<1000 750 list for fighting grey knights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

750 list for fighting grey knights

Upate: thank you everyone for the tips on making a low point list for fighting grey knights. I took all your advice into consideration! This is what I came up with let me know what you think. Thanks again in advance.

=750pt

HQ: hive tyrant with lash whip/bonesword, sything talons
    Old adversary (leech essence)(paroxysm)=195pt

Elite: hive guard x 3 = 150pt

Troops: hormagaunts x 15 w/toxic sacs = 120pts
    Termagaunts x 18 = 90pt
    Tervigon w/adrenal glands & toxic sacs (catalyst)=195pts

That's what I got (be gentle I'm a noob) lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Yeah it's not bad mate, just a few swaps need to be made.

Firstly, a Tyrant at this points level. Just no. Not yet. At least wait until 1500.

Replace him with a Tervigon of the usual 195 point build. Then replace your Hormagaunts with Termagants. So what that's... 24 Termagants. You'll want to even up the numbers so you can get 21 in each squad. That way you have your main line of two Tervigons and Termagant body masses, at 750 points! Crikey!

Now your Hive Guard is perfect, just split them up, i.e. just one Hive Guard to fill all your elite slots up. That way you have three times the coverage. And that means that the sooner you're done with anti-tank, the sooner you can use those shots to pound some of those Grey Knights.

This army should do very well at such a low points level. Good luck!

4. ThanksTurdslingr thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Def all good pointers thanks by the way. My only problem with that is I only have one tervigon *sigh* I know I'm going to need another. My only other hq choice would be a tyranid prime. Or bump up the tervigon ad my hq and add something else in. What do you think?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Well that is rather unlucky.

Your old list should do fine then, just do what I advised with the Hive Guard and hopefully you'll be fine.

7. ThanksTurdslingr thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the hive tyrant is a lot of points not to give him tyrant guard, this pumps his points up even more, 1k + as a rule before you run him. however if you run him in this list you need a guard or he's not getting a cover save and he gona die turn 1 turn two if you get lucky. the hormagants are a wast of points at this size as your running a tervigon, get on ebay there is a seller who sells weapon arms in bulk get 16 of the flesh boarer cut the talons on get the guns on.

when running a tervigon max those units of tgants out to 30 and bang in a warrior prime...or two.

vs grey knights for your hQ really you want two warrior primes with lash whip and bone swords and talons, get the exact amount of attack as your tyrant each, cost the same points for both, they are also synapse but can hide in units....all of the perks, none of the weakness. bang them in the same unit and slice up most of the marines before they get to attack, your better WS with talon reroll missed 1's to hit, I6 on the charge with toxin reroll to wound as they benefit from the brood progenitor rule if with tgants, ignoring Armour saves = lots of dead marines ;P

don't split your hive guard up that's making your army worth two more kill points, unless your not playing mission rules and its straight up killing.

9. ThanksTurdslingr thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Genoraptor View Post
    the hive tyrant is a lot of points not to give him tyrant guard, this pumps his points up even more, 1k + as a rule before you run him. however if you run him in this list you need a guard or he's not getting a cover save and he gona die turn 1 turn two if you get lucky. the hormagants are a wast of points at this size as your running a tervigon, get on ebay there is a seller who sells weapon arms in bulk get 16 of the flesh boarer cut the talons on get the guns on.
    I agree on this one. A Hive Tyrant at this level is a bit risky, but if he can pull it off then it would be very worthwhile for him.

when running a tervigon max those units of tgants out to 30 and bang in a warrior prime...or two.
    Maxing them out to 30 is expensive ($$$ wise and points wise), unnecessary at this points level, and tactically disadvantageous. Sure, you may be able to soak up some more wounds, but boy is that block going to be an easy target for blast and flame weapons! They're toast even with any FNP that they get. Additionally manoeuvrability is going to be a pain in the ass, I don't know about you but I usually go for 4'x4' boards at this points level, so it would be even worse. God forbid your board is loaded with terrain. I'd go 15-20 AT MOST at this points level, I'd only ever really consider 30 at 1500+.

Then again this is just all based on opinions and experiences, doesn't make me right or you wrong.

vs grey knights for your hQ really you want two warrior primes with lash whip and bone swords and talons, get the exact amount of attack as your tyrant each, cost the same points for both, they are also synapse but can hide in units....all of the perks, none of the weakness. bang them in the same unit and slice up most of the marines before they get to attack, your better WS with talon reroll missed 1's to hit, I6 on the charge with toxin reroll to wound as they benefit from the brood progenitor rule if with tgants, ignoring Armour saves = lots of dead marines ;P
    Solid advice here, well justified.

don't split your hive guard up that's making your army worth two more kill points, unless your not playing mission rules and its straight up killing.
    That's the beauty of cover mate if you're smart about it then your Hive Guard should always manage a cover save. 4+ from Termagants equals its armour save as well as the fact that you get it regardless of AP. And why only have the potential to kill a vehicle a turn when you can kill three a turn for the same price? Be smart with them. You get much better results. Once the vehicles are gone they're free to just pound stuff into the ground.

