Welcome to Librarium Online!
hey everyone im new to tyranids and 40k in general this is my first list and its to learn and be somewhat good at 800 points, feedback please. ps: i dont want to field tyranid prime
HQ: tervigon -scything talons -catalyst -implant attacks 195pts (12 termagaunts to keep spawning)
TROOPS: warrior brood(3) -venom cannon -2 deathspitters 115pts
genestealers-toxin sacs -scything talon 152pts
termagaunt brood(16) 80pts
hormagaunt brood(16) adrenal glands
total: 790pts thanks ahead of time for feedback!
Before I comment, please read this thread: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-tyranids.html
It has all the information you need. Also, is this list supposed to competitive? Is there any theme? Apart from 'no Tyrant Primes', are there any rules and requirements for your list?
no there is no theme and no requirements id rather not have primes and and would like a list based off the tyranid battleforce, thanks.
and yes somewhat competitive but mainly to learn the game, thanks again!
The good news is that now you'll be able understand my comments seeing as you have read that thread. The bad news is that, for a competitive list, a Battleforce is not the best buy.
So let's do a run down of the Battleforce: Termagants... definitely. Hormagaunts... in some situations. Genestealers... when points allow. Warriors... mostly in non-competitive situations, and only if you know how to use them. Rippers... are most useful as objective markers, but that's pretty much it. So really the only unit that you needed were the Termagants (and perhaps Genestealers). You could've gone on eBay and bought five boxes of them for the same price. If you asked me I'd rather the five boxes of Termagants!
- The first thing I recommend you do is go through the last ten or so army lists posted on this forum (that are supposed to be competitive). There'll be a few defining features in all of them:
- HIVE GUARD! These guys are THE MOST IMPORTANT UNIT in all of the Tyranid codex. Why? Because they are the only unit equipped with a viable, reliable means to deal with vehicles and transports.
- Most non-MCs obtain benefits from Toxin Sacs and/or Adrenal Glands. This may be because they simply payed for it or it might be because of bonuses from other creatures, such as Tervigons.
- On the subject of Tervigons, when combined with Termagants, they make the only sort of competitive build that is yet known with our army. A Tervigon w/AG, TS, Cluster Spines and Catalyst (for the much needed Feel No Pain), when paired with a group of Termagants (the bigger the better) can make a devastating combination. Seeing as all Termagants benefit from a Tervigon' AG, TS, and gain the Counter Attack special rule, AND they get a 4+ FNP save, AND Counter Attack, there really is no cleverer (I checked, that is indeed a word) way to go.
- Where are the Warriors in these competitive lists? Well while there are still dodgy Instant Death rules and S10 AP2 Large Blasts going around the field they usually stay home in competitive games. EXCEPT when deployed in a Spore with Deathspitters, Dual Boneswords, and Toxin Sacs - I've been known to cause a lot of trouble that way.
- Genestealers are mostly featured as one unit, in a group of 10, with Toxin Sacs. This is simply because that's the most viable number. Eight will do for you. If you feel mean enough you can have 16 + Broodlord all equipped with Toxins. That's a nasty unit.
- So, where do Hormagaunts fit in? Why haven't you seen Hormagaunts? Well the answer is simple - those points could be better spent elsewhere. Sure, Hormagaunts are great. But not in a competitive list (or this kind of list, anyway). But to equal Termagants in the buffs you have to pay twice as much for them (assuming there is a Tervigon to FNP them (which there isn't), the Fleshborer is equal in value to the extra attack and Scything Talons, and the Bounding Leap is equivalent in prominence to Counter-Attack). Why would you bother in a competitive list?
- Don't even mention Rippers. That isn't even funny.
OK, with the aforementioned thread and these pointers in mind, I will... recreate your list. I will still include the Battleforce, and I only have three other unit additions (two Hive Guard (I really wanted to put more in but points and situation don't allow) and the Tervigon), making a relatively inexpensive army.
== HQ ==
Tervigon (1) - Scything Talons, Cluster Spines, AG, Toxin Sacs, Regeneration, Cat = 230 pts.
== Elites ==
Hive Guard (1) = 50 pts.
Hive Guard (1) = 50 pts.
== Troops ==
Tyranid Warrior Brood (3) - Deathspitter, Pair Of Boneswords, Toxin Sacs = 150 pts.
Termagant Brood (16) - Fleshborer = 80 pts.
Hormagaunt Brood (16) - Toxin Sacs = 128 pts.
Genestealer Brood (8) = 112 pts.
== Total ==
Hope this helps.