<2000 New to WH40K - 1500 First Nid List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to WH40K - 1500 First Nid List

Hello everyone!

New to the game and all, been doing lots of research and looking whatnot up to make a list/select units for my army. Mostly will be playing 1500pts.

Here is what I have.

Swarmlord 280pts
    Parasite Of Mortrex 160 pts

Doom of Malan'tai + Mycetic Spore w/ Stranglethorn 170pts
    Venomthrope 55pts
    Deathleaper 140pts
    Trygon Prime -AG + Regen 275pts
    Mawloc - 170pts

Hormagaunt Brood x21 -TS 192pts

Gargoyle Brood x10 AG + TS 80pts

_____

1498pts total

Now, before I get torn apart and turned into biomass. Hear me out.

Swarmlord advances behind Prime, with Venomthrope and 21x hormies. Gives hormies Furious Charge. Venomthrope gives cover saves for all around it. Trygon Prime is there as a big distraction, and to soak up fire, hence the regen. I can always burrow the Prime and make him pop up somewhere inconvenient for my opponent. Doom is DSed in along with Mawloc to cause havoc, and confusion behind/in the enemy lines. What do they shoot, the hormies, swarmlord and trygon or the dudes that just popped up and are tearing shit up. Parasite and gargoyles outflank to pick out targets/stragglers, Parasite hopefully spawns a few ripper swarms. Deathleaper comes in and out strategically to take out hit targets, and too mess with my opponents head, hahaha.

With that said, I'm not out to win trophies, I just want to kill some shit, and have fun doing it.

Okay let me have it, good, bad. Let's hear the opinions, and what you would change. I'm new so I don't know all the mechanics. I've only played 2 games with friends and they were like 750 pts.

EDIT~ After some more reading, I'm going to ditch the deathleaper, and throw in x2 Tyrant Guard (120pts) but dunno if I should leave them with STs, or go with L Wh, or BS?

Last edited by dukegarda; May 22nd, 2012 at 04:14.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Hello! Welcome to the hive!

There are two main problems with the list.
    1. It's illegal. You don't have two troops choices.
    2. You have no anti-tank. Not one single bit. Excluding melee, which does not really count because it is very unreliable, you don't have anything that can properly deal with vehicles.

I won't go into further detail, otherwise I will end up completely reforming your list, which I don't want to do. Just have a think.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Exact same comments as Vrrmik for the most part, though I'll make a few of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by dukegarda View Post
    Swarmlord 280pts
    He's really not worth taking at 1500 points. And like any other walking Hive Tyrant, he needs at least one Tyrant Guard.

Parasite Of Mortrex 160 pts
    Why?
    Swarmlord advances behind Prime, with Venomthrope and 21x hormies. Gives hormies Furious Charge.
    Solid, I guess. The Swarmlord and Venomthrope are going to lag behind, though. I really don't think you have the critical mass to pull this off.

Venomthrope gives cover saves for all around it.
    Keep it safe, they are stupidly easy to kill.

Trygon Prime is there as a big distraction, and to soak up fire, hence the regen.
    One Trygon is not a distraction, it's just dead. This is your only real big threat and every single AT gun is going to be shooting at it. All Regen is going to do is guarantee that your enemy focus-fires it down in a single turn rather than over one or two turns.

A single Trygon is just plain dead. Always take two or take none at all.

I can always burrow the Prime and make him pop up somewhere inconvenient for my opponent.
    Bad idea, I'll explain why at the end of my post.

Doom is DSed in along with Mawloc to cause havoc, and confusion behind/in the enemy lines
    Always start with the Mawloc on the board if you take him (I wouldn't). That way you guarantee he comes in on turn 2 rather than having to depend on reserve rolls.

What do they shoot, the hormies, swarmlord and trygon or the dudes hat just popped up and are tearing shit up.
    You are assuming that they all show up at once. When using reserves, this is a very poor assumption to make. I can answer that questions though.

1) Trygon
    2a) Hormagaunts
    2b) Dudes that popped up (if they actually did)
    3) Swarmlord

You're honestly not making the decision as hard as you think you are.

Deathleaper comes in and out strategically to take out hit targets, and too mess with my opponents head, hahaha.

EDIT~ After some more reading, I'm going to ditch the deathleaper, and throw in x2 Tyrant Guard (120pts) but dunno if I should leave them with STs, or go with L Wh, or BS?
    Lash Whips if you have the points, IMO. They aren't there to kill anything, they are there to protect the Swarmlord.

Hookai, here is the biggie. You are making some very classical noob mistakes regarding Tyranids (don't worry about it, I did the same). You have some good units in the army, but in a lot of cases you're thinking of them all as separate entities. Swarmlord + Thrope, Hormies, Prime, Mawloc, Gargoyles + Parasite.

