<2000 Footdar List in Adepticon Finals - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Footdar List in Adepticon Finals

Sooo just posting the footdar list that made it into the finals a adepticon.... i dont get it, but maybe you do...

HQ
    eldrad

Elites
    5 fire dragons: exarch w/fire pike & crack shot

5 fire dragons: exarch w/fire pike & crack shot

10 harlies: 10xkisses, shadowseer

Troops
    10 DA

10 DA

10 DA

10 guardians: shuri-cannon

3 guardian jetbikes

Heavy Support
    wraithlord: EML, brightlance

wraithlord: EML, brightlance

3 war walkers: all scatterlasers

what's adepticon played at? is it 1850? i think this is an 1850 list...

anyway the guy made it into the finals and lost to a dragowing list... i think its pretty amazing he made it that far/won any games at all. i just dont understand footdar... what you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    248 (x5)

It works just because it's completely unexpected and messes with the metagame. People expect mech mech mech and when they see a list with none it throws them off. Depends on what the game scenarios were too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it shouldnt really matter if your list is meched up or not.. a good tourny army and player can deal with anything...that said i dont really know how this army can stand up to DE or any GK army... i guess the missions balanced it out... but then again i dont think this army will be that hard to blow apart for anyone and when your getting stomped it's hard to win missions.

reading his batreps, which dont show a lot of detail, it sounds like he got lucky most of his games.

The drago wing guy just kinda walked his pally squad into the middle of his army and he couldnt do anything about it... he did tie tony kopach. i would like to learn more about that game.

i mean the only real ranged shooting that can deal with tanks is the heavy support...

all someone has to do is sink all their ranges AT into the war walkers, then shoot the dragons, then move forward.

the harlies can only hurt you in CC, so you just wait for them to get close then shoot them or just stay in your tank. the DA can only hurt you on foot. the dragons do have a 18" range with the fire pike, but if the dragons are that close then i think it would be hard ot keep them alive... i mean the guy who played them is obviously good...
    Last edited by kkedlar123; April 27th, 2012 at 20:14.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I believe it works mostly because as i play tournaments more and more, i believe less and less that their is an ability to truly field an all comers list. Lists will always be lacking in something. For example, I know that my list does not do well with terminators. I have good anti'tank, and good anti troop, even good anti-MEQ, but i will struggle if some one throws a list with a large number of terminators.

Eldar on foot capitalize on the fact that most armies do not do well against large numbers of light troops. The current meta is anti-transport, don't give that Rifleman Dread a transport to pop, and all he had is a, expensive walker killing maybe 2 infantry models a turn with good dice rolls.
    Army's used: Space Wolves, Tomb Kings, High Elves, Tyranids, Tau and Eldar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

willance,

i get what your saying and the more i think about this list the more i like it, but the the thing is:

1) there are things to shoot with the riflemen. they shoot the war walkers, then your dragons, then your avatar/wraithlords.

2) if they have riflemen, lets face it, they are propably GK and then they have storm bolters and psycannons, which are really good at killing troops.

... i dont know why i keep countering you guys. i guess i just want more explaination as to why/how this works against the kinds of armies on the tournament scene... i get that you cant bring an army that is truely all comers as somehting out there will just beat you, but this list just loses to so many of the armeis out there now that is makes little sense to me...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I suppose that all i could tell you is to try it then. The Rifleman is just an example, of course it could shoot at the walkers.

Also, saying that rifleman dreads will turn one shoot at the walkers ignores that they might out flank, which he did, or that he is actually able to kill them that turn instead of taking more then one. Also, for a rifle man dread to shoot at Fire Dragons is a waist as i was illustrating. You have your Fire Dragons behind a unit of the harlequins or what ever he was using to screen, and get the 4 up cover save. The dragons will be in range before you kill them off. You will, on average, kill 1.5 dragons a turn. All this assumes too that the Wraithlords, and Warwalkers did not kill it also.

It is very hard to theory hammer this concept as it is alien to the 5th ed crowd. My normal army is Tyranids, where screening is my substitute for vehicles. The same theory applies to Eldar on foot. They just get an advantage to this as they still have the range to shoot effectively while moving.

Like I said earlier, try playing a few games with out transports. You will lose at first but once you relearn the tactics, it will seem less confusing.

I am not saying that Eldar on foot are better, but a good player will always be better then a good list.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    248 (x5)

Long range shooting will not be able to target the troop blob reliably because of the Shadowseer. They'll be limited to the Walkers, Wraithlord and Avatar, which they should be shooting anyway. But those units should be shake/stunning the long range vehicles anyway. The Av and Harlies are probably Fortuned every turn so they'll survive.

It also depends on matchups. Maybe the Eldar player didn't play too many Dragowings til the finals. I'm not taking away anything from them as a player, they're clearly good, but it takes a little luck as well on who you draw.

Is there any way we can see details on the games? This will probably be funny as a bunch of netlisters will be scrambling to buy Eldar models and get destroyed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you go on bloodofkittens, they have the video of the footdar guys final game (the one he lost) and they should have his list.

i also googled "adepticon footdar army" and i found a blog post on bell of lost souls that the footdar guy wrote where he talks about his games.

i mean, he is clearly a very very good eldar player, i just cant help to think what would have happened if someone that good brought a more conventional eldar list.

also, i think in the commentary on the video they say that this list is anti Gk... i dont buy that... i think the list is hard to deal with because it's not that easy to kill all the guys on foot, but certainly just about any army can do it...

interesting though that the footdar did a lot better than i thought they could ever do... something to think about if they nerf tanks in 6th...

i also think some of the unit selections are interesting. like not upgrading the DA. i dont run full squads of DA so i wouldnt know what is good or bad, but a lot of people making footdar lists on this forum upgrade the DA w/bladestorm & stuff... apparently it's better to save the points... also no FP on the harlies, making them CC only and unable to pop a tank before charging in...

i think somewhere they also said the guy was finding the wraithlords werent making the cut and that this was the last time he was going to run them in the army... i definitely think this army would be scarier w/ some EML walkers, but thats a lot of points and a lot of large bases cluttering your deployment zone...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by kkedlar123 View Post
    i mean, he is clearly a very very good eldar player, i just cant help to think what would have happened if someone that good brought a more conventional eldar list.
    That's just it. He wouldn't do better with a conventional list because the list is tied to the player. The more you use unit combinations the better you are with them. It is more about the experience gained then the actual list at this point. Now, some one starting with the normal fire dragon, dire avenger spam, would be just as good of a player as the Footdar guy with equal practice, but it would not be as obvious as the list being an internet list would get all the credit.

I am interested to see battle reports from you kkeldar123 as it seems we have very different play styles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Willance,

i'm not going post any battle reports. i might post some lower point level games... i dont want to give my army away before NOVA and by that time 6th would have dropped so no one will care about my 5th ed army (unless i do really well at NOVA, but that's unlikely)... my goal is to go 4-2 at NOVA (it is 6 games this year unless you make it into the finals). I went 4-4 (2-2 on day one and 2-2 on day two) last year, losing one game (on day one) because i failed 5 dangerous terrain test on turn 5... and another (on day two) because i forgot to get a DA squad out of my falcon to run onto an objective...

anyway, i just want to say that i'm not trying to take anything away from the guy who played the footdar. i actually really like the list and i think it's great that he did so well.

what i actually meant by "i cant help to think what would have happened if someone that good brought a more conventional list" is that there was probably only one conventional eldar list at adepticon (if there was one at all) and obviously that guy didnt do so well and i would have liked to have seen someone competent show up with a good conventional eldar army just to see how they would do...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast