<2000 1750 tournament (in Feb) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

1750 tournament (in Feb)

Ok. I'm making my first tourney list for Tau. I went to my first one (this October) as orks and tied for first and won best painted. I'm hoping to do similar this tourney as well, but it's a bigger tourney (40+ players vs 20ish). I have 2 lists here. 1 is all models I own. 1 requires me to buy more. I'm asking for 2 bits of info.

1) Is it worth it to buy for a tourney in feb if Tau might be getting a rerelease at the same time.
    2) Which list is more competetive and if so why?

List 1: (Requires I buy 3 more crisis suits)

1750 Pts - Tau Empire Roster

HQ:
    Commander Shas'el (HWMT; MP, PR, TA) (97 pts)
    Elite:
    -3 Crisis suits (fireknife loadout) (186 pts)
    -3 Crisis suits (fireknife loadout) (186 pts)
    -3 Crisis suits (Deathrain loadout) with TA's (159 pts)
    Troops:
    -6 Fire Warrior, (60 pts)
    Fast Attack:
    -6 Pathfinder + 1 Devilfish- BC, DP (157 pts)
    -6 Pathfinder + 1 Devilfish- BC, DP (157 pts)
    -1 Piranha FB, TA, DP (75 pts)
    Heavy Support:
    -Hammerhead Gunship (165 pts)
    Railgun/BCs; DP, MT, TA
    Railgun/BCs; DP, MT, TA
    -Broadside Battlesuit (283 pts)
    1 Team Leader Broadside Battlesuit, HW BS filter; HWDC; HWTL; ASS
    2 Broadside Battlesuit -ASS
    2 Shield Drone

List 2: (requires I buy skyray + seeker missiles or attachments for each on ebay)
    HQ:
    Commander Shas'el (HWMT; MP, PR, TA, BS Filter) (100 pts)
    Elite:
    -2 Crisis suits (fireknife loadout) (124 pts)
    -2 Crisis suits (fireknife loadout) (124 pts)
    -2 Crisis suits (Deathrain loadout) with TA's (106 pts)
    Troops:
    Fast Attack:
    -8 Pathfinder + 1 Devilfish- BC, DP + seeker missilex1 (SM) (191 pts)
    -8 Pathfinder + 1 Devilfish- BC, DP +SMx1 (191 pts)
    -2 Piranha FB, TA, DP, FD + SMx2 (190 pts)
    Heavy Support:
    Railgun/BCs; DP, MT, TA
    -Skyray Missile Defence Gunship (155 pts)
    BC's, DP, MT, TA (Do networked markerlights benefit from TA seeing as they aren't marker drones?)
    -Broadside Battlesuit (283 pts)
    1 Team Leader Broadside Battlesuit, HW BS filter; HWDC; HWTL; ASS
    2 Broadside Battlesuit -ASS
    2 Shield Drone

As a quick heads up, I know neither include kroot, Yes I understand their importance but themed lists get extra victory points and this list is themed as "Farsights reinforcements". (farsight without farsight) I was leaning towards list 2 as a result because I have more stuff to throw in the way. (2 piranhas vs 1) Also I included the BS filters as I fear lots of the new necron codex will probably be attending and making nightfight a reality. Also another reason I was looking at the more markerlight heavy list.

Differences summed up:
    List 1: 3 more suits, 2 more PR's, 1 more TL MP, 2 more MP's, 1 more HH Railgun
    List 2: 4 more Pathfinders(makes them more resilient), 6 more Markerlights, 1 more BS filter, 10 more seeker missiles, 1 more piranha, 2 more gundrones, FD's on my piranha's

THANKS FOR READING THAT MUCH!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a competitive tourney, honestly seekers aren't worth it. Sure, only 10 points here or there, but it's another 10 points spent on an uncertainty that instantly dissapear when the vehicle is destroyed. List 1 is waaaay better IMO. Very good list
    "Victory is sweet, blood is sweeter." - Aun'Vre

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the look of list one. It's pretty much exactly what i'd run and i'd be very interested to see how you go with it. My only concern is that if you're going with Farsight themed rules, are you adhering to the 0-1 squad allocation for Pathfinders? It's under Commander Farsight's rules in your Codex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good, just one suggestion.

You may want to find the points to give team leader to each of your crisis teams. For the small cost you get to take advantage of the complex unit rule for wound allocation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

imho, you need to tear it up and start again. With more fire warriors. But that's how I play, and have never been to a tourney.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Firebug
    My only concern is that if you're going with Farsight themed rules, are you adhering to the 0-1 squad allocation for Pathfinders? It's under Commander Farsight's rules in your Codex.
    It is themed Farsight. But not actually using Farsight. Ie there are no allied races. Etc. I'm calling the list Farsight's reinforcements. The idea being I don't necessarily restrict my force org because these tau are defecting to join him. But I don't include kroot or vespids because they would have no loyalty towards the exiled commander.

I'll attach photos when I get home.

As for tearing up the list to include more fws, I have run lists similar to this in the past and find it gives me the localized fire superiority I need as well as the mobility to secure games. Chaos demons being an obvious exception with their invulnerable saves and eternal warrior status and lack of vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I ask why you have so little for troops. Especially for objectives I would think you want them.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

Because it gives me fire superiority. I get the firepower I need to deal with almost any threat.(deepstriking being an inherent weakness) troops do one thing uniquely. That is claim objectives. I can contest any number of objectives and claim 2 that gives me a win. I wouldn't suggest this type of list for beginners but if you know how to protect your troops (ie reserves or in a devil fish in the back) they live long enough that they can be placed safely where they win you the game.

Worst scenario is 5 objectives. I pile in one corner. If they spread out for taking 3 I have the firepower to clear the 2 closest, the speed to contest the furthest 2. And I grab the two I've cleared. I hold 2 contest 2 ignore 1.

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

I much prefer the first list.

It's not quite what I would take (I would always have (at least) one squad of Kroot), but it is very similar to what I would take, given the constraints you've placed on yourself - and I believe it should stand you in good stead.

I like the idea of 2 Pathfinder squads and the fact that you'll then have 'spare' DFs for your 2 FW squads.

That said, I might be tempted to replace one of the Fireknife squads with another Deathrain squad and go for an Ionhead as opposed to the second Railhead. Not sure how many points that will free up but it will give you some extra to play about with. Maybe some more FWs . . . . . .?

Will you let us know how you get on and any lessons learned??

~Raven~
    Last edited by Ravenscraig; January 20th, 2012 at 19:15.

"The choice between good and evil, is made by all who live, with every single heartbeat ... ... ..."

Quote Originally Posted by ZenGamer View Post
    Simple wording. On a forum, any forum, wording is all one has to go by to determine tone and intent.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

Most definitely. I'll post pics of how they are coming along.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast