<2000 1500 pt Shooty Nids list attempt (pls advise) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pt Shooty Nids list attempt (pls advise)

I've had a mix of luck with Swarming, so wanted to try something different. I am not sure which guns to use on many of these, so I figured I would go to the masses (or in some cases, professionals) for advice. What I have so far:

- Hive Tyrant: TL Devourer, Heavy Venom Cannon, Armored Shell, Leech Essence, Paroxysm
    - Warrior Brood of 4: Deathspitter x3, Barbed Strangler
    - Warrior Brood of 4: Deathspitter x3, Barbed Strangler
    - DOOM with Mycetic Spore: Cluster Spines on the Spore
    - Zoanthrope x3 with Mycetic Spore: Cluster Spines on the Spore
    - Venomthrope x1
    - Tyranofex: Rupture Cannon, Cluster Spines, Thorax Swarm (larvae)
    - Tyranofex: Rupture Cannon, Cluster Spines, Thorax Swarm (larvae)

Overall, not sure how it will perform. I leaned towards the Large plate weapons (Barbed Strangler) over the small plates (Venom Cannon) in most cases.

Re: Hive Tyrant: I gave him the Heavy Venom Cannon for additional anti-tank, over the 2nd TL Devourer, as I'm not sure I have enough out there otherwise. I also considered giving him the Hive Commander ability to get my Doom and Zoans in quicker, as well as Outflank a unit of Warriors.

I do like the Venomthrope for the cover saves for my large monstrous creatures, but I also see how I can rearrange points (dropping him and 2 Warriors) to get to a Harpy. I am debating the Harpy only because I play against a lot of S10 weaponry (hello Tau!).

Doom has often been the MVP of my list, so I hate to leave him now. It certainly helps that he has a great shooting weapon.

I also find the Plate weapons (cluster spines) on the Spores funny, as it forces the opponent to deal with them.

All that being said, I am open to advice. I have all sorts of models available, including:
    - 6 Carnifex models that I can proxy as Tyranofexes, Tervigons, etc.
    - 1 Trygon / Harpy
    - 2 Hive Guard (which surprisingly didn't make it in)
    - 30 Termagants with Devourers
    - 30 GS w/ 3 Brood Lords
    - 10 Gargoyles

Much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

I dont know how effective the list will be, considering you have a total of 18 models! You'll be outnumberd by grey knights! I get what your trying to do, but you need to re-adjust the way your doing it. Namely T-fexs are too costly, and certianly have 2 of them, AND zoanthropes AND the potentail S10 of doom is just ridiculous. If you lose those and sort out the tyrant, you've got a fair bit to work with. Also would you be willing to buy models? Your collection atm isnt the best in world, so could do with some additions.

Right, to start, the tyrant. Lose the HVC. You dont need more high S anti tank, and taking it on a tyrant is an absolute waste (see http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ant-guard.html here for details.) Also switch armoured shell for a tyrant guard, 2 extra wounds and access to easy cover saves is much better. Give him the other set of devourers, or a strangethorn if you prefer.

The warriors are okay, though giving them rending would be handy.

The venomthrope needs numbers. Although i get the need for cover, I think you need that elite slot for hive guard (which you should take 3 of) because your going to need the extra anti tank when those T-fexs go.

Speaking of which, theyre just too costly for this level of points. Biovores are a much much better bet, especially if you want shooty. Best of all 6 biovores is about the same price as 1 T-fex!

With the other points youve got spare, getting more warriors couldnt hurt, although dev guants are also a possibility. It wont be a tournament winner, but it should be okay for friendly games.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, retail, I own near $1k worth of Tyranid models, so I am not interested in buying more (e.g. Biovores). You are right in that this list is more for fun than anything in a tournament.

You did give me some ideas for improvements. I think I will implement:
    - Dropping one of the T-Fexes gives me room for 2 Hive Guard and a Harpy.
    - Switch to 2 Devourers on the Hive Tyrant (and 12 S6 TL shots can still slow down transports)
    - Drop Armored Shell in favor of either Hive Commander or a Tyrant Guard

Other ideas worth considering:
    - Hive Guard over the Venomthrope

I know I'll see a Land Raider or two as well as Terminators, Dreadnaughts, etc. While the list might not be competitive, I don't want to get stomped.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Couple of small things, you want Hive commander on the tyrant anyway, so shove that and the TG on.

The main thing however is that losing one t-fex wont be enough, especially when you simply replace it with more anti tank options. You absoutly must lose both T-fexs and get yourself some serious anti infantry in its stead. Without it youd have 20 models. 20. Thats not going to be enough even for a fun game, your opponents will walk all over you.

