<1000 New to hobby, need advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to hobby, need advice

Hello,

I've been interested in Warhammer 40000 just recently through the Dawn of War 2 game.
    I thought the tabletop counterpart was very interesting and read the rulebook and codex through "dark routes" just to get the feel of it.

After some days of "study and research", I thought of this following list to start with:

Tyranid Prime: bone swords, adrenal gland
    3x Hive Guard
    20 Hormagaunts: adrenal gland, toxin sac
    2x 20 Termagants: devourer
    2x Tervigon: scything talons, adrenal gland, toxin sac, catalysist
    Trygon Prime: adrenal gland
    Total 1500

or

Tyranid Prime: bone swords, adrenal gland
    2x Hive Guard
    2x 20 Termagants: devourer
    2x Tervigon: scything talons, adrenal gland, toxin sac, catalysist
    2x Trygon Prime: adrenal gland
    Total 1500

According to what I learned from past few days, this list should be fairly balanced in many aspect.
    But what do I know, which is the reason why I post this here.
    I would appreciate comments, criticisms, suggestions, and if possible tips on actual battles for I've never played on tabletop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Both pretty decent, but both of them really only have the hive guard as anti tank unless you can somehow get the MC into cc. Here is how I would run it:

Prime: bone swords, deathspitter, AG

3x Hive guard
    2x Zoanthropes

20 Hormaguants: AG, TS
    20 Termagants: Devourer
    Tervigon: Scything Talons, AG, TS, Catalyst
    3x Warriors: Bone Swords, Devourer, AG, Venom Cannon

Trygon Prime: Ag
    3x Biovores

This gives you good synapse, good anti tank, and a good number of models. Some people will prob critique my list as well, but I feel like having the full squad of HG and at least 2 zoeys will give it more of a punch.

4. Thanksxela0301 thanked for this post.
    Likexela0301 liked this post.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Both lists are pretty good for a first timer, but suffer from a crippling flaw in each. Devourer guants are very poor. VERY very poor. 20 devourer guants will kill a total of 5 marines (which are the most common army type by a mile, so you cant go wrong with presuming youll be up against an MEQ, or marine equivalent: S4, T4 3+ save), assuming you take no casualties what so ever. In the grand scheme of things this is VERY unlikely to actually work and for 200 points that's a lot for some seriously fragile models. Also Termaguants are amazingly good in CC when buffed by a tervigon, doubly so if they have a tyranid prime in there. If you take devourers, you're losing out on range fire.

So youll want to lose those for starters, which will free up a whole heap of points.

Secondly, your a bit light on anti tank. Hive guard are awsome, but you need more. I never run a list without 2 broods of 3. Theyre just that good. Nidsguard's is better, but zoanthropes ALWAYS need a mycetic spore. Not having one means you get obliterated slogging up the field. You've played DoW2, how easy is it to bust a zoanthrope open? Well imagine that for a fair while and you cant retaliate or stop them shooting you. Now add in the fact that zoanthropes have massive offensive potential, and opponents will target them whenever possible.

So with your lists, the second one is very strong and only needs a couple of tweaks to be very very effective. Lose the devourers on the termaguants and the adrenal glands on the Trygon Primes. Also take tallons off the tervigon, they really dont want to be in CC if you can avoid it, so thats some more points to play with.

So that leaves you with 230 points if my maths is right. First thing to do is buy another 2 Hive guard, for a total of 4. Then you'll want to get another 5 guants per brood, 25 in each. This means youve got 80 points to play with. You could lose the prime upgrade on a trygon for a respectable 120. This should be used to grab a second tyranid prime, whilst giving the first some upgrades. "Pair of Boneswords, Rending claws and Adrenal glands/Toxin sacs (personal preference really)" Is the best set up for them. This means you can put a prime in each big brood for some really nasty punch.

Do all that and you'll have yourself a very effective list! Best of luck and welcome to both the Tabletop and the forum!
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

6. Thanksxela0301 thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

I agree about the devil gaunts. Ive never been fond of them, but I figured it was something he wanted due to models or whatever. Dropping the devourers and possibly their number is a good way to free up points on that list. I usually run a unit of 10 plain gaunts to screen or sit on an objective in cover.

Zoeys are very good with a pod, but I dont think that they MUST have one if the points are the difference between getting something like another one or something else better. Ive had very good luck with them starting on the field hitting marines or what have you from 24" with warp blast. Plus sometimes when using a pod Ive had the zoeys sit out till the last turn. Granted though if you play a lot of meched up stuff a pod would be great to hit rear armor on a line of tanks.

Now you can have a list like this with those changes
    Prime: BS, AG, Dev

2x Hive Guard
    2x Hive Guard
    2x Zoeys

20x Hormaguants: AG, TS
    3x Warriors: BS, AG, VC, Dev
    10x Termaguants
    Tervigon: AG, TS, Cat

Trygon Prime: AG
    3x Biovores

This gives you 105 pts to play with. You can either go for another Zoey and a Pod, or another upgraded Prime. If your facing something that you know the biovores wont be to effective against you could drop those as well to free up some more points.
    Last edited by nidsNguard; September 2nd, 2011 at 01:19.

8. Thanksxela0301 thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, thank you three for the reply.
    After reading the posts, it seems that the general consensus is
    1. Include a squad of warriors (range oriented than CC)
    2. Take out a squad of termgants and tervigon
    3. Devourer isn't worth it

Now this takes me aback as few of them are the opposite of what I found out in my "research":
    1. Warriors are too vulnerable
    2. Take many tervigons, all as troop choice
    3. Devilgants are good

I interpreted the above from what "Matt" said on "Miniwargaming" channel in YouTube.

