<2000 Help with 1500 pt. list, new player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pt. list

Edit: I've decided to go with a 2000 point list, wish I could change the title of this thread (maybe I can and am just not seeing it?) I'm going to keep my old 1500 point list up though, even though I won't be running it.

2000 Point List

HQ

Hive Tyrant w/ Wings, Regen, Old Adversary 275

Tyranid Prime 100
    -Double boneswords, rending claws.
    -Regen

Elite

3x Hive Guard 150
    3x Hive Guard 150

3x Zoanthrope w/ Spore 220

Troops

8x Genestealers 112
    8x Genestealers 112

16x Termagants 80

1x Tervigon w/ TS and AG, Catalyst and Regen 230

25x Hormagaunts w/ Toxin Sacs 200

Fast Attack

20x Gargoyles w/ TS and AG 160

HS

1x Trygon w/ AG 210

Total: 1999

Old 1500 Point List

HQ

Tyranid Prime 105
    -Double boneswords, deathspitter.
    -Regen

Elite

2x Hive Guard 100
    2x Hive Guard 100

1x Venomthrope 55

Troops

8x Genestealers w/ Broodlord + Acid Blood 173
    8x Genestealers 112

15x Termagants 75

1x Tervigon w/ Catalyst and Regen 210

15x Hormagaunts w/ Toxin Sacs 120
    15x Hormagaunts w/ Toxin Sacs 120

Fast Attack

10x Gargoyles 60

HS

1x Trygon Prime w/ Regen 265

Total: 1495

Thanks.

Last edited by fearisaphobia; March 1st, 2012 at 09:21.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Welcome to the hive!

To answer your question directly, my initial thought was that this is not going to do well in the competitive scene. And you can't have both a fun AND a competitive army in the one list (unless you consider competitive fun). So choose now and this will decide whether we need to reform your list or we can just make some minor alterations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! After making this thread, I regret not being able to change the title, because I've decided to go for a 2000 point list now for more versatility. I think in the end I want a primarily competitive list, but to be able to easily change it around to make it fun. I'm going to update the first post with my new 2000 point list, and I guess we could go from there. Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by fearisaphobia; March 1st, 2012 at 09:22.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

You're 2000 point list is a lot better than your 1500 point list. I would recommend you just completely scrap that 1500 pointer.

For a competitive army, well at least the competition and flexibility you require, you're going to need two Tervigons, with the load-out of your current Tervigon, (Regeneration costs 30 points by the way, not 35 like you've put it there) with the regeneration only being optional (it's either that or more Termagants, and I'd go for more Termagants if I were you). The generally accepted number of Genestealers in an army (and in a brood) is 10, with Toxin Sacs, and a Broodlord as an additional option (again, if he takes up more points that could be spent on the Termagants, buy the Termagants!).

In this list you should scrap the Hormagaunts. You don't have Hormagaunts in competitive situations, and you especially don't have both Hormagaunts AND Termagants in the same scene if you're playing competitively. Termagants, when accompanied by a Tervigon, do everything a Hormagaunt does and more for less of a cost (with a shooting weapon making up for Fleet and the extra attack). The Tervigon can give Feel No Pain to the Termagants, as well as AG & TS and the Counter-attack rule, and then it spawns more Termagants on top of that. Sounds pretty cool eh?

You got the right idea with the Gargoyles. In fact, it's the perfect idea. If you're going to have Trygons, take two or three, don't take just one. And they really don't need the Adrenal Glands (it is rare that you're going to require your beastie to be S7). Otherwise, take a Tyrannofex - a very flexible unit, mostly taken with Rupture Cannon in the competitive scene, but if you want to give something else a go you can always just use the Acid Spray or the Fleshborer Hive.

The Tyranid Prime is a waste in this list. It's role is redundant, as there are already plenty of Synapse creatures in your army. So I'd suggest you remove it. The Hive Tyrant should be equipped with four Scything Talons if you're going to take it with wings, and Old Adversary isn't necessary. Even replacing a pair of Scything Talons for a pair of Twin-linked Devourers with Brainleech Worms will do you wonders. Another alternative is to scrap wings, take a Tyrant Guard instead and give yourself a HVC and TL Devs. Just try it out and see what you like.

If I were to take a list like yours, I would take:

== HQ ==
    Hive Tyrant (1) - Scything Talons, Twin-Linked Devourer - Brainleech Worms, Wings, Paroxysm, Leech Essence = 245 pts.

== Elites ==
    Hive Guard Brood (3) = 150 pts.
    Hive Guard Brood (3) = 150 pts.
    Zoanthrope Brood (160 pts.)
    --> Zoanthrope (2) = 120 pts.
    --> Mycetic Spore (1) = 40 pts.

== Troops ==
    Tervigon (1) - Scything Talons, Cluster Spines, AG, Toxin Sacs, Cat, Taken As Troops = 200 pts.
    Termagant Brood (30) - Fleshborer = 150 pts.
    Tervigon (1) - Scything Talons, Cluster Spines, AG, Toxin Sacs, Cat, Taken As Troops = 200 pts.
    Termagant Brood (30) - Fleshborer = 150 pts.
    Genestealer Brood (10) - Toxin Sacs = 170 pts.

== Fast Attack ==
    Gargoyle Brood (20) - AG, Toxin Sacs = 160 pts.

== Heavy Support ==
    Tyrannofex (1) - Rupture Cannon, Stinger Salvo, Thorax Swarm - Desiccator Larvae = 265 pts.

== Total ==
    2000 pts.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will definitely be implementing most of these changes for my competitive list, thanks a ton for the help. I'll have to do some play testing to see if I prefer the winged tyrant or one with guards, as well as the tyrannofex. I am very curious to see how a T-fex fairs, but all in all looks solid. But, man, the prices for 40k...this game is a money sink! Oh well, I'll make excuses to buy the rest of the stuff I need...

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

No worries!

Ha, unless you live in Australia you can't complain about GW's prices...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, just looked up your prices...all I can say is I am so sorry about that....just...wow...

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by fearisaphobia
    Wow, just looked up your prices...all I can say is I am so sorry about that....just...wow...
    Exactly. That's why I got to try and get as much of my stuff internationally as possible.

+ Reply to Thread