<2000 1500pts Intermediate Player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pts Intermediate Player

Hey guys! Looking for tips and advice. This is the list I usualy run, it consists of most of the models in my colection however I do have 2 more devilfish, another hammerhead(With all weapons options) another 10 fire warriors, all my XV8's are magnatised so weapon swaps are not an issue and a bunch of kroot. I have about a 30-40% win rate with it, that I would like to increase. I play against Marines and Chaos Marines like 99% of the time. I usualy play with my kroot infiltrated basicaly being used to slow down fast moving elements of my opponents armys while I blast away at appropriate targets with the rest of the army. Predators, land raiders and vindicators are always high prioity targets for my XV88's usualy with marker light support, while my TL MP XV8 go for transports. My PR/MP XV8's go for targets on foot along with any terminators/high save targets. So am I going wrong or amI just being unlucky?

Shas'el
    Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targetting Array, HW Multi Tracker
    Bodyguard
    Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targetting Array, HW Multi Tracker

2 Crisis Suits
    Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi Tracker

2 Crisis Suits
    Twin Linked Missile Pods, Flamer

2 Crisis Suits
    Twin Linked Missile Pods, Flamer

10 Fire Warriors

10 Fire Warriors

14 Kroot Carnivore
    5 Kroot Hounds

14 Kroot Carnivore
    5 Kroot Hounds

7 Path Finders
    Devilfish
    Decoy Launchers
    Disruption Pod

3 Broadsides
    3 Advanced Stabilisation System

Hammer Head
    Ion Cannon
    Burst Cannons
    Multi Tracker
    Decoy Launchers
    Disruption Pod

Thanks for reading and any advice/tips/tricks ect will be greatfully recived

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice list, which armies do you usually verse

improvements:
    i would remove the pathfinders, not a big fan of them
    change them out for some piranhas or add to your crisis teams
    also upgrade your Shas'el to a Shas'o for the better balistic, leadership and wounds

but still nice list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The armys I usualy play against consist of some thing like:
    CSM
    Lord, Demon Weapon, combi plasma
    2x Chosen, 4 meltas, power fist in rhino out flanking
    2x CSM Squads Plasma Gun, Rhino
    Predator, Autocannons, Lascannon Sponsons
    Vindicator or Havoc squad, 4 missile launchers
    CSM
    Chaos Lord, Deamon weapon, Terminator armour
    Socorcer, Terminator Armour, the spawn spell (what ever its called), and doom bolt( the s4 ap3 assault 3 one)
    3 Terminators, Reaper Autocannon
    7 PLauge Marines, 2 Plasma Guns, Rhino
    7 Berzerkers, Rhino
    5 CSM Bikers, mark of Nurgle
    Imperial Fist SM
    Captian Storm Sheild Relic Blade
    Sterngaurd squad(6), 2 Stormbolters, 2 Combi Melta, Drop pod
    2 Tactical Squads, PLasma Cannon, melta gun, Razor Back (1 Lascannons, 1 Assault cannon)
    Scouts 4 Sniper Rifles, 1 Heavy Bolter, 1 Bolt Pistol/CCW
    Assault squad
    Vindicator

Thats all roughly what they take minus a few bits i'm sure that i've left out. New lad had has just joined are group as well, he brings either BA or GK, but I don't think hes setteled on what he usualy runs in his list yet, plus I havn't played against him yet!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    421 (x8)

This is a good list, personally I can see nothing wrong with it keep the pathfinders, they are life savers and also its not really worth upgrading the Shas'el to a Shas'o, all you need is +1 ballistic skill if your good enough which i'm sure you are, you should never need to make a leadership test or take an armour save for your commander because of the jsj tactic and using your hammerhead for cover which I do all the time. I don't think your unlucky you just need to prioritise your enemies units, whats the biggest threat? In the first chaos list i'd be worried about the havocks/vindicator or the predator, they would be my main threats so i'd try and get rid of them first and you've got the firepower to get rid of them in about 2-3 turns, the second list would be the beserkers and plague marines in rhinos and in the last list the sternguard and razorbacks, you can't really do much about the combi-meltas accept to hope for the best, I hope this has helped!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad list... I've found as Tau, it's tough to play in an Assault-based world, and most of my wins come from Guard (I can out-shoot them!). Those CSM lists really aren't that great, though, which should work to your advantage.

- I would drop to 5 Pathfinders from 7. On average, 2-3 Markerlights will hit, and you shouldn't need more than that.

- Fill the Heavy slots. I would run less Kroot and Fire Warriors for the points. I would personally run 3 more Broadsides, but another Hammerhead works, too, potentially an Ion-head to keep the points low.

- Don't be afraid to use the Devilfish and Hammerheads to corral your opponent away from assaulting your suits. That extra turn you buy is a lot of shooting before they get the assault.

- If you want to try something completely different, use Melta/Plasma crisis suits to kill of everything in short range. Denying armor saves is always nice - just plan carefully so that you are not assaulted.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau do live in an CC universe

you should:
    increase your heavy support units, have another hammerhead and more broadsides or a sniper team

if it were me keep most of your fire warriors and have at least one kroot squad to use as a counter assault unit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your list is pretty good, I agree with regleant in dropping to 5 pathfinders as you only need 2-3 hits. if i were you, i would try to grab another Hammerhead, and get some devilfish for you FW's. this will give you a twofold increase in army survivability. 1) now you have another big scary tank with a huge gun (go railgun) and you have a transport to protect or rescue your fragile firewarriors. 2) a great tactic to take advantage of with JSJ is to move your vehicles up to a good spot, moving 12", jumping 6" with your suits, firing, then jumping the suits behind the vehicle. this gives you cover saves on your crisis suits as well as allowing you to advance with support. so just try to get another railhead, drop the bodyguard on your HQ so he can join other squads, drop some FWs to facilitate points for atleast a devilfish as well as dropping a Kroot squad for more points, leaving you still with 3 scoring units. Unfortunately with Tau and thier older codex with old points costs, the more optimized you want your list, the closer you get to the only viable competitive build for tau, min-max FWs in devilfish with a large Kroot squad, 2 Hammerheads, 3 broadsides, 3 teams of 3 crisis suits, and your HQ suit. i do not like this outlook but i have to agree it is the best we can do in 5th edition with the current armies out there.
    My Dice keep me in check

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad. Could work, but I would suggest:
    - Dropping Kroot squads down to 10 Kroot and 4-6 hounds
    - Drop decoy launchers on pathfinder's DF, and if you weren't already going to give it to a FW squad
    - Drop decoy launchers on hammerhead
    - Give the FW squad without a DF a DF with D pods
    - Drop 2 pathfinders

You should have about 35 spare points. Just put it into a HW drone controller on the 'el and a couple of shield drones or something similar.

+ Reply to Thread