Well, I don't have preference on models with devourers. I added thinking it was effective.

I like the models of the Warriors, but I really don't like the fact that the box don't have all the sprues for the options.
    Tyranid Prime is an exception as I wanted a cheap HQ. I thought of having one of the tervigons but then I read that tervigons MUST go as troops.

But I wanted to go on a balanced but leaning more toward to a swarming horde than elite few.
    However, if you know of good horder list without taking Tervigons, please tell me because I don't like the fact that Games Workshop actually don't have the model for it.

After tweaking with the suggestions and criticisms in mind, I got the following:

Tyranid Prime: Boneswords, Adrenal Gland, Devourer

2x Hive Guard
    2x Hive Guard
    2x Zoanthrope: Mycetic Spore

20 Hormagaunts: Adrenal Gland, Toxin Sac
    2x 20 Termagants
    2x Tervigon: Adrenal Gland, Toxin Sac, Catalyst

Trygon Prime: Adrenal Gland

Now how does this list look? I try to take all the suggestions with some personal preferences.
    Please keep on giving me advices, I really appreciate. Also, all the statements I made is what I "heard", so correct me if something is incorrect.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by xela0301 View Post
    First of all, thank you three for the reply.
    After reading the posts, it seems that the general consensus is
    1. Include a squad of warriors (range oriented than CC)
    2. Take out a squad of termgants and tervigon
    3. Devourer isn't worth it
    That's..... interesting advice to say the least. And not in a good way. I honestly havent used warriors in god knows how long, because against certain armies they just dont last, T4 with a shoddy save is just begging to be pie plated into the middle of the next millennium. Also I think setting up a squad of warriors for range over CC is absolute madness. Matt is, of course, entitled to his opinion but litterally nothing about warriors screams good ranged unit to me. Fairly short ranged guns, with high AP on reasonably fragile (from shooting anyway) and expensive platforms and only BS 3 if you dont include a prime.... why on earth would you set them up as shooty? In contrast a mighty 3 attacks, with cheap power weapons, seriously impressive weapon skill for a troops choice and 3 wounds sets them up to be an amazing assaulting unit. Toxin sacs means they'll take out just about anything in the game whilst adrenals are very handy for some I5 goodness.

Id also be sceptical about losing a tervigon. If your making a swarm list there are two vital things to take. Firstly, a pair of tervigons. Secondly, 2 large broods of termaguants for them to walk with. Some lists can work around 1 tervigon but 2 is nearly always better unless your short on points.

Devilguants.... well just no. 10 points, not massivly good at shooting, and fragile as heck. Devourers should be left to MC's and the occasional warrior brood, they're just overcosted otherwise.

Anyway the list looks absolutely fine, only thing Id change is losing the devourer on the prime for rending claws, just incase of dreadnoughts or other walkers

Also to address NidsNguard's point about thropes, the problem with slogging is that your then really really fragile and exposed to small arms fire. 2 zoanthropes are about as survivable as 4 regular marines. Nobody in their right mind is going to allow something that easy to kill to advance up the board without eating shots. If they do, more fool them because that's a very basic error to make. That's why the pod is so essential, it gets them in without being targeted. You don't need it for rear armour shots, its got a S10 AP1 Lance!!! Spores allow you to drop thropes safely and soundly in the middle of the board where they can start to do their magic.

Also Id almost always run them with Hive commander, to ensure they turn up quicker. With HC you're guaranteed to get them turn 4 at the latest and theres only a 5% chance of them not being in by turn 3. Even without HC your still very likely to have them turn up by turn 3 and the chances of them not showing up till the last turn as you describe are less than 1 in 50. Id take that tiny chance over the certainty of them being shot up by an opponent anyday.
    Last edited by Heirodule; September 2nd, 2011 at 03:19.

11. Thanksxela0301 thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I thought that the two posts by nidsNguard was written by different people. I should have payed attention haha.
    So I'll go ahead and make the new list as a reference material (changing the devourer to rending claws).

Now for the actual modeling, I was wondering if people would be okay to use scything talons as boneswords and carnifex as tervigon.
    Both of these are not available through "official" way and I'm seeing there are people using these substitutions.

So I'm planning buy the following:
    1 Battlebox (ordered them already)
    1 box of hormagaunt (28 in total - im planning to play around with 8 of them for practice)
    4 boxes of termagant (64 in total - 40 regulars and 24 for tervigons)
    2 packs of hive guard
    2 packs of zoanthrope
    2 boxes of carnifex
    1 box of trygon

Now the problem is the mycetic spore. I have no idea how to make this for I'm really not confident in building from scratch.
    Is Games Workshop gonna release the models that are not for sale anytime soon?

Oh and if there is something that I should really change, please tell me before I start purchasing the rest of the army.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

344 (x8)

People convert models they don't have from existing models frequently, just making a carnifex and calling it a tervigon might not be looked too well upon (known as proxying, its allowed in certain groups but not others) but if you take a carnifex and spruce it up a bit, add some termaguants spawning out of it or something then that should be just fine.

My boneswords are made from tallons painted bone. Seeing as Ive got the rest of the tallons painted a different colour, its obvious whats what. Not the most imaginative thing in the world but it works.

Only thing is if Im not mistaken your only buying 2 packs of hive guard when youll need 4?

14. Thanksxela0301 thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a note on converting, i made a tervigon out of a carnifex by reversing the abdomen to make it stand upright, reversed the carapace and then packed out the front of the abdoment with green stuff as a birthing sack with some spare termagant heads and arms poking out, looks like the picture in the codex and never had anyone complain that they dont know what it represents.

16. Thanksxela0301 thanked for this post.
+ Reply to Thread