<2000 1750 Wych/Venom Build Semi-Competetive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Oh No! Not Him Again! Non Marine Player's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x2)

1750 Wych/Venom Build Semi-Competetive

I've been trying out lots of different builds, mixed, Kabal, Wych Cult, to try and find a build that I truly enjoy playing and have success with. I was thinking after a loss vs a Mycetic Spore/Outflanking Stealers Nid player how well my small venom mounted Wych units did against the more isolated sections of his army. This got me thinking, and I made a little list to try and test out multiple units of these. I have only managed a few games at my local club but the results have been relatively positive so far. However, for a more serious competetive view, I need a hand from the Web Kabal here at LO:

HQ:
    Succubus - Ago, Haywires - 90

Troops:
    5 Wyches - HG, Hekatrix, Ago, Haywires, Venom, ESC - 165
    5 Warriors - Blaster, Raider, FF, Sails - 135
    5 Warriors - Blaster, Raider, FF, Sails - 135

Elites:
    4 Bloodbrides - HG, Haywires, Syren, Ago, Venom, ESC - 165
    10 Wracks - 2 LG, Acothyst, Ago, Raider, FF - 220

Heavy Support:
    Ravager - FF - 115
    Ravager - FF - 115
    Ravager - FF - 115

Total - 1750

The idea is that the troops take the flanks in groups of 2 Wyches and a Warriors Squad, whilst the Ravagers take tank-popping duty and the Wracks feign a rush, the Bloodbrides and Succubus providing excellent combat support to deal with dangerous threats. The plan is to dismount the enemy completely, ridding them of their dangerous heavy armour and leaving the rest as pickings for the Venoms/Wyches and the Wracks. The list is of course in preliminary stages, but ways to improve it without making it generic would be taken on and considered. Thanks for the time pre-emptively.

NMP

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x3)

I'd be tempted to get a Raider for your Bloodbrides. 6 of them with be ideal as you get 2 Imp&shardnets. That's the only reason to take bloodbrides IMO. The added damage soaking in addition to the succubi and syren is more likely to turn the tide on their own, as well as reducing incoming attacks on the succubi herself. As well as giving the raider NS and FF. It's your flagship-unit, after all.

I sort of miss a haemonculi in the list. The 2nd token he'd grant your wracks means the unit itself is a guinine threat. Haemie with Venom blade and liq gun(you don't actually lose one by adding the haemie). You also get a solid scoring unit into the bargain. Dropping one wych or warrior unit is worth it as the unit can fill a similiar role to your wyches but can help taking on the high T units more effeciently.

Lastly, night shields are your ravagers 2nd best friend(after the FF). There should be points left for all three if apply the above changes.

Cheers, D.
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

94 (x2)

Ok, taking those changes into consideration, I'd rather take a Wych Venom squad away, considering the Warriors are my extra anti-tank pop-men. This also gives me more points to spend on upgrades and the Haemy.

HQ:
    Succubus - Ago, Haywires - 90
    Haemy - Venom Blade, Liquifier - 65

Troops:
    5 Wyches - Gauntlet, Haywires, Hekatrix, Ago, Venom, ESC - 165
    5 Warriors - Blaster, Raider, FF, NS, Sails - 145
    5 Warriors - Blaster, Raider, FF, NS, Sails - 145
    9 Wracks - Liquifier, Acothyst, Ago, Raider, FF, NS - 210

Elites:
    6 Bloodbrides - 2 Shardnets, Haywires, Syren, Ago, Raider, FF, NS, Sails - 225

Heavy Support:
    Ravager - FF, NS - 125
    Ravager - FF, NS - 125
    Ravager - FF, NS - 125

Total - 1750

Seems good, anyone else's input about the list or the idea is welcome too, will start playtesting this one.

NMP
    Last edited by Non Marine Player; October 9th, 2011 at 17:39. Reason: Stupid Maths Error

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I would replace the Gauntlet on your Wyche sqauds, for S&I or simply drop them to add Grisley Trophies on some rides or NS on their Venoms.
    Or did you add them with a specific enemy in mind? I'm quite disappointed with the wyche special weapons: it cost as much as a wyche and doesn't bring much special, apart from the S&I.

I don't see the point of Sails on the Warrior Raiders but maybe you want to be able to reposition very fast...

I think that 15 Dark matter weapons might be rather low on 1750, I would consider to switch a unit wyches for 3x Blaster Trueborn. As you said, you need to pop those transports.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

94 (x2)

The point of the Gauntlets is to add extra hitting power to the unit, if I need to do some stally combat then the Bloodbrides are generally my go-to girls, as that's the thing that comes to mind to me with S&I. I think that, with all the haywires in my army, that if I can use my current weapons to immobilise then destroy the tanks/transports. The point of this army is to centralise my Wyches, so ideally I'd rather not drop another squad. I usually abide by the 1 Darklight weapon per 100 points rule, but with the amount of haywires as well I think that it makes up for it. The sails on the warrior raiders are mainly there for filler, as I couldn't think of what else to use, but I don't see the point of NS on Venoms, as they're pretty close range it doesnt seem logical to me. Grisley trophies could be an idea though.

Thanks,
    NMP

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

The hitting power from wyches typically comes from the Agoniser. But feel free to experiment but I feel the Gauntlet doesn't bring on average what you would pay 10 points for.
    Since Bloodbribes pack 1 more attack, I reckon this would be the place to look for CC efficiency. The S&I are there to protect your Succubus, to keep her killing things.

I wouldn't expect too much from 5 men Wyche with HwG, I think it might pay off to bump those squads to 7 and put them in a Raider. This gives you some extra AT and 7 HwG have a little more chance on hitting those tanks still moving.

Why Night Shields: because even small arms fire hurts our skimmers. For example: Bolter can hurts us from 24" 1 shot or from 18" moving in for rapid fire. With Night Shield these distances become 18" and 12", which are far better for us: if you stay away 19", they can't hurt you, and wyches can move up disregarding diff terrain for 20" + run. So this will tell you that NS can dramatically upgrade the survivability of your vehicles: you shouldn't think about AT weapons: if they can target our transport, something bad is going to happen to them but if you can limit the incoming S4 fire you will be able to strike back.

Just my 2 cents.

+ Reply to Thread