<3000 Nid Noob 2000 (No Tervigons!) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nid Noob 2000 (No Tervigons!)

So, I'm getting married!.....and therefore there is no time like the present to spend a ton of money on 40k before such purchases are subject to approval

This is part 1 of my dream: Having a Hive Fleet Kraken army to face off against a Lamenters army! (If you're a fluff nut; you know what that's about) I'll follow on with the Lamenters list later on; for now, it's the bugs' turn.

Note: I have never played bugs before; and can count on one hand how many times I've ever played against them. And games against them in this edition is a big fat donut hole.

So: don't hesitate to sigh and point at the obvious; chances are I've missed it.

HQ

Flyrant: Wings, Hive Commander- 255

ELITES

Zoanthropes x3- 180
    Hive Guard x3- 150
    Hive Guard x3- 150

TROOPS

Genestealers x20- 280
    Hormagaunts x10- 60
    Hormagaunts x10- 60
    Hormagaunts x10- 60
    Hormagaunts x10- 60
    Hormagaunts x10- 60

HEAVY SUPPORT

Mawloc: Adrenal Glands- 180
    Trygon Prime: Adrenal Glands- 250
    Trygon Prime: Adrenal Glands-250

TOTAL: 1995

The goal here is simple. The Flyrant does his thing; attempting to jump from cover-to-cover until he can whack something. The Zoey's provide synapse to the hormagaunts and Hive Guard. The Trygons and Mawloc deep strike and create havoc while the genestealers take advantage of hive commander and outflank. I know I'll be causing mayhem in my opponents lines; BUT, I am not without concerns:

Concern 1: Limited Synapse. If my Zoey's get fried; and they'll have a high target priority until my big bugs arrive, my advancing line and ranged anti-tank all contract a serious case of ADHD. I could mitigate this by losing the wings on the tyrant, taking some tyrant guard etc. Thoughts?

Concern 2: Kill Points. I thought about consolidating the hormies into 2 large blocks; but that limits my effectiveness and makes it easier for my opponent to kill them. I suppose I could take this from game to game.

Ok, I've rambled long enough...input? insults? diatribes? Should I add 3 Tervigons?

"They have us surrounded? Good! Now we can fire in every direction; those bastards won't get away this time!"
    -Chesty Puller

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
    So, I'm getting married!
    Congratulations!

OK, I've rambled long enough...input? insults? diatribes? Should I add 3 Tervigons?
    Welcome to the Hive!

Your last statement made me laugh out loud. You do not need Tervigons, unless you plan to be playing competitively (and want a secure Synaptic network). I do have a few pointers though:
    - You should have half that amount of Genestealers, and then equip them with Toxin Sacs. This makes them a lot more effective all-round.
    - Zoeys should be put in a Spore at all times to prevent their brains turning into a las-cushion. You only need two at this points level anyway.
    - Mawlocs are crap. They might sound good, but you have to have incredible luck and experience with them to be able to do anything useful with them.
    - You don't need two Trygon Primes, and neither of them need Adrenal Glands.
    - All Hormagaunts need to be equipped with Toxin Sacs, to get the best use out of them. Really Termagants and Tervigons work better, but anyway...
    - You seriously don't need that many Hormagaunt units. Get rid of one.
    - What's your Hive Tyrant going to do while advancing on the enemy? Do the Mexican Hat Dance? He needs guns... two sets of twin-linked Devourers with Brainleech Worms will suffice. This will soften up the bastards before you strike them down. Yes, Hive Tyrants are that good that they can be equipped for ranged purposes and still beat people up in melee.
    - You should get Warriors to aid with your Synapse.
    - You should also get 20 or so Gargoyles with both upgrades to pack some really good punch and give cover to your Hive Tyrant. They're great for that kind of stuff.

So, if you followed my pointers, your list would look something like this:

== HQ ==
    Hive Tyrant (1) - Twin-Linked Devourer - Brainleech Worms, Twin-Linked Devourer - Brainleech Worms, Wings, Paroxysm, Leech Essence = 260 pts.

== Elites ==
    Hive Guard Brood (3) = 150 pts.
    Hive Guard Brood (2) = 100 pts.
    Zoanthrope Brood (160 pts.)
    --> Zoanthrope (2) = 120 pts.
    --> Mycetic Spore (1) = 40 pts.

== Troops ==
    Genestealer Brood (10.) - Toxin Sacs = 170 pts.
    Hormagaunt Brood (20.) - Toxin Sacs = 160 pts.
    Hormagaunt Brood (20.) - Toxin Sacs = 160 pts.
    Tyranid Warrior Brood (5) - Deathspitter, Rending Claws, Toxin Sacs = 225 pts.

== Fast Attack ==
    Gargoyle Brood (22) - AG, Toxin Sacs = 176 pts.

== Heavy Support ==
    Trygon Prime (1) - Containment Spines, Trygon Prime Upgrade, Synapse Creature, Shadow In The Warp = 240 pts.
    Trygon (1) - Instinctive Behaviour - Feed = 200 pts.

== Total ==
    2001 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ

Hive Tyrant (1) - Twin-Linked Devourer - Brainleech Worms, Twin-Linked Devourer - Brainleech Worms, Wings, Paroxysm, Leech Essence = 260 pts

ELITES

Zoanthropes x2- 120
    Hive Guard x3- 150
    Hive Guard x2- 100

TROOPS

Genestealers x10- 140
    Genestealers x10- 140
    Hormagaunts x25- 150
    Termagaunts x24- 120
    Tervigon- 160

HEAVY SUPPORT

MAWLOC- 170
    Trygon Prime- 240
    Trygon Prime-240

TOTAL: 2000

I just coullllllllldn't resist that dang Tervigon. Curse you Robin Cruddace! This is 2.0 of my list; thanks enormously for the input, and please don't think me unaware that you are the vastly superior Nid player just because I didn't take all the advice. All hail the warlord and what not It's a fluff list meant to go against the Lamenters army I'm also building; I just don't want it to COMPLETELY suck.

I just also don't want a mechanical net list; hence the stubborn selection of Mawloc. I want my Lamenters (also a fluffy list) to not die horribly because my Nids are optimized and they aren't. (And no, I will not be playing against myself; but my friends are those "let's just use unpainted proxies from my Space Wolves army; those are my Canoptek Wraiths, and that Vindicator over there is my Ghost Ark.....sigh, the things I put up with....anywho: onward)

The shooty tyrant is a good idea. I've got the list up on dakka too and someone mentioned deep striking the flyrant. Initially I thought, "F&^$ yeah! Take that Tank X and Long Fang Squad Y; eat a Bonesword!" But then I realized they don't have the special protections from mishap that the Trygon Primes and Mawloc have; and a 260 point model biting the dust is unpalatable at best. Besides, his synapse would be wasted.

I took your genestealer thoughts into account. In my very unpractised opinion; I prefer unupgraded for 2 reasons. (1) They're already an expensive model for only having a 5+, (2) I don't necessarily want them to be wicked-boss-pwnface-1337 in combat. I want them to do some damage; but not enough to wipe them out during my turn's combat resolution.

On the mycetic spore for the Zoey's: You're absolutely right.....I just have no idea where I'm going to find 40 points in this list. I could lose 8 termagaunts, but a unit of 16 is dangerously close to useless. Or I could knock a Prime down to "just" trygon. My problem with that is of course instinctive behavior; lower LD, and with only one prime, higher chance that my hormies don't do what I want either. Now, part of the fun sometimes is going, "I don't know what they're doing, THEY don't know what they're doing, look! They just charged your empty rhino and they can't hurt it!" As a long time Ork player, I can appreciate the hilarity of some spontaneous combustion. I dunno; convince me? I'd lean towards knocking the prime down. One more question; do you really think the Zoey's will have a high enough target priority to get las'd to death? I guess a lot of that depends on my reserve rolls.....
    "They have us surrounded? Good! Now we can fire in every direction; those bastards won't get away this time!"
    -Chesty Puller

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
    ... It's a fluff list meant to go against the Lamenters army I'm also building; I just don't want it to COMPLETELY suck.
    Unfortunately, most (non-tailored) fun Tyranid builds get crushed by most armies, even when those other armies are playing well. In the Second Tyrannic War from which this battle is based, I believe the Lamenters are pretty well screwed by the Hive Fleet - with this list it'd be the other way round.

I just also don't want a mechanical net list; hence the stubborn selection of Mawloc.
    Yes. Mawlocs can be devastating. In fact they've taken out entire Terminator squads in a go for me. The trick is that you need to have really good luck, and you should probably have three of them as well. One key factor is that you shouldn't deploy either your Prime or your Mawloc in reserve - the Prime so you can utilise his Synapse, and the Mawloc so that it's guaranteed to arrive Turn 2 (check out its Burrow rule). I'm not saying it's bad - I'm just saying it is unreliable.

... I don't necessarily want them to be wicked-boss-pwnface-1337 in combat. I want them to do some damage; but not enough to wipe them out during my turn's combat resolution.
    Against the kind of targets they should be charging, you would probably win the combat anyway.

On the mycetic spore for the Zoey's: You're absolutely right.....I just have no idea where I'm going to find 40 points in this list... I could knock a Prime down to "just" trygon... One more question; do you really think the Zoey's will have a high enough target priority to get las'd to death?
    You've got your answer right there. If you Deep Strike the normal Trygon while fleeting with the Trygon Prime, they should sort of meet up and create a kind of pincer for the enemy. Very killy strategy, that one is.

If your opponent has ever played against a Tyranid player (which may be you) that is competent at using the Zoanthrope then yes they will be a big target!

EDIT: Surely when you read about the Tervigon you were thrilled about its Aura of auto-bonuses? I.E. free AG and TS and Counter-Attack for nearby gants? You should really give the Tervigon AG, TS, Catalyst (to FNP them) and Cluster Spines, maybe even some Scything Talons (a few extra power weapon attacks really does help against SM).
    Last edited by Warlord Vrrmik; March 10th, 2012 at 21:42.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I'm slowly being won over by the inexorable march of reason.

HQ

Hive Tyrant (1) - Twin-Linked Devourer - Brainleech Worms, Twin-Linked Devourer - Brainleech Worms, Wings, Paroxysm, Leech Essence = 260 pts

ELITES

Zoanthropes x2- 120
    Mycetic Spore- 40

Hive Guard x3- 150
    Hive Guard x2- 100

TROOPS

Genestealers x11- 154
    Genestealers x10- 140
    Hormagaunts x21- 126
    Termagaunts x21- 105

Tervigon: AG, TS, Catalyst- 195

HEAVY SUPPORT

MAWLOC- 170
    Trygon- 200 (There would really only be one Prime anyway right? I mean...if we're being fluffy.....)
    Trygon Prime-240

TOTAL: 2000

Tactical Revision: I'll deploy the Prime and the Mawloc to guarantee the turn 2 tunneling action. The "Just" Trygon will still DS. (Unless 6th edition seriously buffs fleet...)
    Last edited by The Shrike; March 11th, 2012 at 00:22.
    -Chesty Puller

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

That's a better list. Now all you need to do is ditch a Genestealer squad and give your Hormies and remaining Genes Toxin Sacs and you'll be relatively set, and if you can add a Hive Guard to that brood of two Hive Guard.

+ Reply to Thread