With Tyranids you simply can't break them down into separate blocks like that. You have to think about how every single unit works with every other unit in the army. More than any other faction out there, Tyranids need 100% synergy or they will fail miserably. Every single unit needs to be supported by the entirety of the rest of the army. You do have the Swarmlord + Thrope + Hormagants figured out.....but what about the rest?

No single bug (reptile) can stand alone. One squad of hormagaunts is dead. One Trygon is dead. One Venomthrope is dead. Make sure you have a role for each unit....but that's still not enough....once you have a role defined you need to figure out how that role will be preformed in relation to the rest of the army. You aren't Marines or IG that can get away with operating in separate cells.

And on top of that, you have 3 distinct waves of troops. That is a very, very bad thing with Tyranids. The entire army needs to advance as a whole, not come in piecemeal. You have the right idea in that you want the throw an overwhelming amount of choices at the enemy....but this list doesn't come close to doing it. You need one solid wave, or one wave supported by ranged elements (Hive Guard, Walking Tyrants, Tyrannofex).

And like Vrrmik said, you need ranged AT. You can never have enough of it as Tyranids. Here's a sad little fact about the army:

Tyranids are a terrible close-combat army

They simply don't have the tools to do it. You need ranged support in order to do well. Blood Angles and Space Wolves can do close-combat because each of their CC squads also have a ranged element that (meltaguns, etc) that can also deal with vehicles and a variety of opponents. Tyranids units unfortunately are very one-dimensional and have no duality what so ever.

If you think of Nids as more a combined-arms army you will do much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehehe. Gotcha. Let's try this instead. Parasite seemed like a cool idea to fly around with goyls, I figured they would fly out of range.

And here's my dilemna, I got into this whole thing hoping to just paint, now I want to play. My friend got me into the whole thing, and I agreed to it. So I want to use the models I have (otherwise I'll feel like I wasted money, plus want to avoid buying more models if I can. With that said, money isn't an issue, but I dont have a bottomless wallet. I have the following models, and would love to incorporate as many of them as possible, so if you guys have a better list, then let her rip, but consider the models I have.

Hive Tyrant Kit (with wings) (prepped for primer in pieces), Trygon Prime painted, Mawloc painted, 24 hormagaunts paints, 12 hormagaunts still wrapped in plastic in the box (might return these if I don't need em, 10 gargoyles painted, biovore my friend gave me with 20 mines, and some ripper swarms he also gave me. <-He got them from some garage sale and just scooped everything up, was going to resell on ebay but thought of me first.

So here's my revised list. I think I meet all the requirements.

Swarmlord 280pts
    |---> x2 Tyrant Guard -LW- 130pts

-- HS --
    Trygon Prime -AG- 235pts
    Mawloc 170pts

-- Elites --
    Doom of Malan'tai + Mycetic Spore w/ Stranglethorn -170pts
    Hive Guard Brood x2 -100pts
    Hive Guard Brood x2 -100pts

--Troops--
    Hormagaunt Brood x10 AG+TS - 100pts
    Hormagaunt Brood x16 TS - 128pts

--Fast Attack--
    Gargoyles x10 TS+AG 80pts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by dukegarda View Post
    And here's my dilemna, I got into this whole thing hoping to just paint, now I want to play. My friend got me into the whole thing, and I agreed to it. So I want to use the models I have (otherwise I'll feel like I wasted money, plus want to avoid buying more models if I can. With that said, money isn't an issue, but I dont have a bottomless wallet. I have the following models, and would love to incorporate as many of them as possible, so if you guys have a better list, then let her rip, but consider the models I have.
    I hear you, Tyranids are just expensive (more so than others, unfortunately).

Ditch the AG on the hormagaunts.....they aren't needed. Toxin is good enough.

10 Gargoyles really don't do much. Two units of 18 hormagaunts would be great, though. A Mawloc + Trygon + 36 hormaguants running forward can be a decent threat. Not having Catalyst active is going to suck, so stick to cover as much as possible when doing this. The Hive Guard are good support. If you need the points, Swarmie can get away with only one guard at 1500.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I think what i'll do is drop the gargoyles, leave the two tyrant guard, give the mawloc AG, and have two brood of 25 hormagaunts. I was reading their numbers are still decently effective against basic infantry, especially considering they will die, and as casualties add up for the ag hormies, the unti becomes weaker and weaker. With more hormies, theres more meat shield, and the numbers stay higher longer, for more turns. This is the logic at least that I read on dakka dakka.

+ Reply to Thread