11. ThanksTurdslingr thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Vrrmik View Post
    Maxing them out to 30 is expensive ($$$ wise and points wise), unnecessary at this points level, and tactically disadvantageous. Sure, you may be able to soak up some more wounds, but boy is that block going to be an easy target for blast and flame weapons! They're toast even with any FNP that they get. Additionally manoeuvrability is going to be a pain in the ass, I don't know about you but I usually go for 4'x4' boards at this points level, so it would be even worse. God forbid your board is loaded with terrain. I'd go 15-20 AT MOST at this points level, I'd only ever really consider 30 at 1500+.
    waste points me? never lol! I am very good at writing optimized lists, tyranids are my fav army and even with them been my least effective at tournament army have always done very well and finished around or on top table with nids. (alas not crown with them yet, i did however lose once on painted points only, over a day event having won all my games by a massacre)

$$ wise gants are fairly cheap you can buy the 5 click fix termagants for BNIB £5 from Gw. but i personally i got all mine from ebay willing to place a bid no higher than 35pence per figure.

Please fill the board with terrain the unit in question has move through cover.

a any size they are getting flamed regardless of number, more numbers mean the unit can soak it up. unless it 10 burner boys shooting out of a battle wagon, I'm very happy with a fnp save vs flame in a large unit.

i run max units of gants for many reasons, yes its MI but war gaming is totally about what your own opinion is.

firstly you can only cast FnP on one unit at turn, any general who has a shred of seance will blast a unit that is easier to kill. Give them less options and make them as uninviting as possible, by been a big unit with buffs is one way to do this. Please don't feel I'm patronizing you when i say this... The game is balanced on points and 150points is a fairly standard amount to spend on one of your core units, spend too few on a unit and its effectiveness is not comparable to your opponent who invested in his/her unit.

but it mostly comes from a strategy with tervigons.
    At range 13in+ most armies find it much harder to kill a T6 W6 model, due the assault weapons with high Ap and S like PG and MG been most effective at 12 or having range 12. for your gants to be effective you must have at least some part of the unit within 6in of the monster. A long single tail of gants (more gants means more in cc+the mandatory tail) leading back to the tervigon from the front line with one in base contact slightly behind the tervigons front edge means that even if you are charge you will not be pulled out of the 6in bubble needed for all the specials rules and keep out the tervigon out of effective range of plasma, fusion gun, blaster, melta etc untill your smaller unit tie up in CC.

as to relying on making your cover saves and splitting hive guard to single models, I fully agree that been able to shoot at more than one target on the chance you kill with your other shots is fantastic, but weigh that against the fact its very easy to make you take tonnes of cover saves each turn, the thing that will keep them alive long enough to shoot is FNP in the first turn. if ran in single units of hive guard that dont all get the fNp, two will be gone turn one, dead to rifleman dreads been the most likely first target before they get in to range shoot, but thats the tournament player in me thinking. His opposition may not be running what is considered probably the most effect long range killer point for point units in the Gn book, but id have at least two.
    Last edited by Genoraptor; April 24th, 2012 at 16:13.

13. ThanksTurdslingr thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i assume that you will want to use your tervigon as much a possible, and so will need more gants. if your not looking to spend much money, you can get the guns on ebay for around £5+p&p and turn all your 16 homos into tgants this gives your a few to spawn new units with.

Doom of mal is awesome vs grey knights, and is an easy fun green stuff scratch build if you have few monster spares from your tyrant kit...particularly if is the new plastic tyrant kit you have it, but beware the dreads with psy bolt autocannons.

15. ThanksTurdslingr thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I got the last few thread responses a bit late, I'm sorry to say. But thanks just the same for your advice. It all made sense. Unfortunatly lost my battle against the silver clad f'ers. Lol. The tervigon only spawned three tgaunts thanks to a spectacular triple one spawning roll. That was followed shortly by storm bolter fire reducing the remainder of gaunts to mush before murdering what was left with terminators. But then following game my opponent humorred me with a game against imperial guard where I pretty much wiped the floor with him. Thanks again for all your help and I will certainly use this again as I'm sure it won't be the last time I face grey knight, and a lot of helpful hints for low point games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just a question and a reply to your Tervigon statement, do you actually support Tervigon. In any situation it is a waste of points as I see it. Please give a nice arguement of how Tervigons are actually worth it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast