<2000 Joining 40k and "the swarm" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joining 40k and "the swarm"

Hellow everyone,

Im from Chile, and currently I play Warmachine and Hordes a lot in my area. Now I'm starting a tyranid army.

I have an Idea of the models I want, but I would like to be at least a little bit competitive for scenarios tourneys.

I'm starting with the basic box, I already got a Trygon, and a Malanthrope (to perform as hive tyrant), adding tyranid warriors and venonthropes the match with the Cthulu fashion of the Malanthrope.

As I can notice, a good tyranid force, can't be good at everything, so I would like to be engaging in combat (genestealer, warriors, trygon, and winged Tyrant), and holding objectives with the terma - tervigon, and a shooting Tyrant.

The list is:

HQ:
    Hive Tyrant
    Wings, Boneclaws x2, A.G., T.G., Regen. Antiques Adversaries, Acidic Blood

Hive Tyrant
    venom cannon, Devourer, Hard Carpace, T.G. Horror.

Venomthrope ( x2 )

Termagant ( 30 ) Fleshborer
    Tervigon ( 1 ), A.G, T.G., Calatizer (idduno in english)

Genestealer ( 8 ) T.G.

Tyranid Warriors ( 6 ) Boneclaws, Devourer

Ripper Swarm ( 6 )

Trygon ( 1 ) T.G., A.G., Regen

=
    1750 points

It's my first attempt, If you recommend me another list but kind of similar with big tyranid bugs, I will be glad =)

Thanks in Advance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I love that you are going with a theme for your army. Warhammer would be a better game if more people had that mentality.

For your list as a competitive force goes, I have only a few suggestions for you.

All the Toxic Sacs (Or Toxic Glands as it is translated for you) these are unneeded for the Tyrant, and Trygon as you will actually Wound less often. Remove them from any thing with Strength greater then 4.

My only major changes i would make to the list is to take out the Rippers. In 5th Edition i have never found a use for Rippers. You might still want them though if you are trying to increase your lists points. In addition, Pick of you want the Warriors for Close Combat or for shooting. Having then divide their role will just lessen their effectiveness. Also, I would only use a Squad of 30 Termaguants if you already have plenty of Extra Termaguants for your Tervigon. If you do have enough then keep them large. I have had games that i have made almost 30 extra Termaguants with my Tervigon, and some times only 6 are made. My rule of thumb is have 15-20 Extra for each Tervigon. On average your going to make 10 of them for 2 turns of the game.

Other then this, you have a good list. With some experience you'll learn what you want extra for the list.
    Army's used: Space Wolves, Tomb Kings, High Elves, Tyranids, Tau and Eldar.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

For starters ill second everything Willance said, its good sound advice and doesnt need repeating

To add a little however, youve over-upgraded some of your units, in particular the big bugs. If you trimmed down the less effective upgrades you could have a much better list. For example the tyrants. The winged one has what im guessing is 2 scything tallons? (they grant re-rolls to hit anyway) but also has Antiques Adversaries (which I belive grants the prefered enemy rule correct?) If so theres no need to have both, so you could lose that. As Willance says you shouldnt have toxin sacs/glands on anything above S4, and tyrants dont need AG either, theyre already faster than most things and S6 is plenty, so ditch that. Acidic blood is also very situational and not really worth taking. Regen is NEVER worth taking, its unlikey to even generate 1 wound back on a 6 wound model, nevermind a 4 wound one like a tyrant. Losing all those should have gained you 50 points at least!

The other tyrant doesnt need the horror either. Most of the game is either LD9/10 or fearless so its very very unlikley you ever actuallly get anything from the horror. Also i never recogmend VCs on tyrants, its outperformed by the stranglethorn cannon and devourers for anti infantry and is a waste if shot at a tank. Lose this for one of the other 2 guns.

With the Trygon, lose all the upgrades. A.G can be useful, but get some experince without it first, then see if you really need the extra strength and Initative. I find you dont. Making it a Prime can be handy if you need the syanpse.

Lose the rippers but 30 guants is very good. The warriors I actually prefer to leave with devourers on. Its nice to have the option should you find yourself out of range. Also 5 tends to be fine, 6 is a bit much usually.

With all those points you saved grabbing some anti tank is a prioritory. You should have enough for 3 Hive guard, which are a must have. You need anti tank in every good nid list and they're one of the best ways to get it.

Good luck!
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your comments, you really took your time to answer my thread. When i take off the upgrades I got plenty of points to spend, so I added the hive guard ( x3 ) and one tyrant guard to the shooting HQ.

I have 18 extra Termagant to use for the Tervigon's spawn ability.

The warriors will stay at 6 and their equipment will be a Boneclaw and the Devourer.

HQ:
    Hive Tyrant
    Wings, Boneclaws x2

Hive Tyrant
    Stranglethorn cannon, Devourer, Hard Carpace.
    Tyrant Guard ( x1 )

Venomthrope ( x2 )
    Hive Guard ( x3 )

Termagant ( 30 ) Fleshborer
    Tervigon ( 1 ) Catalizer

Genestealer ( 8 )

Tyranid Warriors ( 6 ) Boneclaws, Devourer

Trygon Prime ( 1 )

=
    1746 points

When I will get the models and play the list would like to see if its better to have the warriors with 2 scything talons, or if its better to add more fire power.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your comments.
    Last edited by TALGARD; August 9th, 2011 at 18:42.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

A couple of small clarifications that really I should have caught earlier

I forgot to mention, but Hard carapace really isnt worth in on tyrants, you should have a cover save thanks to the guard with him and most weapons that head his way are AP2 or ignore saves. So lose that one.

Also I probably should have said, the tervigon should keep his upgrades since he can give them to guants to make them useful. So leave catalyser on, but also add toxin sacs and adrnenal glands. Its not really for him, its just much cheaper than putting it on guants.

Lastly I didnt realise before, but warriors should always have rending claws as a minimum. However i thought youd given them boneswords (its the power weapon option, dont know what its called in your book) but i now realise you gave them tallons. The power weapons are a much better option, even if you have to lose a warrior to get them. Warriors with 2 tallons kinda suck from experince.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Heirodule ,

Thanks for the clarification, The list remain really similar but with the weapons to the Warriors you'd suggest. Also without the Carpace Upgrade.

I'm enthusiastic with this new army =D, I'll be posting the progress on the painting somewhere on the forums!

+ Reply to Thread