<2000 1850 Urien coven list - casual/tourney - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

1850 Urien coven list - casual/tourney

I've got a semi-casual tourney in a few months, and I'm playing with moving from a kabal/all-rounder list to a coven biased one, built around Urien Rakarth and what I have already built. This is the first draft:

HQ1 Urien Rakarth (rides with Grots)

HQ2 Haemonculus, power weapon, liquifier (rides with TR3)
    HQ2 Haemonculus, power weapon, hexrifle (rides with TR4)

EL1 4 x Grotesques, Urien upgrades, liquifier, Raider + flickerfield

TR1 10 x Kabalite warriors, blaster, SC, Raider
    TR2 8 x Wyches, haywire grenades, Hekatrix + agoniser, Raider
    TR3 8 x Wracks, liquifier, Acothyst + agoniser, Raider
    TR4 8 x Wracks, liquifier, Acothyst + hexrifle, venom blade

FA1 4 x Scourges, 2 blasters

HV1 Talos, TL haywire blasters, chainflails
    HV2 Talos, TL haywire blasters, chainflails
    HV3 Ravager, 3 DLs, nightshield, flickerfield

I am concerned this list will be especially weak vs terminator wrecking balls and carpark lists. Can anyone suggest tweaks? I was thinking, for instance, of reducing/removing the kabalite warriors to add in a venom and blaster-toting Trueborns.

Many thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewthotep View Post
    I've got a semi-casual tourney in a few months, and I'm playing with moving from a kabal/all-rounder list to a coven biased one, built around Urien Rakarth and what I have already built. This is the first draft:

HQ1 Urien Rakarth (rides with Grots)Urien is ok, not great, the extra pain tokens are cool but in HTH he kind of sucks, his main use is upgrading grotesques to str6 so they can butcher tanks and infantry alike, they will have issues against dreads and landraiders though

HQ2 Haemonculus, power weapon, liquifier (rides with TR3)
    HQ2 Haemonculus, power weapon, hexrifle (rides with TR4) your army relies on getting close so get a liquifier gun and give one of them the shattershard too, even as a ranged weapon the hexrifle isn't great, only use i can see for this is against nids when it would be worth its points, too expensive an upgrade for its points

EL1 4 x Grotesques, Urien upgrades, liquifier, Raider + flickerfield(solid choice)

TR1 10 x Kabalite warriors, blaster, SC, Raiderno raider?
    TR2 8 x Wyches, haywire grenades, Hekatrix + agoniser, Raiderput a heamoniculos here
    TR3 8 x Wracks, liquifier, Acothyst + agoniser, Raideragoniser or any other upgrade is not worth it, you lose their extra attack for not having two special weapons of the same type
    TR4 8 x Wracks, liquifier, Acothyst + hexrifle, venom bladesame again venom blade or any other upgrade is not worth it, you lose their extra attack for not having two special weapons of the same type, swap hex rifle for liquifier gun

FA1 4 x Scourges, 2 blastersshould be five scourges, you might want haywire launchers instead they are better

HV1 Talos, TL haywire blasters, chainflailssolid choice
    HV2 Talos, TL haywire blasters, chainflailssolid choice
    HV3 Ravager, 3 DLs, nightshield, flickerfieldsolid choice, though you only have one, expect it to be popped fast

I am concerned this list will be especially weak vs terminator wrecking balls and carpark lists. Can anyone suggest tweaks? I was thinking, for instance, of reducing/removing the kabalite warriors to add in a venom and blaster-toting Trueborns.

Many thanks.
    The main issue with this army other than the small tweaks i told ya are a few missing raiders and a WWP, don't expect your talos to get up the field, you need a WWP to do a proper coven army right when using talos they are too slow, you could drop all the skimmers, get a WWP delivery system, keep the same type of army and adjust it to be better, but walking on from the portal. then it means that your opponent has to stop the waves of a very resiliant army who pack a punch to boot. I have been having some success with these types of armies, still trying to figure it out though.

If you can rewrite it i'll be glad to retweak it, keeping the same type of units and feel of the army, i love these types of armies.
    Last edited by dizzie; September 1st, 2011 at 15:01.
    If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Edit: Dizzie ninjad my response, so might have duplicate advies

Hi Andrew,

I agree with the point in including a Blaster Trueborn squad, they are a very good AT option which brings also 12x Poisonus shooting. I would put 5x Warrior Blaster in a Venom as 4th troop choice.

I don't see the point in taking Hexrifles, poisonous shooting do the trick. Personally I'm testing Power Weapons on Haemies too but I think they can be targetted very fast in Combat and will die very soon. One power fist can prove too much for them. On the other hand taking an Agoniser on an Acothyst is a more sure investment, in terms of survival but he does lose is extra attack do to having poisonous (4+) CC attacks. So I would rather put a PW instead to limit the cost since you will have S4 on the charge.

Taloi can be fun but I learned them to be too slow if you don't include a WWP. In tournaments they only would use Haywire blaster and get shot just before they hit the lines. I would put only one and replace the other by a Ravager or a Razorwing Jetfighter if you can find the points.
    And if you put in the WWP you would have a good way to deploy TR4 wracks instead of foot slogging from the table edge or hoping for their Hexrilfe to do anything. You might also drop the Raider for TR2 wych and have them come out of the WWP too and this gives you the points for FF and NS on the other skimmers.

Scourges are cool but not really to most cost-effective AT option, if you do take them I would advice Haywire Blasters in stead of Blasters, they are less expensive and provide more chance to stun-lock vehicles.

I see almost none of your Raiders has a Flickerfield nor Night Shield, I know investing in those seems futile but anything that does improves their survival is important. So I would invest first in those before spending on PW or Agonisers on non-combat characters.
    Last edited by El_Jairo; September 1st, 2011 at 15:59. Reason: Ninja

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Good responses, thanks!

There should be a raider on TR4 - my bad.

It didn't occur to me changing the assault weapon loadouts on the acothysts would remove their +A for two special weapons. I kinda assumed the second weapon would still count as CCW as a backup to the new one. But not according to the rules as written.

If I go WWP and drop Urien for a haemy ancient (lotta love for the ancient - it's a beast in assault), I can afford to bulk out the wych and wrack squads, but I lose even more darklances. Adding defences to the raiders seems like a reasonable choice here, and maybe I can squeeze in a tiny venom squad or two.

I'll post a revised list in a couple of days.

+ Reply to Thread