<1000 1.5k Sky Serpents list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

1.5k Sky Serpents list

After much playtesting, I think a Duke list would work pretty well for me, this is what I came up with

Duke Sliscus

The Entourage
    (8 Trueborn)
    6 shardcarbines
    2 splinter cannons
    Dracon with agoniser
    Raider w/ FF, NS, GT, SP

10 Wyches
    Shardnet
    Hekatrix with agoniser
    Raider w/ FF, GT, SP

10 Wyches
    Shardnet
    Hekatrix w/ agoniser
    Raider w/ FF, GT, SP

5 Warriors
    Blaster
    Venom w/ NS, extra cannon

5 Warriors
    Blaster
    Venom w/ NS, extra cannon

Ravager
    FF, NS

Ravager
    FF, NS

Ravager
    FF, NS

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

I almost always use the duke. I tend to run wych heavy so the combat drugs roll is awesome. And deepstriking all vehicles is a good utility, especially in things like dawn of war where our glass cannons can get shattered bit by bit at range. Don't forget he has a blast pistol though (I always forget It.)

Anyway let me know how the 5 man warrior squads work out for you. They seem too fragile to me so I haven't used them. But if you have luck I may try them.

It feels anti-armor light to me, but I may be discounting the effectiveness of triple-ravager.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of bells and whistles in this list. Dracon and agonizer are extras you don't need, as are the huge amount of points you used on vehicle upgrades. You're not gonna scare any SW or IG lists that's for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

this isn't necesarily a tourney list or a list for use against 2 specific armies. Its supposed to be a balance between fluff and and friendly level competition. I'll give my reasons for some of the selections you have issues with if you could then tell me what you would spend the points on instead of the extras.

First thing is the Dracon with the Agonizer. My reasoning for this is that in a pinch, the trueborn unit with dracon and duke can actually swing a pretty hefty stick in close combat. I understand that if all things went perfectly I dont ever want that unit in close combat, but in my years of playing I have learned to never rely on the plan I had before the game actually started, because crap always hits the fan at least once per game.

The only really superfluous vehicle upgrades I can see are maybe the shock prows and possibly the grisly trophies.

In my area there are enough GK players and melta spamming players to make the night shields worth it in an all comers list, though I could be convinced to drop them for a great alternate suggestion for using the points. The Shock prows are there for mostly fluff reasons, but also to provide utility in case the weapon gets destroyed on the raiders so I can still use it to ram vehicles or tank shock a unit off an objective. The fluff reasoning is that the Duke is willing to do and sacrifice anything to kill an enemy ship with style and flair. I think he would do the same thing on the battlefield with ramming his raiders into enemy transports and the like.

I like the trophies for the leadership reroll, thats about it. This is the upgrade I am most ok with getting rid of.

So again, if you can give me some alternate suggestions for using those points I would be most happy to consider them.

-EDIT-

If I drop every "unnecessary" vehicle upgrade (keeping the flickerflields) and the dracon I have 115 pts, which would be super useful if I didn't already have 3 ravagers. What would I do with those points to make the list more effective than it was?
    Last edited by Phaeron Typhoon; June 28th, 2011 at 18:01.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are dead set on using Duke, here is a way to quickly edit your list to be more robust.

Duke Sliscus - 366
    8 Trueborn
    6 shardcarbines
    2 splinter cannons
    Raider w/ FF

9 Wyches - 268
    1 Haemonculus w/ Liquifier
    Haywire Grenades
    Hekatrix with agoniser
    Raider w/ FF

9 Wyches - 268
    1 Haemonculus w/ Liquifier
    Haywire Grenades
    Hekatrix w/ agoniser
    Raider w/ FF

5 Warriors - 125
    Blaster
    Venom w/ extra cannon

5 Warriors - 125
    Blaster
    Venom w/ extra cannon

Ravager - 115
    FF

Ravager - 115
    FF

Ravager - 115
    FF

I don't feel like your 2 warrior squads are really neccesarry. I would either create a 3rd Wyche squad like the other 2, or change the warriors to wyches w/ haywires and a shardnet to tie up walkers. You need to give your opponents a reason to not shoot at the duke, whom I'm assuming your are keeping in reserve against high armor lists since they won't be able to shoot at anything. Remember that big expensive unit is riding in a paper airplane. I'm sure you won't be using this list exactly, but take a close look at how flimsy everything is, and decide for yourself.

Fluff wise, you would be using Haywire grenades in a raid, and your list is lacking anti armor. Also why wouldn't the duke have a few pet Haemonculi with him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

Ok, I want to know how much AT a dark eldar list needs to have, because this list has 14 lance weapons ( nearly 1 for each 100 pts) and I figured that would be enough for the majority of my games...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

1 per 100 is about the norm. There's an easier way for you to get a few more though. Just take the two warrior squads in venoms and put them in raiders instead. That's 2 more for no points change depending on upgrades.

I think I have 17 in my 1500 list. It works out alright usually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 dark light weapon per 100 points is a 3rd edition way of thinking about things, it is no longer the staple. 5th edition favors assault over shooting as long as you have a solid means of reaching assault. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to reach that quota, but not at all required. The Haemi/Wyche squads seen above have been tested by multiple players, who all swear by it. Just don't send the Haemi into close combat ever. His job is simply to fly around with the Liquifier and pass his token to the Wyches. The only reason you are able to keep your quota is because Ravagers are so cheap and effective at low points it seems like you are able to keep that quota, but at higher level points you won't be able to keep up. I've tried a shooting based army against IG at 2500, it's not a pretty sight, they will out-shoot you every time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Asdrubal is right, 1 lance per 100points is a 3rd ed way of thinking, it should be more like 1 per 75 points. My 2000 point lists typically have around 25+ Darklight weapons AND a squad of 7 wyches with haywire grenades, and sometimes it doesnt seem like enough. The meta is started to swing away from Assaulting DE (which makes me sad) and favor more shooty DE. I love the NS on vehicles as I was originally against them, but resurgence of 24" range weapons (thanks GK and BA) I have re-embraced them whole heartidly. If I where you, I would try and fit in the haemonculi (1 for each wyche squad), remove the shock prows, and put the 5 man warriors squads in raiders, not venoms (your wyches and trueborn provide the anti infanty) and give the wyches haywire grenades. Points for this could be gotten from dropping the dracon + agonizer, a could of shard carbines and a few wyches.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

I happen to agree with OP on the dracon in this case. Usually it's unnecessary. But that blob is going to be sitting on an objective right? Isn't part of the requirements of winning an objective game to capture them? At some point, this squad is going to get assaulted or be forced to assault something close by. The duke can be targeted individually, and once he's dead the squad has crap for CC. A dracon can't be targeted, adds another 2-3 agoniser attacks, and unless I'm mistaken, gives a little Ld boost as well (also a back-up for the duke.)

For 10 warriors who fly around and shoot, not a necessary upgrade. But for 20 defending your home objective. Well, it's a bad day when that runs off the table because they couldn't inflict enough wounds on power armor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast