<2000 1500 Semi fast with Seer Council - feedback greatly appreciated - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Semi fast with Seer Council - feedback greatly appreciated

I haven't been able to play test/proxy yet as our group is only just starting to look at moving up to 1500 points. So atm this is all paper theory for me.

Within our group we have a wide range of armies: Mech, Horde, competitive, fun, and all things in-between.

1) The main purpose of me posting this list is so I can ask you: Am I shooting myself in the foot by having a Seer Council in a 1500pt list? With the cost of the Seer Council, I could easily take a squad of 5 Warp Spiders and probably a squad of 10 Striking Scorpions.

I feel like a Seer Council could be a lot of fun, but I don't want to take them if it's going to cripple me.

Total: 1490pt

HQ: 460

Farseer (joins the Howling Banshee squad):
    Doom, Runes of Warding

Farseer (with Seer Council):
    Guide, Fortune, Spirit Stones, Runes of Witnessing, Jetbike
    4 x Warlock:
    2 x Destructor, Jetbikes
    2) Should I find 5 more points and take Enhance on a Warlock? I feel like it's really important for them to (almost) always hit first.
    OR (see Rangers)

Troops: 524

5 x Rangers:
    2) Do I find 10 more points and upgrade them to Pathfinders?

10 x Dire Avengers:
    Exarch, extra Shuriken Catapult, Bladestorm

10 x Storm Guardians w/ Warlock:
    2 x Flamers, Destructor (Warlock)
    Wave Serpent:
    TL Bright Lance, Spirit Stones
    3) I only have 2 Wave Serpents, I felt that because the Storm Guardians are squishier and made for assault, that I should probably mount them instead of the DA's - although I love taking a WS of DA's and a WS of Banshees around together in my 1k list. Thoughts?

Elites: 276
    9 x Howling Banshees:
    Exarch, Morrorswords, War Shout, Acrobatic
    Wave Serpent:
    TL Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones
    I could strip War Shout and/or Acrobatic to free up 5/10 points.

Heavy Support: 230
    2 x Fire Prism

4) Anti-tank: Between the 2 Fire Prisms, TL Bright Lance, and the Seer Council - Do you think I have enough Anti-tank to put up a decent fight if I'm up against a Mech list?

5) Anti-horde: I think this is where I'm most concerned about the cost of the Seer Council. I do have 3 x heavy flamer templates, 2 x standard flamers, 2 x large blast - On paper it feels like I'm covering myself, but I'm possibly underestimating just how much zerg 1500 points buys.

General tactics:

Keep the 2 Wave Serpents on the move:
    Banshees and Guardians shoot/assault, re-board the Wave Serpent whenever they're not in combat. They will work together on large targets, or separately on smaller targets.

Seer Council: Keep Fortune/Guide on themselves. They would act as Anti-tank when required, or take on some of the heavier targets due to the fact that they always wound on a 2+ and have an Invulnerable Save.

Dire Avengers: Aaarrggh... It sucks not having them in a WS. I guess they'll slowly walk towards stuff and then Bladestorm... Or hide behind a tree near an objective.

Rangers: Find a hiding place at an objective and snipe stuff.

Fire Prisms: Stay away from danger and kill many varieties of things.

Thanks for reading my essay! I look forward to reading your comments and suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Megwymor View Post
    HQ: 460[/B]
    Doom, Runes of Warding
    The Farseer is a good choice to go with the banshee's. They will make them live a lot longer especially if they are getting shot at. For the points he is one of the best psychkers. I would give him the rune to help negate psychic powers as they will be in the front lines.

4 x Warlock:
    2 x Destructor, Jetbikes
    2) Should I find 5 more points and take Enhance on a Warlock? I feel like it's really important for them to (almost) always hit first.
    OR (see Rangers)
    The Seer coucle is a good idea but they will be shot up quickly. You already have insane WS/Initive so I would not worry about enchance. This unit will rip things apart. I would give them the Singing spears. This will give them an effective shooting range of 24 inch's at str 9. You can also play hit and run and with guide they will almost always hit and with 2+ to wound it means you will hit with 5/6 shots and wound 4/5 of thoes. This is nasty against most things.

5 x Rangers:
    2) Do I find 10 more points and upgrade them to Pathfinders?
    Upgrade them the +1 save is not the big part it's the AP1 shots that can chew though armor. If you go against Tyranids all of a sudden on a hit roll of 6 that nice 2+ save becomes void

10 x Dire Avengers:
    Exarch, extra Shuriken Catapult, Bladestorm
    Always a good unit I tend to put them in transports in smaller numbers

Wave Serpent:
    3) I only have 2 Wave Serpents, I felt that because the Storm Guardians are squishier and made for assault, that I should probably mount them instead of the DA's - although I love taking a WS of DA's and a WS of Banshees around together in my 1k list. Thoughts?
    Love this unit used it myself for years. Just resently switched 2 of them out for dire avengers since they are better at just a few points.

9 x Howling Banshees:
    Exarch, Morrorswords, War Shout, Acrobatic
    Wave Serpent:
    These things are death. You should have a brightlance on this wave serpent the goal is to pop a transport and then drop these guys off for assault. You could drop 1 or 2 of them because you get 3 attacks on the charge. Not much stands up to 27 power weapon attacks. These are built to kill terminators and marines.

2 x Fire Prism
    Great units if you can find the points I would give them holo-fields it will keep them alive for much longer

I would end up droping the rangers. Use the points to add holofields and upgrade the weapons. I would really think about the spears on your warlocks/farseer. Otherwise I like it. Looks fun!
    Last edited by Cheetahfurry; June 9th, 2011 at 16:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome, thanks for the ideas.

The main reason I don't have Signing Spears on the Warlocks is because I don't like to lose the extra attack, however, since one of their duties will be tank busting at times, it could be a good idea for me to have a couple. I will definitely think about this.

I've gotten rid of 1 Banshee so that I can upgraded my Rangers to Pathfinders, and I've left War Shout and Acrobatic on them.

I'm still thinking about Holo Fields. I think I'll have to play test so that I can see how I go on Objective matches with only 2 troops. I feel like I probably do need 3 troops for a 1500 match, but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The squad on the jetbikes with the spears would be nasty. Tank popping goodness! Glad to help. You can check out my army I have 2 (One just concept foot only)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

I haven't been able to play test/proxy yet as our group is only just starting to look at moving up to 1500 points. So atm this is all paper theory for me.

Within our group we have a wide range of armies: Mech, Horde, competitive, fun, and all things in-between.

1) The main purpose of me posting this list is so I can ask you: Am I shooting myself in the foot by having a Seer Council in a 1500pt list? With the cost of the Seer Council, I could easily take a squad of 5 Warp Spiders and probably a squad of 10 Striking Scorpions.

I feel like a Seer Council could be a lot of fun, but I don't want to take them if it's going to cripple me.

Total: 1490pt

In 1500 you are not shooting yourself but you are gonna lack in troops dept.

HQ: 460

Doom, Runes of Warding babysitter? i rather take a scorpion squad who does not need a babysitter and free 100 points . 2 hq witha seer council = shooting yourself

4 x Warlock:
    2 x Destructor, Jetbikes
    OR (see Rangers)

enhance is a must. you want them hitting before marines and in same time with furious chargers
    Troops: 524

5 x Rangers:
    2) Do I find 10 more points and upgrade them to Pathfinders? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. i don`t like them but is your choice

10 x Dire Avengers:
    Exarch, extra Shuriken Catapult, Bladestorm as i said you are gonna lack in troops department. foot avengers T3 4+ save do the math.

Wave Serpent:

9 x Howling Banshees:
    Exarch, Morrorswords, War Shout, Acrobatic war shout? does that work more than 1 in 20 games?. And mirror sword? that means you`ll not have reliable wounds if the doom seer dies
    Wave Serpent:

2 x Fire Prism

4) Anti-tank: Between the 2 Fire Prisms, TL Bright Lance, and the Seer Council - Do you think I have enough Anti-tank to put up a decent fight if I'm up against a Mech list? No you do not have. i would tie your seer council and with 3 shots you`ll kill one chimera per turn and i have 12

5) Anti-horde: I think this is where I'm most concerned about the cost of the Seer Council. I do have 3 x heavy flamer templates, 2 x standard flamers, 2 x large blast - On paper it feels like I'm covering myself, but I'm possibly underestimating just how much zerg 1500 points buys.

General tactics:

Keep the 2 Wave Serpents on the move:
    Banshees and Guardians shoot/assault, re-board the Wave Serpent whenever they're not in combat. They will work together on large targets, or separately on smaller targets.

Seer Council: Keep Fortune/Guide on themselves. They would act as Anti-tank when required, or take on some of the heavier targets due to the fact that they always wound on a 2+ and have an Invulnerable Save.

Dire Avengers: Aaarrggh... It sucks not having them in a WS. I guess they'll slowly walk towards stuff and then Bladestorm... Or hide behind a tree near an objective.

Rangers: Find a hiding place at an objective and snipe stuff.

Fire Prisms: Stay away from danger and kill many varieties of things.

Thanks for reading my essay! I look forward to reading your comments and suggestions.
    some feedback
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

+ Reply to Thread