll find that without the medium-heavy support weapons from the Crisis units you are probably going to struggle with this list. However, a challenge is always a good thing!

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather save the points on devilfish to use elsewhere in the army. I feel like suits are a waste of points also. Example if i outfit one suit with a burst cannon and plasma rifle and multi tracker for example im spending 50+ points for a potential of 5 shots where i can generate at least 8+ shots with fire warriors for the same points. The vespids are to throw at a unit before that unit gets to my broadsides and pathfinders. As with the fish fury approach heres a tactic i use. space your df 1 in. apart in a line and add the hammerhead to one end and you basically make a wall of aromor people cant move through b/c of the 1in. rule. Its hard to go around the 7 pieces of armor in the list. plus if people assault the transport fine theyve wasted a turn killing something that doesnt score and they are in the open for me to mow down. i will admit this doesnt work against horde armies and bike armies. i agree with the comment on the ethereal. i just like having 84 firewarriors. thanks for the advice.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by LiefBlackclaw View Post
    I would rather save the points on devilfish to use elsewhere in the army. I feel like suits are a waste of points also. Example if i outfit one suit with a burst cannon and plasma rifle and multi tracker for example im spending 50+ points for a potential of 5 shots where i can generate at least 8+ shots with fire warriors for the same points.
    This is terrible logic. Sure, you can get more firepower, but it is all S5 AP5. The Battlesuits are our Terminator/MEQ hunters, our light tank killers, our distractions, our most versatile unit. Honestly, if you are outfitting a battlesuit with a burstcannon, you need to re-think how you play the list. Plus, Battlesuits can survive longer than fire warriors. You show up with this army, and your opponents will crush your hammerhead, broadsides, and commander by turn two at the latest, and laugh at you the rest of the game as you try to reliably destroy him with firewarriors. You simply cannot compete at 2500 points with the ability to only kill 3-4 tanks a turn in the current Mech environment, especially when you have nothing capable of quickly taking out MEQ (ignoring their saves) Plus, with your lack of plasma, you are going to seriously suffer against anything FNP.
    Tau Empire: We never stop hiding from you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revision

commander
    TL Fusion, Missile Pod, Hard Wired Multi Tracker

162 Crisis Team (3)
    *all* Fusion, Missile pod, Multi tracker

135 Fire Warriors (12)

220 Fire Warriors (12)
    Team Leader, Bonding Knife, Devilfish w/ disruption pods

220 Fire Warriors (12)

220 Fire Warriors (12)

220 Fire Warriors (12)

220 Fire Warriors (12)

196 Pathfinders (

118 Vespids (7)
    Strain leader

270 Broadsides (3)
    Team leader, (2) shield drones, Target Lock

270 Broadsides (3)

165 Hammerhead
    Rail gun, Burst cannons, Multi Tracker, Disruption pods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revision

commander
    TL Fusion, Missile Pod, Hard Wired Multi Tracker

162 Crisis Team (3)
    *all* Fusion, Missile pod, Multi tracker

135 Fire Warriors (12)

220 Fire Warriors (12)

220 Fire Warriors (12)

220 Fire Warriors (12)

220 Fire Warriors (12)

220 Fire Warriors (12)

196 Pathfinders (8

118 Vespids (7)
    Strain leader

270 Broadsides (3)

270 Broadsides (3)

165 Hammerhead
    Rail gun, Burst cannons, Multi Tracker, Disruption pods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

Ok i am gonna be quite blunt so i am sorry in advance.
    Get ride of the Vespids they should never see the outside of a box.
    Drop the pathfinders to a squad of 5ish - 8 is overkill and i assume your using their devilfish for a firewarrior squad.
    Drop 2 firewarrior squads for 2 kroot squads.
    Drop all the other firewarrior squads in numbers - even when they get out and shoot against a basic SM from 12 members you will get 1.3 unsaved wounds. In rapid fire range thats 2.5 wounds. So your 220 point squad has done the same as a single 80 point fireknife battlesuit. - see what we mean??
    I would say 3 firewarrior squads at this point level are enough - convert one of the squads into pathfinders.
    I cut up my vespids and used them as the dead in my ork army - does that show how unusable they are?
    As said Battlesuits are the core of our army, without them you really wont stand a chance. Your heavies are fine
    your HQ is your choice but can i suggest a fireknife and keep the twin linked fusion model for an elite. BS5 on a model which has a PR and MP has much more uses.
    At this point stage you should be using all 15 battlesuits or atleast 12. Also phiranas are used by almost everyone.

If you want fluff, then ignore everthing i have said and go with what you have done (except maybe make HQ a fireknife) but i do warn you that unless the person you play is a friend and they also field a simular style of army AKA more on fluff than what works, then they will prob table you or come close to it.

My friend likes to play a fluffy IG/SM army but will lose most games as i dont. So he has started building good armies instead of building a nice fluffy army and in return for some games i am ignoring my instincts and trying to build fluffy lists. This way as long as we are both going the same way they should be fair games with us both having eaqually good or bad list.

But if you are playing someone who fields a competative list or playing strangers at GWS then please just go with 12-15 battlesuits. most as fireknifes, some as deathrain and some as torch squads, 2-3 6 man Firewarrior squads, 2-3 10 kroot+5 hounds squads, FA using 2 pathfinder squads of 5/6 and a phiranha (pos 2 in a squad) and HS set up like you with broadsides and hammerheads.
    Use devilfishes from pathfinders so only buy for surplus squads. Put 2 shield drones on each broadside squads and 1 SHield drone on each battlesuit squad. All HQ battlesuits should be fireknifes unless unsing special weapons.

Hope this helps. As i said i apologies if it comes across as rude.
    Just remember the aim of the game is to have Fun so play what you want but also remember that if you never win ever if wont be fun no matter what you field.
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

*moved to the army list section*
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

What's unfluffy about using battlesuits? Tau DO NOT hold ground. We hunt. The ground is just the ground. Battlesuits, rapid response teams, overwhelming firepower, these are our weapons. Let your prey believe that they are taking something of value, and then destroy them.
    Last edited by Astantia; April 11th, 2011 at 02:22. Reason: reworded
    Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Astantia View Post
    What's unfluffy about using battlesuits? Tau DO NOT hold ground. We hunt. The ground is just the ground. Battlesuits, rapid response teams, overwhelming firepower, these are our weapons. Let your prey believe that they are taking something of value, and then destroy them.
    Yeh but a fluffy list would not have more battlesuits than firewarriors
    In my 1500 point list (which works very well) i have 10 battlesuits and only 6 firewarriors
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

+ Reply to Thread