I mean seriously look, what do you have that poses a serious threat to MEQ infantry? Doom and the tyrant, possibly thropes if theyre not on raider busting duty. Thats not enough, not by a long chalk. Against horde lists you might be okay but MEQ's will steamroller you currently.

What are the fex's kitted out with? If youve got any dakkafexs then put those in instead of the T-fexs. Biovores would be best but dakkas would be acceptable in their stead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any of my Carnifexes would just have weapons proxied anyway - doesn't matter what they are currently kitted with. It's just for fun games. I will take a look at adding one - I currently have no idea what they can be equipped with. Running 20 Termagant Devourers still sounds like fun as well, but we'll see what points are left.

Interestingly, I often see your advice that people have too little anti-tank in their Tyranid list.., now I have too many. But seriously, will I be okay with no Tyranofexes, 3 Zoans, and 2 Hive Guard at 1500 pts? I'm used to running Tau with 6 TL Rail Guns at that size, let alone the Missile Pods on the suits, which is a lot more firepower than what I'm bringing here. The advantage here is that Tyranids can just walk up the battlefield and Assault just fine when the time comes.

I can see how 20 models isn't a lot, but when you count Wounds instead of Models, it adds up quite quickly (my first list is ~60 Wounds). On the flip side, more models = more guns...

I'll post an updated list likely tonight or tomorrow.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

344 (x8)

It is a bit ironic I must admit, but it seems that people assume (incorrectly) that you can use MC's as reliable anti tank. So they take minimalistic ranged anti tank. In this case youve gone too far the other way, and havnt included any decent anti infantry It makes a nice change anyway.

On the anti tank front, Id usually worry, but its not a competitive list, so its less of an issue. Unless your local area is mech heavy, you should be okay. Regarding the models vs wounds issue, its worth noting you have about 58 wounds. But 24 of those wounds (the warriors) are very vulnerable to S8 weapons. Its a rare list that doesnt have at least one large blast at S8 and that'll decimate your warriors. Whilst the T-fexs will be much tougher, theyre not that offensivly powerful, same goes for the spore. So I think its more fragile than youve perhaps accounted for.

As for fex loadout, twin devourers or devourers plus stranglehorns would bes suit your list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated list:

- Hive Tyrant: TL Devourer, Stranglethorn Cannon, Hive Commander, Leech Essence, Paroxysm
    - Warrior Brood of 3: Deathspitter x3, Barbed Strangler (attached to Hive Tyrant to start game)
    - Warrior Brood of 4: Deathspitter x3, Barbed Strangler (Outflank)
    - DOOM with Mycetic Spore: Cluster Spines on the Spore
    - Zoanthrope x3 with Mycetic Spore: Cluster Spines on the Spore
    - Carnifex x1: TL Devourer, Stranglethorn Cannon
    - Harpy x1: TL Heavy Venom Cannon, Cluster Spines
    - Hive Guard x2
    - Genestealers x6 w/ Toxin + Broodlord

I figures the GS are good as an additional troop choice, and even though they are not "shooty", they have destroyed their fair share of vehicles for me.

I like the Stranglethorns for the range, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to do any shooting on turn 1....

Thoughts? Is this an improvement? I feel weird without the Tyranofex.
    Last edited by regleant; July 22nd, 2011 at 03:25.

Senior Member Hive Fleet Macarbe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

My two cents here- I would drop the warriors for gaunts. They soak up lots of points and as mentioned above guants are a cheap way to buff out your side of the table model wise.

At 1.5k I run this as my anti-tank:
    4x Hive Guards
    And depending on the list im playing I slot in a Tyrannofex just to be safe- you have plenty of anti-tank, so your safe there. But drop the TS on the Genestealers, they soak up precious points.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So as it turns out, I lost horribly, twice, due to not enough anti-tank. So I am adding back in the T-fexes. The list I was up against:

CSM
    - Lash Prince with wings
    - Defiler x2 with close combat weapons
    - Abaddon and 9 Khorne in a Land Raider
    - 5 Plague Marines in a Rhino w/ Plasma (I could have the number wrong)
    - 5 Plague Marines in a Rhino w/ Melta (I could have the number wrong)

This just ran me over like a speed bump. I couldn't stop the Land Raider from getting into Assault range, and the 2 Defilers did their thing before the Zoans dropped in to help. Add Demon Posessed, and it was over for me at end of turn 3. Truly, the Genestealers and Broodlord were the MVP's of my list.

HFM - When Toxin Sacs are 3 points per model, 6 x 3 = 18 points. What else would you expect me to do with 18 points?
    Last edited by regleant; July 26th, 2011 at 17:49.

+ Reply to Thread